how many of you think rear cameras are important?

it's harder to make the business case to make a 2 channel cam but only supply the rear camera as an accessory, it's a lot more costly to do it this way

I am a buyer type which don't like to be forced to do something I don't want. So if I consider I don't need the rear camera I will not buy the hole dashcam (even I like it) just because I am thinking I am spending my money on a thing I will not use it.
But if my dashcam have a hole for the second channel and I feel I need the rear camera then I will spend the money on it. I do the same thing for my old car and buying some accessories I like and I have the places where to fit them.

I agree with you as a manufacturer is easy to offer the hole thing, but also you can think to DVR0801 which was offering 4 dashcam options: with or without GPS or internal card. The DVR0801 have nice sales not only because of its size but also because the buyer have the freedom to buy what he needs and using his money in the best way for him.

Think at the joy when buying a car using a configurator.

This is the way I see this case and even I am not a manufacturer I was involved in products with good sales using also my ideas.

enjoy,
Mtz

what I meant was for example if I was to make our GT7D model and offer it as single cam with the option of plugging in the rear cam I could do that but the price for either way would increase due to manufacturing and inventory issues, getting the balance right of how many extra cameras to make and stock is not easy, plus the extra packaging, freight etc, the cost of adding the rear camera is not that high in the scheme of things, if I made it an accessory though it would drive the price up

Yes, I know all the things you say because also I understand the rear camera is not very high price compared to other things involved in the dashcam just to make available the possibility to have the second channel. I was not discussing at all about price but only the buyers freedom of choice which can be good for sales.
I like for example on Aliexpress when buying something to have the possibility to check for some options and look how the price is modified. After some clicks I have the feeling I made the best choice even I paid more than expected.

enjoy,
Mtz

Understand what you mean, in our case the dual cam uses a different solution so offering it as a single cam would carry extra cost for no reason, would be more feasible if they were built on the same platform

I would say it's as important as the insurance amount you want to pay, it depends

Next feature... Dashcam tracking if get stolen ;)

Regards
Duke

i think it is - you can capture agressive driving from drivers behind you - encase of an accident. Tail gaters are the worst!

i think it is - you can capture agressive driving from drivers behind you - encase of an accident. Tail gaters are the worst!
Exactly. That's why I put second Mobius on the rear windshield. Most of the time it helps. When tali gator sees my rear cam he backs away.

Two weeks ago I had an experience that made me realize that rear cameras are just as important as a front cam.

I was driving along near my home just entering a sweeping, partially blind curve when all of a sudden a large pick-up truck comes speeding around the bend directly in my lane heading straight at me, almost causing a head on collision! I hit my horn but I couldn't even swerve away because I would have driven straight off a cliff and landed in a farmer's field twenty feet below. The other driver swerved back into his lane but within a hair of side swiping me. The experience really shook me up 'cause a head-on collision at the speed we were going at this particular location would have been pretty ugly.

The footage from my dash camera was pretty clear (Mobius) and I could see that it was a white Ford truck with a driver and a passenger but forget license plate numbers at 40 miles per hour from a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction. Of course, as the vehicle comes closest to me in the footage I can see that there is a company logo on the sides of the truck but everything is just a blur at this point as the truck is speeding past my driver's side. Then I checked the rear cam footage (GT300W) and as the truck comes past my vehicle (Toyota Tacoma) I could read the name, logo, & city location of the company that owns this vehicle on the tail gate and could even sort of make out a partial license plate number (using a magnifying glass on my monitor) as well as identify what state the truck is registered in. I needed to extract a screen shot from the video, sharpen and enlarge part of it to get this info in detail, and although not perfectly clear there it was. If this guy had side swiped me and kept on driving I would have been able to identity the company that owns the truck.

So, if I thought having a rear camera was a good idea before, now I consider it vital.

frontcam1.jpg
frontcam2.jpg
rearcam.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
A rear camera would only be of use to me if I could see what is going on "live" .. In other words a rear camera that records but also is a rear view camera, of particular use when backing up.
Here's why .
Several years back I pulled into a driveway at night to drop the wife off to visit her friend. I drive a Chevrolet Suburban which is a large vehicle.
When I was in the driveway, unknown and unseen by me a woman pulled in behind me and parked very close to me. She got out and also went up to the house. Her car was a small black car, her lights and everything were turned off. I did not see her arrive at all, she had zipped in so fast.
My engine was still running and my tail lamps were lit, one would think it was obvious I may be planning to leave
So in the night she had a small black car parked so close to my Suburban I could not see it in my mirrors. Not a good situation.
Anyway to make a long story short, I looked in my rear view mirror and 2 side mirrors and saw nothing so I backed up . When I heard the crunch I stopped and got out to look. It was not a pretty sight.
Especially since she had just purchased her car brand new from the dealer 1 week before. .
I had to pay for the repair to her car. (I also offered to pay for psychiatric treatment for her but she refused).
The next day I went and had a device installed which would warn me if anything was in close proximity to me when reversing. I called it my "Anti Idiot" device.
How many times has any one of us tried to reverse in a public parking place (or private as happened to me above) only to see someone walk directly behind you or drive behind you even when you are in motion?
That is why I would like a rear dashcam but one that also will relay what is happening in realtime in a viewer somewhere where I can see it.
These may be a bit expensive but certainly a lot cheaper than paying for some idiots repair job or medical expense.
Glenn

Glenn,

For real time it is called backup camera. Doesn't your Suburban have backup camera? If it doesn't you can buy backup camera online and install it yourself, like I did with my minivan. It cost me $70 dollars. That's the camera I got. I tapped it into backup light wires and transmitter is mounted inside rear lift gate. Transmitter is mounted above rear view mirror.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B001P27ZVE
Or you can buy Mobius
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00DP1WYD2
analog video out cables kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00GPWHQBS
small analog car monitor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B006MPRFJQ
and you will kill two birds with one stone.
I am not sure if Mobius can record and simultaneously output video signal though.

@MozartMan
Great. Thanks heaps for the pointers. .
My suburban although top of the line version when i bought it, is a few years old and is not equipped with anything more than "On Track" which I don't use.
Right now another requirement for a dashcam for me is to have a heat ray to melt all this snow we just got whacked with. :)
I'm only a couple of hours drive East of you
Glenn

@grholme
I also just recently installed a back up camera. Amazon had a wireless one with a GPS sized color monitor on sale for Black Friday. It is the same brand MozartMan linked to (Peak) except with a bigger screen. It gets a little fuzzy from time to time because the wireless transmitter is underneath the vehicle, but it still works pretty well.

It does not record the footage and only comes on when you are in reverse, but if you drive a truck, van, or suv I would recommend one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back