How hard would it be to make a case?

MrFluff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Few cameras out there that aren't waterproof like I would like them to be. I'm just wondering how complicated it would be to make such a case.

For example this one, http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/BUD-INDUSTRIES-AN-1301-/28-8645

It's a waterproof metal casing. Could easily fit a Mobius from the size, metal to take out the heat when it's outside and seems sturdy... but how hard would it be to make a hole and put a lens cover onto it to be able to make it a camera/dashcam waterproof casing?

That could work, use silicone adhesive to seal a piece of plexiglass to a hole for the camera to see out of. If you took the dash cam apart you could attach any internal heat sink to the inside of the case and have a nice heat sink.
Another thing you might try is an Otterbox, or something like it, basically a clear waterproof box. Sealing a small hole for the power wires would be easier and the camera could just be set up to "see" through a side of the clear case. Not as much cooling with the plastic case, which may be an issue.

I initially thought about this case for a Raspberry Pi but then figured the Mobius would be as good (or any other dash cam that isn't waterproof/have casing for it).

Just a piece of plexiglass would work? I was thinking of using a lens cover like the ones on the gopro cases. However, I think that's made for wide angles so I'm not sure it'd work... Same with taking it apart. I thought in cameras like the Mobius, the casing holds the lens in place no?

Didn't think about the Otterbox but I'd prefer a metal casing personally. I also thought that for the camera to see clearly, I'd need a proper lens cover and not just some plexiglass or any plastic casing. Wouldn't it impact the quality?

Plexiglass is optically as clear as a wind shield would be; just make sure not to scratch it. You are probably right about the Otterbox, it does not look as clear from what I saw online. Depending on the camera used you might be able to take it apart and drill a hole to insert the lens assembly through, then seal around it. The more I think about this seems like trying to reinvent the GoPro camera. Dont let that stop you if you really want to do this. Doing things like this is always fun and you learn a lot in the process.

in germany they sell some kind of liquid plastic....brand "plasti dip"
you could just enclose your camera fully with such plastic....for the lens you would need some kind of see through plastic
that might work and be cheap
dont know if that would cause heat problems and which water depth it would be able to keep it water proof though

Back