Velcro won't stick

9a6or

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius C2, Mobius Maxi B2
The sticky side of Velcro does not stick well to the nice matte black finish of the Mobius or its cradle. Is there a trick to attach Velcro strongly without superglue and without sandpapering the finish off?

The Mobius case is layered with a silicone rubber protective coating, and very little adheres well to silicone except silicone, and even that loses some of it's normal adhesion. My cradle seems uncoated so I'm thinking either that you need to clean the spot where you want to stick or perhaps your velcro strip is old/defective/or wasn't designed for that much adhesion. Many people here use the 3M hook-and-loop which comes with different levels of adhesive, that might prove your best option.

Phil

You really do need to sand down the finish a bit with a fine grade of paper or carefully remove the silicone with a small amount of Acetone (nail polish remover). Sandpaper is the easiest method and less likely to cause any damage to the plastic below the silicone finish. If you are going to put Velcro over the sanded area you won't be seeing the spot where you sanded anyway. :)

I have sanded off the silicone by rubbing the mount on a sheet of fine sandpaper. The underlying plastic will be a great surface for the sticky Velcro. The finish is quite nice actually, although it will not be visible when holding the Mobius in place.

sanded.jpg

... and with Velcro in place. The threaded insert can be clicked in if needed. Note that the Velcro avoids the two springy parts which move when sliding the mount on the Mobius, this movement would detach the Velcro after a while.

Velcro.jpg

I have replaced the "hooks" with "loops" on the mount. This makes the mount feel more comfortable in the hand when I take the Mobius off. The hooks side of the Velcro is now stuck to the car out of reach where it is not touched.

Back