How good is the audio recording?

Toasticuss

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am on the verge of buying this camera, but there are a few things holding me back, I can't seem to find any good videos showing off the audio recording. Is it very quiet?

If someone is talking to you from outside of your car will it pick up their voice?

Has anyone tried some way of using a suction mount for this camera? Some one mentioned using zip ties on a suction mount but it seems like that would just make it shake while driving.

Toasticuss said:
I am on the verge of buying this camera, but there are a few things holding me back, I can't seem to find any good videos showing off the audio recording. Is it very quiet?

If someone is talking to you from outside of your car will it pick up their voice?

Has anyone tried some way of using a suction mount for this camera? Some one mentioned using zip ties on a suction mount but it seems like that would just make it shake while driving.

That's a very good question. I have been thinking that an external microphone jack would be nice. That way you could wear a wireless mic if you had to leave the vehicle and end up at the front or rear and need to record what was said. The quality otherwise is pretty good. I have it at the lowest setting and it always picks up my stereo which isn't all that load. I don't see a good way to use a suction mount as the bottom needs to be in contact with the plastic mount that's supplied with it so it can swivel. It isn't flat and has a pair of gear like wheels that aid in the turning. I can't imagine why you would want to mount the plastic fixture to a suction mount but it could be done.

Toasticuss said:

Not only, as Al mentioned, would the swivel action of the mount probably be affected; But more importantly the bottom of the cam's "foot" which inserts into the plastic windshield mount is where the GPS antenna is and should be up against the glass or at least have an unobstructed view of the sky.

As far as the audio. I cannot answer your question exactly, but the audio does seem pretty good. Not overly loud with road noise but does capture anything audible in the cabin. Also has several sensitivity settings for gain.

Mine was distorting when recording my car's Beats Hifi. So I changed the sensitivity from the default 3 to 2 and it's fine now. I'd rate the sound quality as well above average esp. with option to adjust the sensitivity.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jazzist said:
Mine was distorting when recording my car's Beats Hifi. So I changed the sensitivity from the default 3 to 2 and it's fine now. I'd rate the sound quality as well above average esp. with option to adjust the sensitivity.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm happy with the quality of audio we have but I have to say the adjustable sensitivity is a good thing to have to be able to fine tune like that

Here's a sample video with sound on:

http://vimeo.com/66061915

Note that Vimeo ruins the video quality somewhat (and probably the audio..).

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another just with the DAB radio on:

https://vimeo.com/66074932

A bit quiet at setting 2 but leaves allot of headroom for car engine and loud music :D

It's clear enough if you turn it up though :?:

Tweaked the alignment slightly to straighten her up as well which is shown in this clip. About the best I can do.

:geek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the recording set at 3 with the latest firmware and audio is crisp for engine, talking at normal volume, etc. I did get distortion when I had my stereo blasting but it was mostly from my subwoofer. As for an external mic, I don't know what the point of that would be for, unless your turning your car into an interrogation room on wheels :lol:

everglades said:
I have the recording set at 3 with the latest firmware and audio is crisp for engine, talking at normal volume, etc. I did get distortion when I had my stereo blasting but it was mostly from my subwoofer. As for an external mic, I don't know what the point of that would be for, unless your turning your car into an interrogation room on wheels :lol:

I have had the occasion to be outside and in front of my car exchanging papers and conversing with the "other guy" and thought it might be nice to have a recording of what was said. If I had a microphone to show the guy he might feel different about denying whose fault it was. If the cops show up he might be more inclined to tell it like it was instead of lying. IMHO.

Al Drake said:
everglades said:

I have had the occasion to be outside and in front of my car exchanging papers and conversing with the "other guy" and thought it might be nice to have a recording of what was said. If I had a microphone to show the guy he might feel different about denying whose fault it was. If the cops show up he might be more inclined to tell it like it was instead of lying. IMHO.

That makes complete sense to me. I foolishly assumed that when you mentioned an external Mic, it would be installed within your vehicle instead of the obvious, being your exterior. I don't think that's a bad idea at all. I will say that in scenarios where we have our cams rolling and do need to step in front our outside to talk with that "other guy" it is always wise to put your cell phone video recorder (or sound recording app) on and slip it in your pocket. It's pretty easy to sync two recordings.

I recently had to do so when I caught and confronted a would be criminal in the parking lot of my home. I have a wireless network IP surveillance camera system outside of my condo but due to state law am unable to record audio when I am not present. We have whats called "one party consent" meaning I CAN record audio secretly as long as I consent to recording myself, BUT with home surveillance cameras, if you are not outside during the course of the crime you can not have audio attached to that video. So in the case I am referencing I was able to confront said criminal on camera but with audio recording coming from my pocket and the prosecutor was able to sync the two together. :cool:

Back