jokiin's A2S60 Dash Cam (GS1000 Based)

Sounds nice .. especially if it stays reliable etc ... one thing that I hate about the chinese market is, that everything seems russian roulette ... never know if my lens is busted or not etc.

As a newbie, a question: Why not the ambarella a5 or a7? Are those not increasing the quality of the image as well? Ambarella is all I recognize ... your choice of GPS chip and lens etc tell me nothing so far :)

voon said:
As a newbie, a question: Why not the ambarella a5 or a7? Are those not increasing the quality of the image as well? Ambarella is all I recognize ... your choice of GPS chip and lens etc tell me nothing so far :)

this model has been in production for over a year with just some minor changes, we have new models in development now on the A5 and A7 platforms, they should be ready later this year

Maybe its just me, but I really like a SD card better than the Micro SD (TF) ... but I assume they are used to cut down on size of the camera? I always have a hard time getting the Micro cards in and out, and they're so much easier to lose / break / etc.

Chad said:
Maybe its just me, but I really like a SD card better than the Micro SD (TF) ... but I assume they are used to cut down on size of the camera? I always have a hard time getting the Micro cards in and out, and they're so much easier to lose / break / etc.

I agree with you totally, much prefer SD myself as well, it doesn't work with a lot of smaller designs though unfortunately so MicroSD becomes a necessary evil

jokiin said:
this model has been in production for over a year with just some minor changes, we have new models in development now on the A5 and A7 platforms, they should be ready later this year

If I could bug you some more: What's the Advantage of the better chips? Better image quality? As far as I know, the hero3 uses an A7? I assumed all those chips are fairly cheap if ordered in the hundreds, so even suitable for low priced higher end cams, but I don't understand much about margins in production :) Also: Any idea, why so many cams report as overheating or unrealiable? MicroSD or not is something I'd consider cosmetic ... a reliably consistingly good sensor and lens etc are much more key.

Who is "we" btw? I missed your origin/company etc.

jokiin said:
Chad said:

I agree with you totally, much prefer SD myself as well, it doesn't work with a lot of smaller designs though unfortunately so MicroSD becomes a necessary evil

That's what I figured, everyone wants smaller and smaller footprints.

voon said:
If I could bug you some more: What's the Advantage of the better chips? Better image quality? As far as I know, the hero3 uses an A7? I assumed all those chips are fairly cheap if ordered in the hundreds, so even suitable for low priced higher end cams,

the newer chips have increased processing power, can offer higher frame rates etc and the ability to do more, speed alerts etc which is possible on the A2 platform but really pushing it

voon said:
Also: Any idea, why so many cams report as overheating or unrealiable? MicroSD or not is something I'd consider cosmetic ... a reliably consistingly good sensor and lens etc are much more key.

I'm not sure, I think the overheating issue is a problem for some Korean cams that use a TI solution, I don't really thing Ambarella has this problem, even it high bit rate or frame rates heat hasn't been an issue

reliability though, that comes down to component choice and firmware, cost cutting leads to poor component choices with questionable results, most use generic firmware from solution providers and it's not always that well sorted, the category suffers credibility issues as a result of this, will take time for that to improve

Hey jokiin been fallowing the thread a little, but may have missed it. I wanted to mention that i would also be interested down the line if you started selling internationally through eBay or so, but i wanted to ask a little about casing design if i could. I have been playing around with my GS8000 a little when it decides to work and have noticed that the LED location choice seems a little poor.

The red LED for charging and then the blue LED blinking for record can cause a purple flash in the light that is a little bothering for some reason. I guess they did that to save space but it would seem a little more nice looking to have the blue light by where record is written and the red light near where power is written. I was curious about the LEDs on your camera and also about GPS I like having a screen, but to check to make sure my GPS is ok i have to tap a button to get the screen to come on and check for the hopefully green icon. I was wondering if there was any talk of having a light that is steady green on when GPS has a signal and not lit when no GPS signal is received.

that would be a hardware change on a GS1000 platform camera so not practical but might be something that could be worked into upcoming models where designs are not yet finalised, all valid feedback, I've had a few ideas already which have come directly out of this forum so the feedback is always welcome

if we're wishlisting:

Decent, nice lenses .. good glass units, and a decent Sensor or FullHD (who needs 5 Megapixels or more in a FullHD DVR? If anything, too many pixels on those tiny sensors are going to influence each other electrically, no?), off a povider, which has a working QC department. Broken software is one thing, but russian roulette on the hardware parts is just downright nasty ... it's one of these things that annoy me in the chinese market. You have 10 people buying the same thing, and they all complain about something else being broken. QC in china seems somewhat nonexistant.

And what of things like the HDS001 being "aluminium cased"... I somehow doubt that. But I have to admit, a decent black case would be nice ... some of these cams looks so extremely cheap and have haptics, that make you cry .. feels so utterly cheap. Sure, we're not shelling out big $$$ for them, but it seems some manage to do something more decent than those supercheap plastic things of most gs1000s. I really like it if a bit of design effort has been put it. The HDW001 is not bad, also the orange color bits on an F90G etc .. it has to remain black and unobtrusive, though, no shiny metal chrome parts.

I realize these things aren't easily to provide on 60-90 USD cams ... but should be doable in the 140 USD range, no?

Just a suggestion buddy, can the date be displayed in Australian format :

DD/MM/YYYY

it seems all cameras use American format.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Milamber said:
Just a suggestion buddy, can the date be displayed in Australian format :

DD/MM/YYYY

it seems all cameras use American format.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

that's on the to do list already (annoys me as well)

Australian? Neary the whole world uses it, only Americans don't get it with sane units and orders (well, and some others..).

But next wishlist item:

I saw comparison videos on youtube of the V474 and others. Bloody hell ... that's some decent crips night video! WDR sensor and noise reduction are incredible. After that, I decided I throw all cams without that off my list :)

voon said:
But next wishlist item:

I saw comparison videos on youtube of the V474 and others. Bloody hell ... that's some decent crips night video! WDR sensor and noise reduction are incredible. After that, I decided I throw all cams without that off my list :)

we are working on new models with WDR sensor, you won't see that added to this model at all but it's coming in other models

voon said:
Australian? Neary the whole world uses it, only Americans don't get it with sane units and orders (well, and some others..).

But next wishlist item:

Then why is every dashcam that comes out of Asia using American date?

Milamber said:
voon said:

But next wishlist item:

Then why is every dashcam that comes out of Asia using American date?

Chinese format is YYYY/MM/DD but I would guess the USA format being the default possibly has something to do with the design origins of the processors which are predominantly USA parent companies

I remember seeing the option to change it on one of my cameras, just can't remember which one...DVR-207 maybe? You can change between 3 combinations I think.

Chad said:
I remember seeing the option to change it on one of my cameras, just can't remember which one...DVR-207 maybe? You can change between 3 combinations I think.

it's on the to do list for ours, just haven't got to it as yet

Hi!

Do You think this cam will be released soon?
I think that this is exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks!

Kind regards,
RoB

Back