Is anybody running a permanent hot spot in there car ?

Any tips while using/purchasing this hotspot? This seems to be the most affordable at this point. I'm on T-Mobile for my cellular plan, but the cheapest plan is $18/month for 2gbs. I need less than a gig since I'm only interested in notifications.
I would look at a MVNO data plan such as Red Pocket.

Nevermind. I see that any gsm compatible mobile hotspot device or at&t locked device will work with red pocket. I'll give them a try and purchase a cheap unlocked lte wireless router off of eBay.

Went with T-Mobile. Got their 2gig plan for $10/month.
That's probably more convenient since it's rolled into your bill.

I know this is an old thread but I've just seen this 24 GB Data SIM on Amazon and comes Pre-loaded with 24GB Data to be used within 2 years and only costs £42.88!

Going to put it into the Huawei E5885 CAT6/ 4G+ Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot which has a HUGE 6400mAh Battery & also acts as a Power Bank

Apparently, average Battery Standby Life is 1600 Hours & Average Battery Life is 25 hours

For notifications only and the odd file view I'm hoping the Data SIM will last me the whole 2 years!

Verizon has a little tiny one for $5/mo addition to an existing plan. It plugs into your OBDII port. Definitely the cheapest option for permanent installed. Unknown if the power is available 24/7. I did a permanent install in mine. You can see some parts of it from a post linked off my profile page. I think I will go to a Cradlepoint router though as they have better reliability than the USB modem I am using at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newer cars will not allow the use of the OBDII Port to power devices with the car off. The alarm will go off. There was an issue with cloning keys via the port and a blind spot on the car's interior motion sensor. This was on 1 series BMW's most prominently, thieves could break the front window and reach in to the OBDII port, plug in a computer and clone the key. Then drive off. So now the newer BMW's have the protection on the port. So I could not use my SAAVY to connect my Valetine One. Really miss the auto mute feature of the SAAVY. Dam it.

I'd like to see the BlackVue folks add some more connectivity options on the software, so one can use WIFI that requires an account name and password, other than the Router Name and Router Password. That would all me to connect to my work place WiFi when parked. :)

Mike

posted this in the 750S forum, but is relevant to this post as well:
I use a blackvue dr750s-2ch thats powered from a blackvue b-124 ultra battery. I have a hotspot (netgear unite 4g) with a tmobile sim thats powered from a blackvue b-112. I also dont trust li-ion batteries in hot weather so I took out the built in battery and paid the extra money to get a LiFePO4 battery (b-112) for it. I have 10gb of usable hotspot data but I rarely go over 2gb since its basically only using data when I live view or download footage. For some reason, the auto-upload feature of blackvues doesnt work consistently.

The 750S-2ch lasts about 24 hours on the b124 and the hotspot lasts about 30 hours on the b112

I use a Verizon 7730L hotspot. After a 10 hour work day include the commute to and from home (30 minutes total), I have about 25% charge left with the included battery. I just take in the house and charge it daily like I would my phone. IMO the increased piece of mind is worth it for me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 8
Back