The VIOFO sticky mount & hot days

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was going to put it in the VIOFO forum but there's not really a general VIOFO forum & this question isn't specific to one model so...

Hopefully soon if I get my backside in gear, I should have my VIOFO up front replacing my Mio MiuVue. I had it to the rear on a suction mount but I don't particularly like it on this. For starters that's the GPS gone and it wobbled about a bit anyway even though it was tight.

So I'll be looking at using the 3M adhesive when it goes up front. My concern is just warm days (it potentially falling off) and I'm wondering how you guys get on with this?

With a suction mount like I currently have, it does occasionally drop off on really warm days. I'll get back to the car & the cam will be on the floor but you just stick it back on. I don't really want to have to keep buying self adhesive strips and having a sticky mess everywhere.

Is it not too bad?

Since one countries hot day is different to someone else's - I'm based in the UK so I know some of you guys can have it consistently hotter for longer than us, although it can get hot enough here too.

The information from 3M re all their VHB pads is to :

Clean the glass and allow to dry (alcohol, white spirit, meths, whatever)
Press the dashcam mount firmly and leave it alone for at least 24hrs before mounting the dashcam
The pad will fully cure in 72hrs

During that time and with the temps being what they currently are make sure the windscreen is in the shade.

The information from 3M re all their VHB pads is to :

Clean the glass and allow to dry (alcohol, white spirit, meths, whatever)
Press the dashcam mount firmly and leave it alone for at least 24hrs before mounting the dashcam
The pad will fully cure in 72hrs

During that time and with the temps being what they currently are make sure the windscreen is in the shade.
So basically this bit: https://www.dodax.co.uk/en-gb/elect...gps-mount-for-a119-v3-dash-cam-dpQ03MQB8NNBN/

Push that on to the windscreen & leave it on there for a while (24hrs) before I attach the dashcam to it?

Shade is out of the question to be honest but the weekend is supposed to be terrible so maybe I should plan it then.

Thanks for the advice - though can anyone reading this mention their experience with these cams? Preferably people who have followed Kremmen's advice (or 3Ms even). Have you found that it all stays in place or have you had it dropping off the windscreen?
And if so, what sort of conditions are you in?

Here we'll probably max out at 30c give or take a few degrees. Not sure how that converts to F.
Also, for Londoners - there's places outside of London :p so I stick by maxing out at approx. 30c (for here at least).

information from 3M re all their VHB pads

Have you found that it all stays in place or have you had it dropping off the windscreen?

If the pad is actually made by 3M then I can confirm your dashcam won't drop from the windscreen.
I've used suction mounts ages ago and they do tend to lose their grip after some time.

This doesn't happen with 3M VHB pads if you follow what @Kremmen / 3M advise.

How do I know? I live in Australia and the temps go from zero C to 45c + (they are greater than that but I don't live in those areas ) and my car has been in those conditions while my A129 Duo is in service. The T130 I was testing also stayed connected when a true 3M adhesive pad was used.

Yes, if they are mounted correctly then they are a ****** to get off and won't fall off.

I agree with Kremmen. I am in the UK and have 2 mounts on 2 cars (for 1 camera) and one car is often parked facing South for long periods. No problems at all.
Just make sure you get them in the right place to start with because getting them off is the most difficult part!!

3M VHB pads

I don't know if they're 3M and I don't know what VHB is.

What I do know though is that I bought directly from VIOFO UK last year (yes I know, I said last year & I still haven't properly fitted it yet lol).

I've had a look at the mounts just now and they just have red peel off covers on them. No 3M labeling and nothing mentioning VHB.

Now whether that means I need to remove these sticky pads off the mounts and replace with this 3M VHB you mention or whether they'll be good to go as it is .... over to you guys on that one.

Though while I'm here - I had a tinted sun strip fitted.
Now, it's shallower than your typical aftermarket tinted sun strip as I think a lot of them make you look like a rallyboy (personal opnion, each to their own).
I haven't dry fitted it yet so it may not even be an issue but if what I consider to be the best location ends up being on the sun strip or partially on the strip and partially on the windscreen - would you expect this to be ok?
Or should I avoid the sun strip at all costs even if it ends up being in a not-as-good location and just go 100% on the windscreen?

