Is it a bad idea to place a waterproof camera outside the car because of dirt?

country_hick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some dash cams either for the front cam, the back cam, or both and most back up cameras claim to be waterproof.

We all know there is more than one kind of waterproof. IP67 is inadequate for cars. IP68 may or may not be suitable for car use (I am not 100% sure despite doing research), IP69 is perfect as it can handle a car washes pressures.

Having lived on a dirt road and seen sanded roads in winter I know dirt finds its way onto almost every part on the outside of a car.
I think everyone up north has seen cars so covered with dirt the license plates are almost unreadable.
Many new cars are coming with multiple outside cameras. Is cleaning them a new maintenance requirement and if so how do you clean a precision lens of all kinds of crap on its surface that could be 1/8" thick or perhaps worse?

Should these cameras be put inside a protective box to protect them from road dirt and grime? If so what kind of box should be sued and where do you find it? Should a glass window be put in front of the camera to protect the lens? Maybe I overthink things but I can picture one dirty lens getting cleaned wrong and never having a good picture again as the lens is badly scratched.

Back