How does resolution work?

MrFluff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
From what I understand in cameras and dash cams, the better the resolutions, the more details you will see. As in, VGA 640x480 in the amount of pixels in it, right? So the bigger the number, the better the clarity. In terms of license plates reading, the background and the type of headlights you're using also has an impact.

Now, how do sensors work? The better the sensor the better it records the information?
How does that work for cameras using a DVR ? I'm asking because I saw this:
http://dx.com/p/ec-th2043-728-x-582-pixels-wired-ccd-waterproof-car-rearview-camera-black-189948

From my understanding of this, the 520 lines doesn't seem to matter much for the quality/resolution. The pixels will be 728x582 so it's just slightly better than VGA ? If you use a DVR box, can you alter the quality for the better?

I don't know how to explain it but the best i could do is say maybe start reading here

How does that work for cameras using a DVR ? I'm asking because I saw this:
http://dx.com/p/ec-th2043-728-x-582-pixels-wired-ccd-waterproof-car-rearview-camera-black-189948

From my understanding of this, the 520 lines doesn't seem to matter much for the quality/resolution. The pixels will be 728x582 so it's just slightly better than VGA ? If you use a DVR box, can you alter the quality for the better?

although it has more pixels it will still only use 480 vertical lines, it's still an analogue camera

The camera you have been looking at is only for orientation purpose when reversing in your car, and that camera will send a regular NTSC/PAL TV signal witch you can plug into your headunit so that you can see what the camera see behind your car. ( or into a DVR if you want to record that signal )

i have personally been using a 4 channel DVR and 4 cctv kameras in my car, and it will be good enuff to log what is going on inside your taxi / bus, but for logging what goes on around your car it is not usefull.

My DVR and 4 cameras where all D1 witch is the highest resolution for analoge CCTV gear, it will not be possible to sacle up a signal, like when you zoom too far in on a photo it will just get grainy the more you scale up / zoom in.

There is many sensors, my CCTV cams used sony sensors and sony DSP`s called EFFIO-E ( consumer grade ) - EFFIO-S ( mid range ) and most expensive EFFIO-P ( professional grade )
Within CCTV there is allso brands like pixim and Sharp + others im sure.
Within dashcams there is allso a jungle of image chips and signal prosessing chips, but i am sure there other ppl here know more about that than i do.

Here is a video of my CCTV gear when it was in my car, dont mind me speaking Danish there is links in the description to both DVR and cameras i use.

You can get HD CCTV kameras witch can transmit a HD signal via coax cable, but those kind of cameras and DVR recorders is expensive ( it is called HD-SDI cameras and DVR )
But normally HD CCTV cameras use a normal Network cable, and then they are called IP cameras, those kind of cameras normally unload ther footage on a PC or a NAS box.
As soon as you get up into good 1080 P IP cameras the prize allso get quite high. ( make even the best car dashcams seem dirt cheap )

Most dashcams to my knowlege use the 12 mm MTV Mount lenses witch is allso used in CCTV Cameras,There is a lot of sizes but one have to be carefull as many lenses is for the lower resolution CCTV kameras, but offcourse megapixel lenses can allso be found at desent prizes.

If you want to record what goes on around your car a real dashcam is the only way to go.

The resolution is only one link in the chain. Remember, a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. In this case we have the lens quality, the image sensor, and the recorded resolution.

Lens Quality: A lens must be sharp enough to resolve the detail. A poor quality lens will render a fuzzy image as best.

The Image Sensor: In general higher resolution is better, BUT if the lens lacks the resolution and/or the recorded resolution doesn't not support the higher resolution of the image sensor, it's pointless.

Recorded Resolution:
The image will never be any sharper than the recorded resolution. 640(h) x 480(v) = low resolution ---> 1920(h) x 1080(v) = high resolution.

A good quality camera has to have all 3 of these components working properly to resolve the sharpest image possible. The DVR207 offers 1280x720 recording, BUT it falls short in sharpness and does not appear to record the true detail that 1280(h) x 720(v) can offer, so the image is fuzzy.

Sadly, there is NOT any single camera specification or combination of specifications that give the true sharpness of any camera. A camera that records 1920(h) x 1080(v) could have the capacity to give a very sharp image, BUT you have to see what users are saying about that camera. Do they call the image sharp OR do they complain about how fuzzy the image is?

resolution.png

Mmmm Hasselblad :D havent used my C 500 mutch :oops: i thend to grab a cheaper SLR / Dslr
Allso sold off my darkroom equipment many years ago.

Just picked up a small D5200 Nikon for my point and shoot needs. its only my second Dslr ( not counting a pocket cam from samsung )

Back