How to stick a suction cup mount

JMcGarva

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, I have a Papago camera with the suction cup mount. It has a lever you pull down to get a good seal on the window. I live in a very humd area, and temps running 90+ in the summer. I've had the camera come unstuck twice already. I've tried sticking it dry and also wet. It stays for about a month and then falls. Any advice to get it to stick better?

Thanks

Get a different mount. The Papago mounts don't work well at all.

What other mounts will work with my camera? Thanks

Maybe you don't have to mount it on the window with the suction cup? I guess there are other components for you to choose. The dash cam can also be fixed right on the stage above the air vents. Put it at the corner to avoid it blocking your sight.
I haven't used a dash cam but i hope it might work. :p

A little grease helps. I use silicone grease for heat resistant and not becoming gummy.

A little grease helps. I use silicone grease for heat resistant and not becoming gummy.

HEY NOW!! I usually think of myself as a pretty inventive biped, but that never occurred to me. I had been looking for a mount WITH a silicone suction cup, but no luck. Plenty of silicone mounts for phones and GPS, but none for dash cams. Then I hit this page and a truly inventive hominid quietly educates me on creative thinking. Works like a charm particularly here in Florida where it has a tendency to be a bit humid and warm. Good call and thanks for reminding me to THINK. Silicone grease is usually available at most auto parts stores as bulb grease.

HEY NOW!! I usually think of myself as a pretty inventive biped, but that never occurred to me. I had been looking for a mount WITH a silicone suction cup, but no luck. Plenty of silicone mounts for phones and GPS, but none for dash cams. Then I hit this page and a truly inventive hominid quietly educates me on creative thinking. Works like a charm particularly here in Florida where it has a tendency to be a bit humid and warm. Good call and thanks for reminding me to THINK. Silicone grease is usually available at most auto parts stores as bulb grease.
Welcome to DCT @Lazarus I have a friend in Florida who like @Dimas uses that method, and he has not experienced any problems. Sometimes the simple way is best.

Welcome to DCT @Lazarus I have a friend in Florida who like @Dimas uses that method, and he has not experienced any problems. Sometimes the simple way is best.
Amen to that. And I bear a striking resemblance to simple. The mount never seemed to stick around the entire suction cup. I would clean the area with window cleaner, then wipe it with alcohol, and attach it to the window It would stay for a bit, then begin to release around the edges, and eventually fall off. I even tried slobbering all over the cup, but it still eventually came lose. (Apparently saliva has limited adhesive properties) This method prevents that slow "peeling", and I can see the entire area of the suction cup holding firmly. The thing I like about this is that the grease "stiffens" a bit and really anchors the mount. I wanted to re position it slightly above the rear view mirror button and I had to use a knife to coax it loose. It's only been a day but I have no doubt that this will be as good a semi permanent mount as one could ask for. Highly recommend it and thanks again to Dimas for the idea.

I clean the surface where I stick the cup and the cup first. Make sure that both is spot free, then a put a drop of water in the cup. That will stick the cup much longer before it get lose. Still its not permanent, but last longer.

I won't use any grease, the only thing that gonna happen is when your clean it, it will spread as a thin film inside the windshield. Good luck to get it off.:(

I tried various ways of cleaning the glass before mounting (before using grease), but in the end the thing always came loose. When I removed it, after using the grease, to move it up a bit I did have to clean the window, but a bit of enthusiastic rubbing with a paper towel (or three) then wiping with a soft cloth and the glass was clean as the proverbial whistle. I've never owned a proverbial whistle, or any other kind, but I assume that one would be pretty sparkly.

The suction cup holder i have for my phone that come off the glass in the driver side door, do come loose once in a while, and it seem always on hot days.
But it is pretty rare and it have never happened while driving or slamming the door at the gas station with phone still in mount.
Also it is a pretty old mount ( from my Samsung galaxy 2 phone ) and i have added a universal phone holder to it as new phone are much larger and have USB C charging port.
I will be trying the trick with silicone grease as i have some of that stuff for my RC gear, i just keep forgetting to bring it to my car.
So for the most i just give the suction cup a lick, ever so gently to not get it fired up too fast. :p

The suction cup holder i have for my phone that come off the glass in the driver side door, do come loose once in a while, and it seem always on hot days.
But it is pretty rare and it have never happened while driving or slamming the door at the gas station with phone still in mount.
Also it is a pretty old mount ( from my Samsung galaxy 2 phone ) and i have added a universal phone holder to it as new phone are much larger and have USB C charging port.
I will be trying the trick with silicone grease as i have some of that stuff for my RC gear, i just keep forgetting to bring it to my car.
So for the most i just give the suction cup a lick, ever so gently to not get it fired up too fast. :p
:p

Careful brother, this is a PG rated web site. It seems this stuff is used in a lot of different areas. A friend of mine, who's an avid fisherman, uses it in his reels. He says that it resist heat, doesn't wash out, and sticks to the gears really well. I've used it on car battery terminals for years to help prevent corrosion. And you say you use it with your RC gear? Sounds interesting. Where do you use it? I assume it not to help the electricity slide out of the antenna better. :whistle:

I also noticed some of my older suction cup mounts haven't aged well. The rubber has become a bit hard, or something, and won't stick, period. Less frustrating to just buy a new mount.

What about that spray silicone lubricant/protectant stuff? (Spray can) Not bought any in years, but used to use it on diving equipment. That would be easier to deal with than grease.

I'm familiar with the spray. It's used here in SoFlo as a lubricant for awning and jalacy windows as well as single and double hung windows. It's recommended for that purpose because the silicone is carried by an alcohol fluid that evaporates leaving just the silicone. The idea is not to use anything in the way of a lubricant that accumulates dirt and sand, and Florida's got a bunch of sand. I don't think it will work on the suction cups though. The grease is used because of it's thickness. It seals the joint between the glass and the suction cup so no air can work its way in due to the constant thermal variance. The grease isn't really a problem to deal with. You can get it in those little sqeeze packets that look like sauce bags. You know the kind you put out in the street and watch cars drive over them and they squirt sauce every where? At most auto parts stores they're usually up by the registers and sell for about a buck. You just nip off a corner and gently squeeze out a thin bead onto the suction cup around the middle of the contact area. Then hold it steady and push it onto the window and pull the lever as you normally would. Since this silicone doesn't dry out, whatever is left in the little packet can be saved. I have one of those plastic parts boxes you get at big box hardware stores and keep spare bulbs, fuses and these squeezies in it in the trunk. I use this stuff whenever I have to replace a bulb. It lets the bulb slide in easier and helps prevent corrosion by sealing out moisture, which Florida also has a bunch of. So it was an AH HA when Dimas suggested it. Just an idea. And remember, if you try this and like the results give him a shout out.

Some suction cups can be refurbished by soaking them in near boiling water for a few minutes.

I've always found a bit of spit does the job well enough, and that if it doesn't then its time for a new suction cup. It is always necessary to check and reset these from time to time, and how often you need to do that has a lot of variables involved. Even with my hot summers, less-than-clean windows, and cheap mounts I get at least 10-14 days with my method, and that coincides with my routine card checks so it's really not a bother to check everything there while I'm at it :cool:

How you apply the mount seems to matter a lot. Make sure the locking lever is released, press moderately hard in the center where the cup stem is, then without releasing the pressure flip the lock lever fully down. Have the mount aligned as you do this, any twisting or turning of the suction cup part of the mount seems to lessen it's hold ;)

Phil

Avoid leaving the suction cups exposed directly to the sun and all your problems will be over. I have the same suction cup, in the same place, since May 2015 and it has never fell off.

Back