How should the perfect dash cam designed?

niko said:
Court will not accept gps, g-sensor, speed, etc readings from devices that are not certified by that country institutions. So those extras are more for you own self confidence to know you were right about speed / gps etc, but not for court.
Either way, the Police took it as support of my position & cautioned the other driver at the scene.
My insurance company used it to support the issue over liability as well, so it served my needs.

I guess its the same here:
it is sure not valid for court but may be for insurance!

Regards

sofaspud said:
niko said:
Court will not accept gps, g-sensor, speed, etc readings from devices that are not certified by that country institutions. So those extras are more for you own self confidence to know you were right about speed / gps etc, but not for court.
Either way, the Police took it as support of my position & cautioned the other driver at the scene.
My insurance company used it to support the issue over liability as well, so it served my needs.

I am glad it worked out well for you and other guy did not go to court. If he would go and have a good lawyer then it might be harder to win some cases ( not familiar with yours ).

FSC830 said:

Regards

if offender will go to court then court has a power to cancel evidences from non-licensed devices. Court has more power over all below standing institutions like insurance companies. Then collection of evidences by insurance company should start from ground zero.

niko said:
FSC830 said:

Regards

if offender will go to court then court has a power to cancel evidences from non-licensed devices. Court has more power over all below standing institutions like insurance companies. Then collection of evidences by insurance company should start from ground zero.
We are in danger of highjacking this thread, so rather than argue a legal position all I was trying to say is for me the GPS adds to the video.
I would like to see this available as an optional extra to widen appeal, but integrated into the design somehow to avoid having another bit to find a suitable location for.

sofaspud said:
niko said:
FSC830 said:

Regards

We are in danger of highjacking this thread, so rather than argue a legal position all I was trying to say is for me the GPS adds to the video.
I would like to see this available as an optional extra to widen appeal, but integrated into the design somehow to avoid having another bit to find a suitable location for.

I agree with you about highjacking. Thank you for stopping.

Hijacking thread aside, has this camera been designed yet? :D

BTW, I mentioned the G-sensor because I've always turned mine off - bit of a pain having a card full of locked files (even on the lowest setting) & all being minor potholes/bumps in the road.

Attachments

• image_readtop_2013_390976_1369100081923596.jpg
    image_readtop_2013_390976_1369100081923596.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
niko said:
Something like this:

can be done a lot better than this I'm sure ;)

yes, can be done better, but at the moment from all available with similar design quality dash cams this is the best i found.

niko said:
jokiin said:
niko said:
Something like this:

can be done a lot better than this I'm sure ;)

yes, can be done better, but at the moment from all available with similar design quality dash cams this is the best i found.

if that's the best one at the moment then that's a good thing

I'm seriously glad that's the best at the moment. :? I'm attempting something FAR more interesting for jokiin and possibly niko to take a look at, hopefully I get some constructive criticizm on the design at overal concept so I can make some revisions if and when necessary.

I appologize for my spelling at the moment. I have entered, CREATIVE mode.

very interested in all design ideas, not just functionality stuff, which I'm also interested in of course

if that's the best one at the moment then that's a good thing[/quote]

I taking into consideration form factor: separate main unit with display + 2 separate mini cameras, then there are not much similar solution out there.
Of course some design things and especially specs should be looked into, but idea itself is very interesting. It's what I would like to have: 2 separate mini cameras + separate main control unit that can be hidden out of others peoples site. I think most people who are looking for discrete 1 or 2ch dash cam solution, - they would support this kind of idea / form factor.

niko said:
jokiin said:
if that's the best one at the moment then that's a good thing

I taking into consideration form factor: separate main unit with display + 2 separate mini cameras, then there are not much similar solution out there.
Of course some design things and especially specs should be looked into, but idea itself is very interesting. It's what I would like to have: 2 separate mini cameras + separate main control unit that can be hidden out of others peoples site. I think most people who are looking for discrete 1 or 2ch dash cam solution, - they would support this kind of idea / form factor.

we have a dual remote cam version in the schedule, can't see the measurements on that one but pretty confident our control unit is smaller, will also address a couple of oversights of that design

I don't see why more manufacturers don't do the separate camera/mic from the main unit. The way i see it, the camera is less visible in the window and having the main unit below the dash means it can be as big as you need for heat etc, which may make it better for dual cameras too with all the processing power needed? Generally i don't like/need to look at any display while driving either (it's just a distraction to cause an accident!). Being able to add a small portable HDD to increase recording time would be great for all those large 1080p files too!

