Is this ALL I need to hardwire dash cam?

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Until I get a new one I am going to make do with the camera i've currently got, which is a Mio Mivue 618. At the moment I have the ciggy 12v chunky male end and the wiring flapping about the interior and want to tidy it up.

I thought cameras needed their specific hard wiring kit (as when i search hardwire kit i found lots of "for nextbase....." which is what gave me that assumption. Then someone said something to me which made me think possibly otherwise.

It depends on whether the connector end for my camera is Micro or Mini but the idea is the same. Let's assume for the purposes of these links that it's Micro. Would these be perfectly fine for my camera...

eBay Link 1

eBay Link 2

Or do i need something other than/in addition to this?

... It depends on whether the connector end for my camera is Micro or Mini but the idea is the same. Let's assume for the purposes of these links that it's Micro. Would these be perfectly fine for my camera...
Yes, you have found the right way out in this situation, and for the electrical part it will work without problems.
However, there are two nuances:
- dash Mio may have a non-standard pinout of the power connector, although the recorder will work without problems, but when power is applied, it may not turn on automatically and you will have to turn it on with a button
- the features of the holder may not allow you to connect a direct plug for power, you may need an angled plug
Mio Mivue 618_1_500.jpg Mio Mivue 618_4а.jpg

Although all of these recommendations are just as an addition

- dash Mio may have a non-standard pinout of the power connector, although the recorder will work without problems, but when power is applied, it may not turn on automatically and you will have to turn it on with a button
This bit i don't actually understand what you're saying (i'm poor with electrics). So it is possible that by using the link i provided that it will still not auto-power up the unit and i will need to manually power it by pressing the power button?

If so then that's a bit annoying.
In my last car the previous installer actually used the standard 12v male plug and hard wired a 12v female socket to the car and just connected it up that way. Perhaps he did this for the reason you mentioned, i don't know. What i do know is that when i turned the ignition on the unit would power up.

- the features of the holder may not allow you to connect a direct plug for power, you may need an angled plug
Ahh, now you make that point, i think it is an angled plug as standard.

And looking at it, i'm sure it's a Mini USB, not Micro.

This bit i don't actually understand what you're saying (i'm poor with electrics). So it is possible that by using the link i provided that it will still not auto-power up the unit and i will need to manually power it by pressing the power button?
Possibly. AFAIK the main power (BAT) and ground (-) placement on the plug pins is the same for all USB-type PS's whether cigarette plug type or HWK. There are variations in which pin connects to switched (ACC) power so without being able to find a "pinout" diagram for this cam and PS I can't say that the combination will switch on and off automatically; only that it might.
In my last car the previous installer actually used the standard 12v male plug and hard wired a 12v female socket to the car and just connected it up that way.
Some cars switch the cigarette lighter socket on and off with the key, some power it constantly, and some power it for a predetermined time after the car is switched off, after which the power shuts down. Perhaps your other car was the first type of these three.

In general it's always a safe bet to use the factory supplied or factory recommended power adapters, so that would be my recommendation to you. If one is not listed on the MiVue website then contacting them should get you a recommendation for one which will work. Or you can try one of the HWK's you linked to and see- at worst you'll have to switch the camera manually but there's an equal or better chance that they will do what you want.

Not having the cam or those HWK's I can't say any more than this.

Phil

Back