Make sure that the glass is free of grease first. I recommend using a very small amount of detergent, as used for washing dishes.
Make sure the glass is dry.
Make sure you have the camera aligned correctly by checking the live view, preferably on a large screen - phone/tablet, for cameras with wi-fi.
Mark the position of the camera by sticking some masking tape or similar along the edges of the mount.
Remove the mount from the camera, peel off the backing film and stick it to the glass.
Push firmly to remove as much air from under the pad as possible - check the view from outside.
There will inevitably be some air left, much of that will disappear over the next few days, but a bubble in the centre of the pad is normal for Viofo sticky pads.

It will then not fall off under any UK weather, probably not even under Australian 50 degrees C conditions!

Note that you can only apply it once, it is not adjustable.

I don't know if they're 3M and I don't know what VHB is.
I think VHB is Very High Bond strength, but if you bought it from Viofo there is no need to worry. I think they normally use 3M, but it is not always labeled, so they may sometimes use alternatives. I have never had one fall off, and I suspect the few stories of Viofo pads not sticking are due to them being used on greasy or polished glass. You can't remove all road grease and polish from the glass without some sort of detergent, or at second best alcohol. Adhesive will not stick to grease or polish.

And I can say that one of my front mounts is in the area with the frit pattern and I've had no problems even thogh that area is bumpy to the touch.
P.s. in case you were wondering the camera lens looks out below the frits area.

I have never had one fall off, and I suspect the few stories of Viofo pads not sticking are due to them being used on greasy or polished glass
You know what they say about making an assumption.

They may have been experimenting with another product on the pre-release product. In my case the glass was cleaned correctly and it did fall off.

Or should I avoid the sun strip at all costs even if it ends up being in a not-as-good location and just go 100% on the windscreen

I thought the strip would go on the outside of the windscreen.
If it goes on the inside the it comes down to what sticks the best, the dashcam adhesive or thethe rally strip.
Viofo usually supplies a second tape so you could just try it and see how you go.
If it falls off you always have the spare adhesive.

Though while I'm here - I had a tinted sun strip fitted.
Now, it's shallower than your typical aftermarket tinted sun strip
Make sure the camera is looking through an area covered by the wipers.

The adhesive pad will stick fine to sun strip, but I wouldn't put it over the edge of the strip since if you ever try to remove the mount then the strip may pull off too - keep the adhesive at least 1cm in from the edge of the strip, then it shouldn't pull the strip off.

Yes, VHB is very high bond.

Quote from above 3M page :

• After application, the bond strength will increase as the adhesive flows onto the surface. At room temperature, approximately 50% of the ultimate strength will be achieved after 20 minutes, 90% after 24 hours and 100% after 72 hours. In some cases, bond strength can be increased and ultimate bond strength can be achieved more quickly by exposure of the bond to elevated temperatures (e.g. 150°F [66°C] for 1 hour).

I've never had a dash cam fall off after the first time I stuck it on the windshield. On the other hand, I've had it fall off when I removed it from my car and tried to reuse it in a rental car without installing a new sticky pad. However, I've also had it remain stuck to the windshield in rental cars without a new sticky pad as well.

Now I just have spare sticky pads and an extra base that I take with me along with my dash cam when I travel. This way I don't have to worry about repositioning my dash cam in my personal car when I get back from a trip and I don't have to worry about the dash cam falling off the windshield of my rental car.

I've never had a dash cam fall off after the first time I stuck it on the windshield. On the other hand, I've had it fall off when I removed it from my car and tried to reuse it in a rental car without installing a new sticky pad. However, I've also had it remain stuck to the windshield in rental cars without a new sticky pad as well.

Now I just have spare sticky pads and an extra base that I take with me along with my dash cam when I travel. This way I don't have to worry about repositioning my dash cam in my personal car when I get back from a trip and I don't have to worry about the dash cam falling off the windshield of my rental car.
Good to have some spare anti-static sheets if you are doing that, then it is much much easier to remove the dashcam from the rental car when you return it.
Also, rental cars often have polish on the glass, so an anti-static sheet may stick the the glass better than the sticky pad, and it saves taking glass cleaning supplies!

it saves taking glass cleaning supplies!
I've never really cleaned the glass before sticking the dash cam to the windshield and I haven't had any issues. I do want to try the static sheets because fighting with sticky pads to get them off isn't fun.

I just tried the static cling stickers out in a rental car and I’m definitely sold on them!

It made pulling the mount out so much easier and it stayed on the windshield of the rental car for eight days. However, it only had the full weight of the dash cam on it for about two hours a day. I took the dash cam off the mount when I wasn’t driving.

I might be able to convince my girlfriend to put my spare mount with a static cling sticker in her car that way I can move my dash cam into herwhen she wants me to drive it.

Back