Wacky Idea of the day

Xamu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3, Viofo T130, Viofo T130
I just bought a pair of T130 3-channel cameras to effectively create a 6-channel system because 1) I saw kamkar's N5 4-channel post and 2) why not? :cool: I end up with a better resolution rear facing camera and I can use the "rear" camera(s) to face left and right. That alone is a pretty wacky idea but then I got stuck for a minute. Where am I gonna be able to mount these side facing "rear" cameras that will actually be useful?

So here's the wacky idea I had -- why not put them on the headrest posts? It looks like a pretty darn good solution IF you put the right facing camera on the left seat headrest post and the left facing camera on the right seat headrest post. I'm gonna have to fabricate a pair of brackets before it's a real thing but here are a couple of concept photos. [In the first photo, the camera was just resting in place, not secured at all. In the second photo I was holding the "rear" camera in place to get a screengrab.]
20230805_154457-sm.jpg
2023_0805_154158_R-sm.jpg

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I do know that the rear camera does not have IR lighting. That's fine with me. I don't want these cameras to have IR lighting. I want them for the purpose of seeing what's happening outside the car -- I'm quite a bit less with what's happening inside the car.

If someone has already mentioned putting cameras on headrests, forgive me, I'm not trying to steal credit. :) I'm just pleased that I I managed to find something that may be a good idea.

Attachments

• 20230805_154457-sm.jpg
    20230805_154457-sm.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 1
Yes, DCT members have been experimenting with and installing dash cams on head rests for years. The problem is always that there tends to be a lot of vibration in head rests so the challenge is to stabilize the rests so they are as solid a mounting platform as possible and that is often not as easy as it may seem. So, try it and see what happens but know that it may not work out so well in the end. Of course, another issue is aesthetics. It's not easy to build a solid bracket that doesn't look hideous, especially in a car with a nice looking interior like yours.

BTW, it looks like you drive a Sedona. You have both a small fixed pane of glass next to the A pillar and a large fixed pane of glass behind the C pillar. These are perfect for mounting side cameras. You may have to aim your side cameras a bit towards the rear or the front but I would recommend exploring this option over the headrest option.

If you haven't seen it yet there is an older thread here on the forum all about side facing cameras where you'll find interesting examples, discussion and info.

Last edited:
I once had my R side camera mounted on the back side of the B pillar filming out the back door glass.

Attachments

• Passenger A Pillar Zoom .png
    Passenger A Pillar Zoom .png
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Driver A Pillar .png
    Driver A Pillar .png
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Driver A Pillar Zoom .png
    Driver A Pillar Zoom .png
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 10 .jpg
    10 .jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4 .png
    4 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 5 .png
    5 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 9 .jpg
    9 .jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Passenger A Pillar .png
    Passenger A Pillar .png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Yes, DCT members have been experimenting with and installing dash cams on head rests for years. The problem is always that there tends to be a lot of vibration in head rests so the challenge is to stabilize the rests so they are as solid a mounting platform as possible and that is often not as easy as it may seem. So, try it and see what happens but know that it may not work out so well in the end. Of course, another issue is aesthetics. It's not easy to build a solid bracket that doesn't look hideous, especially in a car with a nice looking interior like yours.
Ooh, I hadn't considered that there might be a vibration issue. Thanks for the heads up. (y)

BTW, it looks like you drive a Sedona. You have both a small fixed pane of glass next to the A pillar and a large fixed pane of glass behind the C pillar. These are perfect for mounting side cameras. You may have to aim your side cameras a bit towards the rear or the front but I would recommend exploring this option over the headrest option.

If you haven't seen it yet there is an older thread here on the forum all about side facing cameras where you'll find interesting examples, discussion and info.
Many thanks! I had not seen that thread so I appreciate the link. It'll probably take me a bit to get through all of it. :)

As for the glass behind the C pillar, there's a built in pull-up sunshade that I typically keep up on both sides which would block the camera (twice). :( Plus, even if I left them down, I think it wouldn't give me as good an angle. But I will take your suggestion under advisement. (y)

Many thanks! I had not seen that thread so I appreciate the link. It'll probably take me a bit to get through all of it. :)

As for the glass behind the C pillar, there's a built in pull-up sunshade that I typically keep up on both sides which would block the camera (twice). :( Plus, even if I left them down, I think it wouldn't give me as good an angle. But I will take your suggestion under advisement. (y)

Fixed glass windows are the best for mounting side cameras, so maybe there's something you can come up with. Those tiny glass panels in the front of your Sedona look promising (and interesting as you don't see that too much these days)

You know, after posting the link to the side camera thread I just took a look at it for the first time in quite a while and realized that the thread dates back to before multi-channel cameras became available. As far as I know, I was the first member on the forum to begin experimenting with side facing and rear facing cameras starting in 2014. When I would buy a newer camera I would mount the older one on the driver's side fixed glass rear window frame and it worked really well. Then I mounted one facing the rear. Eventually, it became something I just couldn't live without and I ended up with 360º coverage. Now side and rear cameras are common.

Edit: Come to think of it "parking mode" didn't exist either back then. All my parking examples in the side camera thread involved using a power bank to run the cameras when I was away from the vehicle.

Last edited:
I saw this post and I was impressed and inspired by it. I think your side cameras might have a better overall view if facing in instead of out, but that's just a guess.

I am not at all a fan of pointing side or rear camera into the interior of a vehicle. Much better to have them facing out like a traditional dash cam. There are many shortcomings and a lot of missed coverage shooting from inside out, Much prefer coverage like this:

360 degree coverage example

Fixed glass for the win.
Back in the old days i did have my L side camera mounted above the rear door on the headliner ( sheet metal folded over so it could slide over the headliner edge, and then 2 small neodymium magnets on mobius camera )
Also not ideal due to potential curtain airbag deployment, though worry me little CUZ my car i owned since 2012 have had people on the back seat for a toral of 3 hours.

My old setup for side cameras with the K2S system.
Its little cameras was smaller than the old mini wedge style remote cameras ( there is a pic of the 2 beside each other in the thread )

You can also still see one or more of the side cameras in my car in newer videos with cabin camera footage, as i have not removed the broken system CUZ i am lazy.

img_20190709_214021-jpg.47290

Sadly a lot of video lost as i had to purge my old Youtube / google account.

I am not at all a fan of pointing side or rear camera into the interior of a vehicle. Much better to have them facing out like a traditional dash cam. There are many shortcomings and a lot of missed coverage shooting from inside out, Much prefer coverage like this:

360 degree coverage example
Maybe you're right but unlike that truck, I don't have a mid vehicle fixed glass mounting position.

Maybe you're right but unlike that truck, I don't have a mid vehicle fixed glass mounting position.

I was well aware of that when I suggested it.

That is why if you are going to quote me you might also appreciate what I said right before that.

You have both a small fixed pane of glass next to the A pillar and a large fixed pane of glass behind the C pillar. These are perfect for mounting side cameras. You may have to aim your side cameras a bit towards the rear or the front but I would recommend exploring this option over the headrest option.

Back