Is the YI 4K itself water resistant?

No GoPro does not cover water damage. No company does. They say it is the users responsibility to ensure the case is functioning correctly and to properly seal the case. So they do not cover water damage.
It sucks to see that happen. I just ordered the camera and now I am pretty worried.

Update
GoPro Does offer an extended warranty for an additional $99. dollars. And if you if the camera gets water damage you pay another $79 on top of that to get replaced.
Advertising underwater use and providing a waterproof case it seems, is an promise to buyers that they can actually use the product to stated depth! If you bought one of the Intova cameras with case rated to 197' and it flooded with normal use or because of a defect , Intova Joe( owner) of the Company based in Hawaii , stated several time on the scubaboard forum that they would replace the camera! There's no practical reason why a Chinese manufacturer could not stand behind the product unless it is disreputable!

Advertising underwater use and providing a waterproof case it seems, is an promise to buyers that they can actually use the product to stated depth! If you bought one of the Intova cameras with case rated to 197' and it flooded with normal use or because of a defect , Intova Joe( owner) of the Company based in Hawaii , stated several time on the scubaboard forum that they would replace the camera! There's no practical reason why a Chinese manufacturer could not stand behind the product unless it is disreputable!
I am not disagreeing with you. I would be really mad if this happened to me. I am just saying they are not covered. It has nothing to to with chinese companies either. US companies are the same. Even phone cases life lifeproof etc are not covered if they fail. Since there is no way to prove the user did everything correctly. It does suck though.

Ok guys! I Signed up just to post this after seeing it on the facebook post. Terrible it leaked hopefully you will get a replacement HOWEVER I did just do some research, to compare to the GoPro housing. It seems common the GoPro UW case would also have a gap, remember it's the O RING that makes the watertight seal not the plastic case. It has been said the gap is there to allow for increased pressure which will close the gap on the case.

Now as I said on facebook before looking into this, do make sure the O-RIng is in absolutely PERFECT condition, no cracks, hairs, dust or any deformities of any kind. Also use silicone grease on the o-ring periodically. This is the same maintanence all o-rings require for underwater use even on the most Pro cases.

There may be a general issue here, they may not, but i''m not sure that everyone that sees a small gap in the lid should think ***** my case is faulty* as it is desinged to be there.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Waterproofing-a-gopro-housing/

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/gaps-in-waterproof-case-when-closed-t12853.html

Ok guys! I Signed up just to post this after seeing it on the facebook post. Terrible it leaked hopefully you will get a replacement HOWEVER I did just do some research, to compare to the GoPro housing. It seems common the GoPro UW case would also have a gap, remember it's the O RING that makes the watertight seal not the plastic case. It has been said the gap is there to allow for increased pressure which will close the gap on the case.

Now as I said on facebook before looking into this, do make sure the O-RIng is in absolutely PERFECT condition, no cracks, hairs, dust or any deformities of any kind. Also use silicone grease on the o-ring periodically. This is the same maintanence all o-rings require for underwater use even on the most Pro cases.

There may be a general issue here, they may not, but i''m not sure that everyone that sees a small gap in the lid should think ***** my case is faulty* as it is desinged to be there.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Waterproofing-a-gopro-housing/

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/gaps-in-waterproof-case-when-closed-t12853.html

Thanks for your comment.

While this may seem reassuring, for me it personally isn't. I have gone through the same experience as OP (tried the waterproof case under water with just a piece of paper inside, and it was fine), apart from putting the camera inside the case (and getting it flooded). So now I'm really afraid to put the camera in the case and try it underwater, especially since there is no warranty of any kind.

Let's even say that I take my camera to a lake, river or sea to test it with the waterproof case. It may work the first or second time, but how long will it keep working? Since the one purchased by OP failed pretty soon, I have no expectations now. And I certainly don't want to throw away a $250+ camera like that.

I don't know what to do now. I feel like I threw away the extra $30+ for the case and since that's money I could have put towards my upcoming trip in the USA I feel cheated. What should I do? Suggestions?

Thanks for your comment.

While this may seem reassuring, for me it personally isn't. I have gone through the same experience as OP (tried the waterproof case under water with just a piece of paper inside, and it was fine), apart from putting the camera inside the case (and getting it flooded). So now I'm really afraid to put the camera in the case and try it underwater, especially since there is no warranty of any kind.

Let's even say that I take my camera to a lake, river or sea to test it with the waterproof case. It may work the first or second time, but how long will it keep working? Since the one purchased by OP failed pretty soon, I have no expectations now. And I certainly don't want to throw away a $250+ camera like that.

