i1000 / F70 / X6 720P Dual Lens DVR Dash Camera

Hi ukdriver,

The batteries on all these dash cams are not that impressive. Usually you can find a replacement battery on eBay. You just need to make sure of the size. Many people have replaced the batteries in other cams like the DOD GS600. I haven't seen anyone do the same with this camera.

For watching the MOV files, you need a CODEC that supports it. You can try this solution from Microsoft. The Basic K-Lite Codec Pack would also work. As for movie players, VLC is a very good one to consider.

It took me some time to do research for a dash camera until I encountered this web site. I liked it since it listed all cameras here and I did not need to go any where else. The reviews and comments were also objective. Now, I feel I need to make my contribution with my experience as a payback.

After reviewing all cameras listed here, I decided to try the F70 because of budget, preference, etc. I followed the link on this web site to order it from the "Shenzhen CG Electronics Co., Ltd. " on AliExpress. I will try to give my feedback as objective as possible even though I got very negative experience. I will give you the details so that you, as readers, can decide whether they will be issues for you. When I did research, I felt those details were important rather than posters' emotion. From the details, I had better ideas on whether they were issues for me.

In this posting, I will focus only on the camera itself. I will share my purchase experience in my next posting. I ordered the product and got the package about 25 days later. All the contents described were in the package. But a few things went wrong:

1. The camera, for sure, was not wide angle (neither 120 nor 140 as they described).
2. The video images were not clear that texts within 2 feet were not readable.
3. The remote Control did not work.

The front camera seemed to be HD since I had to use the type of viewer to playback on my desktop. The back one was not. The images from the front one were better than those from the back one. But the front's were not so great. I tested by poiting it to the packaging box two feet away. The texts (in capital letters not fine prints) were not readable without guessing. So, it had good images but not great enough for you to read the texts within 2 feet.

On the road, if you hope it can catch other cars' license plate numbers involved, you might need to consider some other cameras. The others' license plate was not readable unless it is within about 10 feet. It prett much means that it could only catch them if the car stopped right in front of you at traffic lights. I also tested under different weather conditions and sunlights. Basically it cannot be in place of your eyes. Most of the time, when I could easily read others' license plates, I could not read them when I play the video back. So, the only time for catching license plate numbers is when it is stopped in front of you.

When stopping at cross streets, the street names on those hanging under the traffic light post arms were not readable in the playback video. On freeways, those on the signs along the freeway, unless it was at the moment the car was passing by them, could not be read in the playback. It meant less than 1 sec. of images which might be readable.

Another thing about the camera was it was not wide angle as claimed for sure. I measured it to be absolutely less than 90 degree. It is probably about 80 degree even though the seller claimed it to be 140 degree.

Another way to tell is that if it were trully wide angle the video would show some curved images at the edges. This camera did not show the pattern at all. I bought a Logitech security camera around the same time. This is a trustworth company who would not lie. That camera claimed to be 130 degree wide angle. I put them together. It was SO obvious the angle difference. The images on that camera did show curved image pattern at the edges. Manufacturers can change their words but cannot change how lights travel through lens.

So, dont expect this camer can help you catch involved cars' licens plate numbers but it can catch the color and the profile of them. It would not show details but it could catch general scenes. It would not catch anything in parallel with your car. It could catch something before your front bumper.

Hi newcam,

Thanks for the detailed review. The viewing angle is exaggerated on most dash cams, so I'm not surprised about that. The front video is 720p and the rear is 480p so that is understandable as well. What firmware came with your camera? Are the videos much worse than the other ones for this camera? Can you share some videos?

If the videos are significantly worse than others from this camera you might want to contact the seller and see if they will reimburse some money.

Thanks Boost for sharing. That is too bad. Where did you purchase and for how much? I will warn others not to purchase this camera on the main site.

Hi, is there any open source media player that can use to play the recorded front and rear video concurrently?

