Issues with hardwired Viofo A229 Pro

Dimitris1976

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I hardwired a A229 Pro with the HK4 kit and set it on Low Bitrate parking mode.
I powered the car off and it worked only once...

I had the cutoff voltage set at 12.2 volts (car is equipped with AGM battery) and it recorded flawlessly for 8 hours the first time.

After that it stopped working. When I turn off the engine and remove the key, I hear the camera announcing that is switching to parking mode, but I find only 1 set of videos (front, rear, cabin) recorded- the one when I am leaving the car - and nothing more.
When I turn the ignition on without starting the engine, the camera starts it's normal full resolution recording.
I did measure the battery with a multimeter and has a resting voltage of 12.8 volts (car off - camera running), so it's not that.

Do you guys have any idea why parking mode is not working?

Did you measure it with the camera connected, in case it makes it sag?

When you turn off the engine and the accessory power, a variety of modules (varies per make/model/features) will go into their prepare for sleep mode. Depending on the make/model/features, some vehicle modules will go into their deep sleep mode from 5 minutes to 45 minutes (some modern Ford vehicles take a long time to go to sleep). The vehicle's battery voltage may drift downward for several minutes after the alternator stops charging the battery (engine running). The combination of the vehicle's battery health, voltage level and how long it takes for the vehicle's modules to go into their deep sleep mode will impact how low the battery voltage will sag down to after the alternator stops charging it.

The hardwire kit's low voltage cutoff (LVC) circuitry can also have up to +/- 0.2 volt variance from the selected LVC value. Even if you selected a LVC voltage value of 12.2V, it could be turning it off too soon if it were within the + 0.2V variance range. The hardwire kit's LVC circuitry could be defective (well outside of the +/- 0.2V range from the setting).

If it's only creating one set of video files after going into parking mode, it sounds like the suggestion from @mentadent would be a good thing to check. Have the multimeter monitoring the battery voltage for the time it takes to create the one set of video files which should also be when the dash camera will power down if the hardwire kit it turning off the power due to a low voltage condition. Watching the voltage level reported on the multimeter during the entire test period would be helpful so you can see how low it drops down to before the power off event occurs.

Ok. This is embarrassing... ‍️
I had the red (always powered) wire connected on a switched line that doesn't cut immediately...
I moved the fuse tap to another - continously on - line and it's all dandy!

I still don't understand why it parking recorded fine the first time around.
Maybe I forgot to lock the doors and it didn't cut out...

Thank you all for your responses!

Back