How well does the Mobius hold up in an actual "CRASH"

Flashesbuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone successfully filmed a bad accident with a mobius? Im curious how well this camera holds up in an accident. If the camera gets knocked out of the mount, and bouncing all over in the car, is it still able to save the footage? I seen one case in the other thread here, of a rear end, and the camera saves the footage, but that looked like a fairly minor accident.
Thanks
Dustin

Mobius is designed to survive RC Aircraft crashes, so is probably better able than the average dashcam to endure car crashes & save the vital clip. Some scrapes that Mobius has survived...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26261258
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27542641
(skip to 2mins 47secs)
(skip to 3mins 20secs)
(skip to 3mins 50secs)
(skip to 1min 55secs)
(skip to 2mins 2secs)
(skip to 2mins 40secs)
(skip to 8mins 30secs)
http://youtu.be/y7uvnP2h7ms
http://youtu.be/vTigF0YsXR4
http://youtu.be/zzNzIsX5qcU
http://youtu.be/4lhmY7oiZn4

Mobius should not detach from its cradle in an impact, unless the cradle lugs have been excessively filed by the owner for ease of insertion / removal. If the external power cable becomes detached in an accident, the internal battery or capacitor should save the clip being recorded at the moment of impact.

I don't recall seeing any video clips of a major car accident in which a Mobius was recording.

Last edited:
Has anyone successfully filmed a bad accident with a mobius? Im curious how well this camera holds up in an accident. If the camera gets knocked out of the mount, and bouncing all over in the car, is it still able to save the footage? I seen one case in the other thread here, of a rear end, and the camera saves the footage, but that looked like a fairly minor accident.
Thanks
Dustin
Well,my wife was in a pretty bad accident a week ago which tore the whole front bumper(split in half actually) off,damaged the front left fender,bonnet and 2 headlights.
When I rushed to the scene,first thing I checked was the Mobius wife.:p
Upon checking Mobius,it was still in its place stuck on the screen with the usb power supply cable attached.
I can't tell you how well it would fare in an accident where the vehicle is totalled or a write off.
But I can say that the Mobius is much less likely to be removed from its suction on the screen or from its cradle(untampered) due to the lightweight design and size.
And due to some unknown issue,the Mobius did not record the incident at the time so I don't have any footage to show.

I think @BobDiaz has had a couple of altercations which were recorded on his Mobius cameras?

^^ Do you remove the mobius from the cradle thing often?
I usually just unscrew the whole assembly from the stick on tripod mount. Even on my 2 year old mobius, the locking tabs are still tight.
I don't think I've removed that one from the slide in mount thing more than two times since I've had it.

In my case my Mobius DID detach from its cradle in the impact.

This has been the only confirmed case I fou d an accident recorded by a mobius. But I forgot... These things take a beating in RC

I've filed the front tabs on my cradle as I pull the camera almost daily.
But I'm not too worried about how the mobius will fare in a crash because of its use in RC flying machines.

OK, the real reason I don't worry is because I've dropped the camera a few times over the many months & it's still recording well.

^^ Do you remove the mobius from the cradle thing often?
I usually just unscrew the whole assembly from the stick on tripod mount. Even on my 2 year old mobius, the locking tabs are still tight.
I don't think I've removed that one from the slide in mount thing more than two times since I've had it.

Almost never do I remove it from the cradle NOR did I file down the clips to hold it in place. I now have the plastic zip ties around the Mobius and the cradle in the event it happens again.

Almost never do I remove it from the cradle NOR did I file down the clips to hold it in place. I now have the plastic zip ties around the Mobius and the cradle in the event it happens again.
I have a zip tie around the Mobius that is connected to the zip tie around the rear vision mirror,so that even if the Mobius does drop in an accident or the suction loses grip it's safe.;)

S.O.P on motorcycles or jet-skis: If you don't want it falling off and getting lost you tie it on with a safety string just in case. I use what I call "micro-bungees" to attach some small things: these are just elastic hair-bands meant for ponytails etc. Lots of colors and sizes available. A twist-loop around the lens then back over the cam body and mount and it would take something exceptional to lose the mounting yet you could flick it off with a fingertip when you want to remove the cam :cool:

I'm not worried about this in my work-van. If I hit something hard enough to detach the cam from the mount I would become a pin-cushion and target for about 500Kg of tools and materials riding behind me :eek: In any other vehicle I can see the point

Phil

The mobius case has four lanyard points built into it.

I find usb lanyards with the quick release clip work pretty well for tethering and allow easy removal.

Mine survived when the Mobius factory mount failed while attached to my motorcycle going over railroad tracks about 45-50mph. I'm a little mad about it considering it was the "maiden voyage". The little tabs that slide into the seams along the sides broke off.

Here's the video:

That's strange. I wonder if there is some variation in the source of the part or plastic used?

I'm not sure why it so easily failed. I was going to epoxy it directly into the cradle (or whatever you want to call it) but decided to zip-tie the hell out of it in case I ever have to open it up for any reason. The biggest inconvenience is now I have to remove the whole mount from my motorcycle instead of just sliding the camera out if I have to run into a store for a while or something. I'll post a picture a bit later of my zip-tie job, just for ****s and giggles.

I'd try other things before going the epoxy route. send a pic of the broken tabs on the mount to the supplier, and see if they'll send you a new cradle?
I have 3 mobius. The only time I have taken them out of the cradles is to install a capacitor. I'm not sure it would be easy to break of those tiny tabs unless the square tripod thread adapter thing wasn't seated fully, and flush. Just curious, since I have 3, and not had any problems, but others have.

I'd use zip-tie.

I'm not sure why it so easily failed. I was going to epoxy it directly into the cradle (or whatever you want to call it) but decided to zip-tie the hell out of it in case I ever have to open it up for any reason. The biggest inconvenience is now I have to remove the whole mount from my motorcycle instead of just sliding the camera out if I have to run into a store for a while or something. I'll post a picture a bit later of my zip-tie job, just for ****s and giggles.

I previously posted this photo well over a year ago as part of a similar discussion. It was an idea I had for using a standard binder clip as a simple, inexpensive method to secure a Mobius in its cradle sled in a way that can be quickly and easily removed. It offers the fringe benefit of enhancing the performance of the heat sink and the camera is extremely unlikely to come out of the cradle based on some "vigorous" testing I did. This was basically a "proof of concept" example but for vehicle use it would need to have a hole drilled in the back for USB cable port access and perhaps another to view the rear LED if desired. It would be very easy to make a light pipe to see the LED and perhaps do some other refinements.

(The pads behind the camera are Neoprene blocks that are usually used for installing heavy Thermopane window panels.)

mobiusclip.jpg

Last edited:
Back