Just got the SC9665GC, any way to get rid of glare?

Nothing wrong with my dice ;)

At night time the CPL will always give a slightly blurrier (and usually slightly darker) picture as it's knocking the exposure back a bit and less light is hitting the sensor - some people are still happy with the footage with a CPL at night but I prefer it without as I always want the best possible output with the least effort (i.e. I can't be arsed removing a CPL every night and then adjusting it each time) so a dash mat is a happy compromise.

Daytime CPL footage looks great on a lot of cameras - depending on sensor the Sony Exmor seem to work best with them at night as it is slightly more sensitive than other sensors and then the Omnivision OV4689 seem to do a decent enough job at night too.

The CPL takes some light away so you get more blur at night time - you can see in the video below the top footage is slightly sharper (although not a massive amount) which is the camera without the CPL:

It's maybe not as obvious from resized YT footage but the original footage from the camera without the CPL was definitely sharper with less motion blur.

HOYA HD CPL is premium class and coping and night with video footage better than any other dascham CPL filters available. I think a year ago someone already posted similar test with DOD dashcam showing that HOYA HD has best video result for night. Majority of other common CPL filters affecting night footage by 1 F-stop at night making video darker.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hoya does still affect it, just not as much as the other CPLs which was why I went down that route - I can't believe it's been a year already but this was when I tried it:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hoya-hd-cpl-filter-for-dod-ls460w.6770/

And you may mean these videos from @Dutchdashcam:

The Hoya HD filter lets you take pictures like you see in the holiday brochures too :)

View attachment 16110

Yeah, I meant the affect at night from Hoya HD is minimal in comparison to other CPL filters commonly used on dashcams.
Nice Desktop screensaver / background ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the list of people interested in a CPL filter. I never noticed how bad the glare in our Corolla was before. Here's an example of how bad it can get:

The 3rd party designer/manufacturer we choose to help us create a custom SG9665GC CPL is on holiday the next 2 weeks. Good News, we expect to receive a few CPL samples by the end of the month and will move forward with production once the quality and perfect fit is confirmed. Confidence level is high, the gears are turning, and we are looking forward to creating a CPL solution.
Any update on this?

arranging some now, @niko has some with/without CPL comparison videos prepared under all sorts of lighting conditions that I'm sure he'll share very soon

arranging some now, @niko has some with/without CPL comparison videos prepared under all sorts of lighting conditions that I'm sure he'll share very soon
Cool. Anything you can share on availability/cost?

Cool. Anything you can share on availability/cost?

availability probably about 3 weeks at a guess, price I'm not sure, I know what they cost but what that ends up by the time they arrive in each market, local costs etc I'm not sure, personally I'm not looking to make money on them but just deliver a result and cover the costs of doing that, they're made to fit though so the starting point is a lot higher than a generic CPL, will try and keep things as lean as possible

Back