Intermittent issue

Tony lovelock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422gw/Nextbase 212G & möbius C3 wide angle lens
Of recent I’ve noticed a intermittent fault with my 412gw which I’ve had since November 2016 & has worked flawlessly since. Recently I’ve noticed that when I’ve started the ignition for my Works Van sometimes the 412gw doesn’t always go into record mode, & the screen is just (picture is on screen) but not actually recording, so I have to pull over & take it out of the magnetic mount & re instate the 412gw back onto the mount for it to start recording again... other days it Works Absolutely fine?! It’s not hard wired it’s always been plugged into the 12v lighter with the original supplied NB charging lead. Any ideas?!

Is the lighter socket a permanent live, or a switched live off the ignition switch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on your car, but, more often it goes off with the ignition.

Is the lighter socket a permanent live, or a switched live off the ignition switch ?
His cam is switching on but not recording. so that's unlikely to be the cause.

Thanks for the replies so far... soon as the ignition is switched off the dash cam turns off. It’s a Citroen relay work van 2014.

Thanks

Sounds like a dead battery to me.

I'm no electronics expert but I wonder if a battery can be replaced with a capacitor.

cue M8 .......

Interesting !

My head hurts after reading that :oops: :)

Me too... lol. Well let’s not hope it’s gets as far as dead battery on my 412gw as it’s been very reliable & I don’t really want to purchase another dashcam if I can help... stick to what you know... that’s what I say!

It seems that rechargeable batteries, depending on type, have a recharge life of 300 to 500 times. If you use your dashcam every working day then the battery is hitting that limit within about a year with 2 charges per day.

Yes good point made, well if the problem does persist then I may have to bite the Bullet & invest into a new 412gw or 512gw

Isn’t soldering involved though?

Yes, that is the £10 option if we send a battery to you.

You can post into us for £31.20? Cheaper than a 412GW/512GW.

This issue happened yet again this morning whilst on my way to work. Dash cam boots up fine (screen saver comes on after 30 seconds) recorded for about 10 minutes or so then all of a sudden the screen comes on and stops recording so I have to pull over to turn dash cam off and then re mount into the mount... regularly format the sd card aswell as advised by nextbase themselves. Only had this issue since upgrading firmware which allowed me to upgrade from a 64gb sd card upto the maximum 128gb

I’m using this micro sd card : Samsung evo 128gb (sdxc) UHS-I + U3 (100MB/s. It was purchased from my memory, it’s been working flawlessly tbh. How do I check for potential errors? Thanks

This could be another fake news, but I was reading somewhere that Roadhawk recommend that you should periodically perform a sdcard full format, not just the quick format that only clears the directory.

Don't kill the postman :)

I still believe that a suspect battery will not help and the make/break of some car circuits during starter motor power will interrupt the bootup sequence.

@NextBase Tiffany, is the battery replacement procedure the same in the 402 as the 412 ? My old 402 has been boxed for ages now, I'm not going to use it again so I want to be nosey inside to satisfy my curiosity.

Back