How to remove dashcam mount from windshield ( 3M VHB adhesive tape )

I think sometimes you can get the string between the adhesive and glass, rather than the adhesive and mount. (not always) When it works out, there will be no residue. If you're not so lucky, as you showed it rolls up in a ball quite easily.

So in summary:
-Authentic 3M VHB tape is nice & easy to take off when you need to compared to the strength it provides. (no risk to surfaces)
-The "fake" cheap rolls of double sided adhesives out there (some come with lower priced dashcam products) have real glue in it and is a nightmare to remove.

What will make all the difference there is to grab a hair drier and heat it up.

hair drier helps with the cheap non-3M "glue" types of adhesive tape for sure, but is probably over kill for true 3M VHB.

What will make all the difference there is to grab a hair drier and heat it up.

My personal quick solution is THIS ONE because I know technique. Has attached / detached 100-s of adhesive-taped dashcams.
Of course everyone can decide what is best for him, but the proper technique is described in this thread video tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal quick solution is THIS ONE because I know technique. Has attached / detached 100-s of adhesive-taped dashcams.
Of course everyone can decide what is best for him, but the proper technique is described in this thread video tutorial.

The plastic spatula wedge tool is nice, because the string can hurt your finger(s) a bit if you wrap it around too tight as you pull.

I tried string/floss method and it's a PITA.
I'll try the spatula next time.

I don't bother with the string. I just use a plastic panel tool. Slide underneath and wiggle left and right. Up and down and it starts popping off.

But personally, I'm not a fan on this 3M tape. It's not black, at least not true black. It's more of a brownish/grayish shade. So when it's on the windshield, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's my complaint about it.

I don't bother with the string. I just use a plastic panel tool. Slide underneath and wiggle left and right. Up and down and it starts popping off.

But personally, I'm not a fan on this 3M tape. It's not black, at least not true black. It's more of a brownish/grayish shade. So when it's on the windshield, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's my complaint about it.

The first batch was gray, the new batch we're sending out is true black now. I'm happy to send you some of the new stuff. I'll message you to confirm address. (check your inbox)

Old on the left, New on the right
9CuEO0Fl.jpg

I used a plastic flat end trim tool, and it worked perfectly. Nice tip! Thanks @niko

When I first tried to remove adhesive mount, I used plastic knife but it broke. :D

Do not fear the glue :D

3M VHB is held in place via surface tension. There is no "glue" like the fake stuff uses. (Fake stuff is the true nightmare one to remove)

3M VHB is held in place via surface tension. There is no "glue" like the fake stuff uses. (Fake stuff is the true nightmare one to remove)

Pier28, you've mentioned this from time to time but that's not quite accurate. I hope you don't mind the correction.

3M VHB tape uses adhesion to hold to things (adhere), whereas surface tension is an example of cohesion.

Of course, that's why adhesive tape is called adhesive tape. The materials scientists and chemists at 3M have created some amazing adhesives that outperform anybody else's adhesives but they are still adhesives and the cheap fake 3M VHB tapes are adhesives too. It's just that they are crap.

Adhesion is the tendency of dissimilar particles or surfaces to cling to one another whereas cohesion refers to the tendency of similar or identical particles/surfaces to cling to one another.

So, a Gecko uses adhesion to climb up a glass window.

Gecko.jpg

A water bug uses surface tension to walk on water because the water molecules have strong cohesion.

Waterbug.jpg

The authentic 3M VHB adhesive tape is definitely the perfect chemical balance. Strong long term bond but not impossible to remove.

Back