I don't know what to do now. I feel like I threw away the extra $30+ for the case and since that's money I could have put towards my upcoming trip in the USA I feel cheated. What should I do? Suggestions?

I can totally understand this, I would feel the same. I mean you can assume all underwater cases by anyone have the potential to flood, I'm sure many gopro cases have. However with it being so new you don't know if that failure rate is 0.5% or 5% and won't know for some time. It might be you should run a sticky poll in this forum, and anyone thats dived select "it didnt flood" or "it did" and it might give you an idea. I think unfortunately it would be the same with any brand new product, relaibilty isn't tested until it's out in the wold.... I'd say if you do dive, grease the seal, strap the empty case onto you with cdotton wool and dive. You might say if it goes 10 dives with no issue you might try it, or not :)

I ordered the official case from Amazon and it does not leak. I've had it underwater many times in the last week with no issues. It is indeed the o-ring that makes the seal, not the case. Seems to work fine for me.

Short update on the leaking official YI housing / dead Yi4K saga.

I contacted YI customer services directly and they basically said that unless the camera was bought from Amazon or YI directly ( http://www.yitechnology.com/) that they would not provide any support because 'we cannot guarantee the products authenticity'. They just said I should contact the retailer, which I already had done.

So, apart from the whole leaking-housing issue, I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting support from Yi CS if you have issues with the camera itself and have bought it from anywhere other than Amazon or Yi. You will be directed back to Gearbest or Banggood or wherever and have to rely on their support. This seems very different to the customer support provided by Gitup, who have fixed or replaced a number of faulty or damaged cameras purchased from other retailers. Gitup have also stated publicly that in the case of a leaking case that 'If it is not used in wrong way or mistaken opened, our warranty will cover the the leaked issue and broken camera.' ( https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/is-the-gitup-git2-diving-case-reliable.19317/#post-251383 )

The retailer asked me to take some close-up photos of the case. During the course of taking these I noticed a small hairline crack in the catch/safety lock on the top of the case (photo attached below). So, this may possibly be the cause of the problem? Anyway, the case has been returned to the retailer who says that they will test it (6 hours underwater at a depth of 3 metres, which they tell me is an 'industry standard' for testing - sounds more like the maximum available depth of their local swimming pool...). The fact that they will not test it with a camera inside also strikes me as making the test completely invalid as it is not replicating the 'in use' condition in which it failed. They say that they will place something inside which 'has the same dimensions' as the camera, but I can't imagine what they could find which would be the same, given the reasonably fine tolerences which these things are supposedly manufactured to.

They appear to be trying to be helpful, and have said that they will take up the matter with YI customer services on my behalf - however they have also made a number of statements in emails which are trying to distance themselves from any liability for damage to the camera itself.

Even if the gap between the case and the rear door is not the cause for the leaking, the crack in the plastic surely is an indication of a manufacturing defect (it failed on first usage remember). I hope that YI will show some good customer service and 'do the right thing' by replacing both the case and camera.

I'll update more here as things develop.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 14
Even if the gap between the case and the rear door is not the cause for the leaking, the crack in the plastic surely is an indication of a manufacturing defect (it failed on first usage remember). .

wonder if this will get turned into a 'you must have dropped it and cracked the case' type scenario, hope it works out for you

wonder if this will get turned into a 'you must have dropped it and cracked the case' type scenario, hope it works out for you

I very much hope not (and if it does, it will surely be an indication of Yi's attitude to Customer Service). Apart from a few water/salt marks the case is completely new and unmarked (it was the first time I'd used it) and it was certainly never dropped or subject to any other impacts. Any impact serious enough to crack the plastic on the clip/safety lock would presumably have left other scuffs or dents (of which there are none).

If it makes you feel better, the first time the second time I used my Yi4k skydiving, another jumper made a mistake, rolled and kicked it clean off my helmet. This is very rare, happened to me!

I very much hope not (and if it does, it will surely be an indication of Yi's attitude to Customer Service). Apart from a few water/salt marks the case is completely new and unmarked (it was the first time I'd used it) and it was certainly never dropped or subject to any other impacts. Any impact serious enough to crack the plastic on the clip/safety lock would presumably have left other scuffs or dents (of which there are none).

Hey there, how did this end up for you?

So whats a good Camera Case - I just bought a Yi 4k and going on a Cruise and will be using in the caribien
Im not confident in original case since I see here and on Amazon Cracks in the top latch .
so what did you guys buy
I have seen Kupton has good reviews and a different latching sytem
Yi 4K Case, Kupton Diving Protective Housing Waterproof Case has good reviews ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chris K Yi 4K Action Camera 4
S Yi 4K Action Camera 1
Back