senatormark said:
I don't see why more manufacturers don't do the separate camera/mic from the main unit. The way i see it, the camera is less visible in the window and having the main unit below the dash means it can be as big as you need for heat etc, which may make it better for dual cameras too with all the processing power needed? Generally i don't like/need to look at any display while driving either (it's just a distraction to cause an accident!). Being able to add a small portable HDD to increase recording time would be great for all those large 1080p files too!

they're out there already, newer technology is allowing better performing models than was previously possible, in previous platforms there were some quality trade offs to do something like this, by the end of the year I'm sure there will be a number of good dual 1080p options to choose from with a variety of features

jokiin said:
senatormark said:

they're out there already, newer technology is allowing better performing models than was previously possible, in previous platforms there were some quality trade offs to do something like this, by the end of the year I'm sure there will be a number of good dual 1080p options to choose from with a variety of features

I would like to have it with both cameras 1080p, better would be 4ch all 1080p with latest cmos and cpu, or even front and back 1080p and side ones 720p.
For me personally would suit Itronics 2ch idea, i have car multimedia system that i can connect to and operate it, but for many others who do not have this option ( truck, bus drivers etc or cars with factory built headunits which does not support AUX ) for them having main unit with display is essential instead of buying separate display.

niko said:
jokiin said:

I would like to have it with both cameras 1080p, better would be 4ch all 1080p with latest cmos and cpu, or even front and back 1080p and side ones 720p.
For me personally would suit Itronics 2ch idea, i have car multimedia system that i can connect to and operate it, but for many others who do not have this option ( truck, bus drivers etc or cars with factory built headunits which does not support AUX ) for them having main unit with display is essential instead of buying separate display.

Dual 1080p is easy, 4 channels though...

Current 4 channel units as you're likely aware are limited in their performance, the greatest issue at this time though is they're quite install intensive so it's a very limited sector of the market right now, perhaps as camera systems become a bit more mainstream and the technology progresses things might change but I'd think it's hard to achieve (cost effectively) in the short term at least, no doubt someone out there is probably working on it, the Koreans maybe???

Also it's not just the cameras and install to think about it's the playback software to be able to make it an easy to mange experience for the end user to make sense of it all

Prior to 4 channel becoming mainstream we might see some front and back super wide cameras, I've seen some stuff based on the A7 platform that stitched 2 cameras together for a super wide playback and real HD quality, not like that cheap Chinese twin camera model that was out recently, this one actually worked, don't know if it will go there but you never know

I'm not sure if we'll see 4 channel units first or maybe some increase in the telematics collected and integrated into the video, there's a lot of data available from the OBDII port in modern vehicles and some security smarts that could possibly be incorporated, something we're looking into, anyway maybe getting a bit ahead of the discussion at this point in time

jokiin said:
niko said:
jokiin said:

Dual 1080p is easy, 4 channels though...

Current 4 channel units as you're likely aware are limited in their performance, the greatest issue at this time though is they're quite install intensive so it's a very limited sector of the market right now, perhaps as camera systems become a bit more mainstream and the technology progresses things might change but I'd think it's hard to achieve (cost effectively) in the short term at least, no doubt someone out there is probably working on it, the Koreans maybe???

Also it's not just the cameras and install to think about it's the playback software to be able to make it an easy to mange experience for the end user to make sense of it all

Prior to 4 channel becoming mainstream we might see some front and back super wide cameras, I've seen some stuff based on the A7 platform that stitched 2 cameras together for a super wide playback and real HD quality, not like that cheap Chinese twin camera model that was out recently, this one actually worked, don't know if it will go there but you never know

I'm not sure if we'll see 4 channel units first or maybe some increase in the telematics collected and integrated into the video, there's a lot of data available from the OBDII port in modern vehicles and some security smarts that could possibly be incorporated, something we're looking into, anyway maybe getting a bit ahead of the discussion at this point in time

I agree with you about challenges in 4ch full hd dash cam systems.
My bench mark is still iCaro B4 i bought it 2y ago and still has it ( paid 1050usd plus customs ). They have the best ever solution of camera install and firmware interface options. The only drawback is by today standard D1 resolution and dont know why they added useless IR, other than that i am happy with it. Back then it was high end in 4ch dvr. I will keep it as for security monitoring option for car stand-by in parking mode where D1 is enough for that. If on that base they would be able to implement 2ch 1080p and side 720p then it would satisfy my needs. I think in near future there will be such systems but for what price, - sky high ! And as you mentioned there is a narrow market for dvr systems that cost 1.5-2K and more. Its much cheaper to buy all 4 separate cameras: 2 proper 1080p front and rear cameras each cost around 150 plus 2 side cams 720p each 100 usd like Livue. Total set will cost many times less than dedicated high end 4ch dvr.

Back