Innovv C3 with Remote Lens. With exchangable Wide and Narrow FOV lens

I saw one of these on line last night and thought maybe it might make a decent cheap weather resistant case for the recording unit.
Clear plastic mailing tube with vinyl end caps

I stopped at a hardware store on the way back from work today and found them 1.25 inch in diameter and 12 inches long for a whopping $1.45
The caps fit night and snug and are flexible and the tube is flexible too. It flexes into an oval shape with the recoding unit in it and I poked a couple of holes in the caps for the cords and did some length trimming with scissors.

It's a quick first try but it can be made shorter still and I think that with some liquid electrical tape or some silicone to seal the cable holes even better it will protect the unit as long as I don't end up underwater for an extended period of time:D

Last edited:
A little clever mod of some button extensions of some kind might allow you to control the camera without opening the "tube". The concern here might be heat retention, I think. Love what you've come up with here though, especially for the price and effort involved.

Last edited:
You can push the buttons through the tube, it is flexible and thin enough to let heat transfer I believe.
I've left one of the C3's that I have plugged in and running for 5 days, 24 hours a day wrapped up in a ziplock freezer bag inside of a bubblewrap mailer and then wrapped in a small blanket with no file faults and no melting of anything. It was warm when I took it out but not hot enough to cause me any concern.

Keep updated,
The pre-ordered products have been ship on last Sunday, now it is ready for regular delivery.

From idea in mind to the product in reality, by development in months, really thank for the support from @niko, @willy510, and the people on the forums.

Have been learning from challenges, and get experienced, discussing with people since the idea in mind and listen to them, you always can get the products people right need.

Do not ask for testing after product is ready, it will be late, and it is limited for improvement.

You can push the buttons through the tube, it is flexible and thin enough to let heat transfer I believe.
I've left one of the C3's that I have plugged in and running for 5 days, 24 hours a day wrapped up in a ziplock freezer bag inside of a bubblewrap mailer and then wrapped in a small blanket with no file faults and no melting of anything. It was warm when I took it out but not hot enough to cause me any concern.

That's great news. You may have to start marketing C3 tubes! :)

70 :eek:

I guess you guys have to change name from hells angels to Innovvs angels :D

The CMOS sensor generates a lot of the heat in a camera so having it away from the processor helps a lot

This is interesting information. I'll bet like many I've been more focused on the DSP being the primary heat culprit. In fact, with the exception of some metallic tape on the Mobius lens module most of the heat sink solutions I've seen have been on the DSP.

:D yeah those HA guys are a pretty sad bunch, feeding of the sick and weak and then dare to talk about honor.

What i dont get is that i have seen some CMOS chips beeing backlit, that kinda mess with my brain.

This is interesting information. I'll bet like many I've been more focused on the DSP being the primary heat culprit. In fact, with the exception of some metallic tape on the Mobius lens module most of the heat sink solutions I've seen have been on the DSP.
When the CMOS gets hot that's what causes all the white sparkles in the video I think (hot pixels) - I need to run some more torture tests on that Z7 as noticed the video appears to get darker the longer it's been running although it could have been the camera twist upside down due to cable twist!

I do really like the look of these though :)

more than a few cameras have more heat generated from the CMOS than they do the processor

more than a few cameras have more heat generated from the CMOS than they do the processor

Interesting. I was aware the CMOS puts out heat but not aware they put out quite so much. Makes me wonder why there is not more attention given to dissipation.

Is it possible to connect microphone and charge the cam at the same time?

So it would need a custom fork cable that would power cam and still let mic signal pass.

Rock: can you please share mic cable pinout? Thanks

I'll be posting up a "how to" diy with the pinout to do the external mic with power modification sometime next week when I'm back at home from vacation

Put one of the C3's in the rental car while I'm up in British Columbia
Screenshot_2014-09-28-20-00-19_zpsd9qbhqgb.png

Screen grab from my phone, don't have my laptop with me to get a high resolution frame grab

Back