Hi,

I just got my SYS i1000 for a few days now(single lens version).
It has a V4 firmware.
It works great but has a little bug :
When looprecording is set to OFF , it still records a movie of 11min 08sec then it stops recording.
I contacted the seller who is contacting his supplier.
So in a few days i know more.
Are there more people with this problem ?

DashCamMan said:
Thanks Boost for sharing. That is too bad. Where did you purchase and for how much? I will warn others not to purchase this camera on the main site.

AliExpress. $75 shipped. Seller is not selling these cameras anymore with the same name after I let him know that this is a poor quality fake camera. Yes please let the people know that DM300 with HDMI is not a safe bet. Thanks.

I was looking at the F70, but while following the link, I saw the seller made a reference to the F70G, which includes the GPS antenna. Here's the link they provided: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-New ... 18637.html

Has anyone tried the F70 with a GPS attachment? Does anyone know if the software is available in english? I haven't tried contacting the seller yet.

Thanks.

Aaron

EDIT: BTW, It looks like the GPS plugs into the same port as the rear camera, so you have to choose between GPS or rear camera recording. I don't like that. I'd rather have the rear camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi blue_q,

This camera is probably similar internally to the camera in this thread. I would really doubt you have to choose GPS or rear camera. Might want to check with the seller on that.

I sent them a message asking about GPS & rear camera at the same time and if they had a picture with both plugged in. I'll post here however they respond.

The seller replied that the rear camera plugs into the tv out port and the GPS will use a different port. Does that sound right? I'm suspicious, but I'll probably still order it anyway.

Hi blue_q,

Sounds a bit strange. Typically the rear camera connects to an AV-In port. GPS has a separate port. But I haven't seen this model so perhaps that is how they set it up.

First of all I would like to thank all of you for contributing with so much great information about dash cams! :)

Has anyone been able to disable the welcome/good bye sound?

Thanks,
Jamie

Just another quick update about this cam.

From my last post you will recall the battery in it was useless and would discharge in a very short time, especially with the rear camera plugged in. The rear camera does appear to need a lot of power for some reason and I have seen complaints elsewhere that the battery discharges faster than it can charge. Anyway I found a new battery, higher capacity of 1000mAH to see it that worked. It was slightly larger in size and only just fitted into the casing but that so far seems to have done the trick. I had the camera running nearly all day today and the battery is still pretty much fully charged.

I also had problems playing the MOV files on windows movie maker and media player. This was because it didn't understand the H264 codec. I searched online about this issue and downloaded a fix and it plays fine now. Thanks to DashCamMan for the hints here.

Jamie said:
First of all I would like to thank all of you for contributing with so much great information about dash cams! :)

Has anyone been able to disable the welcome/good bye sound?

Thanks,
Jamie
It isn't possible to disable this sound. I sorted it by snipping the wires to the speaker while I had the camera apart. The sounds were VERY annoying!

Got a link to your battery? I think I will be replacing mine too.

I was thinking of snipping the wires, but since nobody else had mentioned the sound I thought it was possible to disable it.. oh well :lol:

Jamie said:
Some ebay sellers have battery dimensions on picture and description.

enjoy,
Mtz

Jamie said:

I was thinking of snipping the wires, but since nobody else had mentioned the sound I thought it was possible to disable it.. oh well :lol:

This is the battery I ordered:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00AGXIP44
It says it's currently unavailable and is also from a UK supplier. I'm sure you can find an equivalent somewhere. All the specifications (voltage, capacity and dimensions are shown in the Amazon link). I just cut off the connector and soldered it directly to the PCB. Beware it is a very snug fit and you'll need to remove the existing sticky padding to put the cam back together again.

If this is a common problem it appears to be a pretty major design flaw! With the original battery the charge indicator never showed greater than half full charge even after being fully charged and the charge indicator LED went out. With the new battery it shows fully charged and stays there.

From the item description the dimensions are:
50 x 35 x 5 mm

Which value do you think created problems for you? Which value do you think can be bigger? Judging on your information the users can find the perfect sized battery. Even not 1000mAh but a little smaller capacity and of course, size.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back