Is the velcro tape strong enough to hold the mobius on a motorbike?

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
My plan is to mount the Mobius camera on my motorbike. I know there is a very good magnetic mount but this is too big for my small bike.

I want to attach it with the velcro (delivery content) to to area between the wheel and the handlebar (see figure). It will not be hardwired and run with the battery and I will stick it on before every ride and remove afterwards but only at good weather conditions.

The german weather is always between warm and very we. What do you guys think about that, is the velcro strong enough to hold the little Mobius with all the vibration coming from the motorbike and the roads?

Dual lock velcro is safe enough and sure it will keep even much more heavyer objects.
And to be sure dual lock is that one where both sides are hard, not that soft we have in our clothes.
But remember, velcro is only as good as you can glue it on your bike, and the other half to mobius.
Also it would be a good idea to warm velcro after you attach it to bike, normal hair dryer is hot enough.

Last edited:
how much room is there behind the windshield? May be an easy way to mount it there? I'm thinking the bottom of the windshield.

The plastic is usually not high quality, there may be some distortion, but worth trying with the lens almost up against the screen? One bug with good aim is going to mess up whatever video he may get if the camera is out in the open. (And splats on the lens)

will need a regular wipe over but that I think is probably still preferable to the distorted image you'll get behind the screen, have a look at the screen on a sportsbike next time you see one parked and you'll see what a challenge it is

Industrial strength Velcro will probably work for that but I would definitely stay away from consumer grade - neither the adhesive nor the hook/loop portion will be strong enough.

I've had issues with the 3M DualLock tape holding a G1W-H camera on the rear window of my wife's car. It tends to shake loose on bumpy roads. There may be different levels of the DualLock but the stuff I had doesn't impress me all that much for what I was trying to do with it.

how much room is there behind the windshield? May be an easy way to mount it there? I'm thinking the bottom of the windshield.

It's a small bike and there is not enough room for it an alternative would be to mount the mobius on top of the fuel tank but then I have those reflections from the speedometer in the video.

It tends to shake loose on bumpy roads.

I'm just realizing that I don't ever thought on that point :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used both industrial strength Velcro and Dual Lock fasteners and I've found the Dual Lock to be superior to Velcro for dash cam installations. In one dash cam installation I did the hook & loop pad of the Velcro allowed the camera to wobble very slightly on a bumpy road and of course, this caused the video to be less sharp. In comparison, Dual Lock tape for dash cam mounting is always rock solid. Industrial strength Velcro is plenty strong but even the lowest holding power of Dual Lock is stronger. 3M claims that it holds as well as screws, bolts and rivets and it is used in vehicle assembly.

If it were me, I would chose Dual Lock over the Velcro. The key to using it is to make sure you apply the 3M VHB backing tape properly. Some 3M VHB tapes can have problems adhering to certain surfaces. Since the Mobius is coated with a rubberized silicone coating, 3M VHB tape will not adhere to it securely. You need to sand down the finish on the camera or mounting cradle or remove the silicone coating with some acetone (carefully) to insure proper adhesion with the 3M VHB tape backing on the Dual Lock fastener.

dual lock.png

Last edited:
It's never even come close to coming loose. If I want to make an adjustment to the camera position it takes a real effort to remove it.
That's the reason i start using neodym magnets, it's very hard to remove velcro that has been sitting there a year or more.

I also use 3M dual lock for all my DashCam installs.

That's the reason i start using neodym magnets, it's very hard to remove velcro that has been sitting there a year or more.

I never thougt about that, I think this might be the better solution. Because then the camera will not be so shacky.

Since how long are you using magnets on the mobius? I'm just a bit curious about this extreme magnet could damage somethong on the mobius.

How is the magnet fixed on the mobius?

I never thougt about that, I think this might be the better solution. Because then the camera will not be so shacky.

Since how long are you using magnets on the mobius? I'm just a bit curious about this extreme magnet could damage somethong on the mobius.

Maybe you can find some useful ideas / elements from my projects:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...mount-bracket-with-quick-mount-dismount.4138/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ch-power-diy-magnetic-car-mount-bracket.3398/

Last edited by a moderator:

My first mobius have had magnets about a year now, other one 2 months, no problems of any kind.
I clip a mobius size metal sheet and use two sided tape to attach it to mobius, other part of metal sheet goes to windshield also with two sided tape, magnets in between are sitting there freely because they are not going anywhere. I use 3 magnets to mobius, it's good enough and also possible to remove mobius easily sliding it off sideways.
Attached image shows metal sheets on mobius, in that picture other mobius has velcro on it but soon after that i replaced velcro to magnets because it was impossible to remove it without damaging it.
Other mobius is upside down as rear camera, it has blue heatsinks on it, i can't say did it help or not, i feel it's running cooler but i didn't measure temperatures before or after.
http://www.dx.com/p/ave-x3-ram-heatsink-blue-8-pcs-201869
http://www.dx.com/p/10-x-2mm-ndfeb-...-cylinder-diy-puzzle-set-silver-50-pcs-214904

Attachments

• mobius2.jpg
    mobius2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 23
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Mobius 4
9 Mobius 7
A Mobius 4
Back