I'm Baffled! Can someone help!

Sid786

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Newbie here!

I wonder if someone can help me pleaseeee...I fitted the dr650 2ch into my BMW e70 X5. All worked well for a week and now the rear camera stops working and so does the power magic pro.
If I pull out the power cable and reconnect it from the front camera, the rear camera lights up and starts recording...for a few hours but sometimes only for a few minutes.
The power magic pro shuts down and doesn't come back on unless I switch it off and back on again. I've wired 12v permanent direct to the battery, the ACC using the cigarette lighter fuse and used a ground in the boot.
I'm just baffled as to what it could be. The coax cable seems fine. (I don't think this is the problem as when I pull the power cable out of the front cam n re insert it the rear cam lights up for a while.)

I've also had a brand new BMW battery so I don't think it's that. I've set the power magic pro at 11.8v and 12v to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't.

Has anyone else had the same or a similar problem, or a fix!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you wired direct to the battery, or gone via your fuse box? What size fuses are you using and have you checked them? It seems like a power supply problem to your PMP.

It's like the. PMP switches off completely but doesn't come back on with ignition. I have to switch it off n back on again from the PMP itself and then the light comes on.
I've wired directly to the battery and then used add-a-fuse circuit into the cigarette lighter fuse. I've put the original cigarette lighter fuse (20amp) in the piggy back of the add a fuse circuit leaving the second fuse slot blank. The cigarette lighter works. The ground wire I've used a metal bolt in the boot.
Do I need to put two fuses into the piggy back add a fuse. I've put the one I took out which was for cigarette lighter into it and have a second empty slot?

Would this affect the rear camera? The rear camera works once I turn off the power and reconnect but won't stay on for long. Sometimes during the journey the rear cam stops working and the light goes off but the front camera still records?!

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
wiring addafuse.jpg Read these threads as he is as confused as you
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/can-you-use-fuse-taps-on-empty-slot-fuse.30254/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/which-side-of-a-fuse-is-hot-vs-cold.30136/page-2#post-355883
You need to mount the addafuse so the power comes in on the side opposite the wire Put the original fuse in the bottom and a 3 or 5 amp in the top one otherwise something wont work
If you have a wire to the battery where does the other end going to.

If you use an addafuse that would not be necessary You should meter the fuses to find on that is ALWAYS on and put the correct wire to that Then find one that is an acc fuse and put a 2nd addafuse in that Put the original fuse in the bottom slot and a 3 or 5 in the top slot Where in the car is the PMP if you have an earth in the boot.
Be aware in BMW VW and others ACC fuses can stay live for up to 30 mins so you need to turn car off leave it and come back in an hour Find your permantly on fuse then turn the ign on and find one that has become live. mark it turn car off wait for 35 mins and see if it has died.addafuse correct.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Hillbilly,

Many thanks for your help. Will try this today.
The battery wire is directly to the terminal, with the other end gong into the PMP connection. The PMP is in the rear quarter panel behind the pull-flap.

Regards

UPDATE: sorted out the fuses and upgraded to the latest firmware (this has to be done in sequence...info from this site) Rear camera now intermittent. It will work for a few seconds and then the light goes off and comes back on for a few seconds, appears as though it constantly rebooting! spoke to someone who it turns out had similar issues and it turned out to be the SD cardm(I have 64gb SanDisk XC class 10) so I have ordered a genuine BlackVue 64gb SD from Blackvue.com. Hopefully this will resolve the issue!

Back