K2 shuts down for no reason/at random

I will say that it seem like you have done all you could do with that K2 of yours, i respect that CUZ in this day and age most would just fly off the handle and hit the high C note with their whine.

From your explanations it would sound like you have heat problems, and probably a battery / capacitor issue too if your last files in a session are always corrupted.
Have you also tried to exchange the main unit itself ?

With everything going on, i do so hope you find a satisfactory solution to your situation. (y)

Yep. And I did some crude testing at home yesterday that suggests the DVR is not the problem.

Yesterday it ran without issue for a full 40 minutes, sitting on a black-painted piece of wood, in full sunlight and 98°F temperature. I only shut it down because I was going out for the evening, and was not comfortable leaving it unattended.

To be clear, that was with USB power, and NOT on the bike.

I've been discussing this with a fellow on the Innovv forums. He has some equipment I don't (lab power supply, temperature-controlled "oven") and may be able to shed more light on what's happening, once he gets hold of one of the "new" style power cubes. He has one of the "old" power supplies with the K2 on his bike, and has not had unexplained, hot-weather shutdowns.

Something is fishy for sure.
You and OCD tronic do good on the matter.

The only part that hasn't been replaced is the GPS antenna, because there's been no evidence it's part of the problem.

I've left it disconnected (and turned off GPS logging in the K2 app) for recent tests.

yeah i have never heard of GPS antenna having any effect on camera performance, other than no or slow GPS fix problems, and if thats it also some times interference with car factory GPS navigation.

If you can run the system at home on a USB wall wart, and say put in a window sill ( i test dashcams in my living room some times as it is south facing ) and it work just fine there ??????
I am glad i am not in your shoes, i do like a challenge like any man of course, but when i have exhausted all my possible solutions to that challenge my OCD quickly push ne into a dark pit of frustration.

Oh yeah it's been super duper frustrating.

I got a dashcam so I would have evidence of some driver causing an accident, and to capture neat things like seeing elk on mountain rides, but I can't rely on the K2 for either of those things because it won't stay on.

I don't have a power supply that will operate at the same as the bike's charging system (14.5V), so I'm limited in the testing I can do off the bike.

Have you tried testing with the power just on the bike, but not having the engine running ?
Not that i think it would make a difference, but it is a simple test, at least if you live in a place where you can have your bike sitting ON with the keys in it like that.

Not know how the K2 is wired.

I have a garage, so I could do that, but why? I would only run down my bike battery.

The K2 power supply has 3 wires, just like a car dashcam hardwire kit. Red one on battery (+) terminal. Black one on battery (-) terminal. Yellow one to an accessory fuse panel, which gets powered once you turn the bike's key. That's how the K2 knows to turn on and off. At least it's supposed to work that way. It turns on, it just doesn't stay on.

Yeah i dont really know, maybe wit the engine running the control / management of the bikes electronics are something else than just with the power ON
When it stop recording have you tried to measure the voltages on the 12 V side ( cant recall if the K2 are a 5V camera and so need a converter )
but maybe the bike have mixed feelings on whatever it feel go on on that ACC circuit and so kill it.

Just throwing balls in the air, if you think they look sucky just let them fall to the ground. :)

Yes, I've actually taken a multimeter on rides so I could stop and measure charging voltage when I noticed the K2 had shut off. Never found anything unusual - just the same boring, steady 14.5V as always.

I believe the DVR does run on 5V power. That's part of what the power cube does (convert from ~12V input to 5V).

It looks as if the power cube is deciding to turn off the DVR when it should not. That would explain the last video files being corrupted, and why I can't get the DVR to shut itself off at random when powered by USB.

I don't have any way to monitor the power converter's behavior, so I don't really know what it's doing, or why it would randomly decide to turn off the DVR.

This is not a complex setup. Bike provides 14.5V to run accessories and keep battery charged, while engine is running. By all indications, that voltage never varies more than 0.01V. Wiring is simple. Yet somehow the K2's power converter gets "confused" and thinks it needs to turn off the DVR. Makes no sense.

I have a garage, so I could do that, but why? I would only run down my bike battery.

The K2 power supply has 3 wires, just like a car dashcam hardwire kit. Red one on battery (+) terminal. Black one on battery (-) terminal. Yellow one to an accessory fuse panel, which gets powered once you turn the bike's key. That's how the K2 knows to turn on and off. At least it's supposed to work that way. It turns on, it just doesn't stay on.
where do you pull your ACC feed from on the bike, which circuit?

I am wondering could the BAT and ACC wires be mislabeled / mis wired, and if it would be worth it and try and swap the two around.
As i understand it, it should not hurt the system.

Well then the bike seems good, the cam seems good, and should be no EMI, heat, or powering issues so I'm at a loss to explain it unless you've got Rod Serling on back and you're riding in the Twilight Zone.... and I doubt that too. Wish I could have been of more help here.

I do want to say that all involved have my respect for the extra efforts they've made throughout and in sharing it here.

Phil
Aw shucks.

Seriously though, OCDTronic is awesome. You should buy something from them.

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get the Innovv K2 to work. Assuming that bears out, I plan to buy the Viofo MT1 from OCD as soon as it's available.

I've dealt with Jon before- no better place or people to do business with and that will be happening again (y) Hope you find a workable solution ASAP ;)

Phil

where do you pull your ACC feed from on the bike, which circuit?
There's a 6-slot accessory fuse panel under the seat. It's fed from the battery via relay. The relay is triggered when you turn the bike key to "on." So, as soon as you do that the fuse panel has battery voltage across it. Once you start the engine, panel has 14.5V (normal charging system voltage) across it.

The triggering relay is certainly connected to a circuit that is only powered when the bike is "on," but I couldn't say exactly which circuit. It's never mattered. Everything else I've ever hooked up to the accessory fuse panel worked fine.

I tried to dig out exactly where that's connected but it's hard to say. Might be wired directly to the regulator/rectifier, so that there's nothing between the relay and R/R for reliable triggering.

As I've possibly stated before, I've taken a multimeter with me on rides and measured the fuse panel voltage "live." I've never seen any indication that it was going even a little below 14.5V with the engine running. No reason for the power cube to shut down the DVR.

I've dealt with Jon before- no better place or people to do business with and that will be happening again (y) Hope you find a workable solution ASAP ;)

Phil
Patience of a saint. I upgraded to a 256 GB SD card for my car dashcam earlier than planned as some small reward for the great service. No qualms about laying down cash for the Viofo MT1 w/OCTronic, assuming I can't get the K2 to work and MT1 becomes available.

I am wondering could the BAT and ACC wires be mislabeled / mis wired, and if it would be worth it and try and swap the two around.
As i understand it, it should not hurt the system.
If so it was done at the factory and the same way on every one of my power cubes. I've had 3 of the cubes, and they were all the same.

I suppose I could try putting the BAT wire (red) and ACC wire (yellow) both on the battery + post, so that the system always has power. That is a little risky because then the K2 would (in theory) never shut down by itself and I could discharge my battery. But, I always hook the bike up to a battery charger when I get home, and I believe it's possible to manually power-down the K2 by holding the silver button on the DVR.

Wiring things up that way would mean all power comes directly from the battery terminals. That *should* cut out any funkiness with the accessory fuse panel, which I don't think exists anyway, but who knows. We're grasping at straws here.

I suppose I could try putting the BAT wire (red) and ACC wire (yellow) both on the battery + post, so that the system always has power. That is a little risky because then the K2 would (in theory) never shut down by itself and I could discharge my battery. But, I always hook the bike up to a battery charger when I get home, and I believe it's possible to manually power-down the K2 by holding the silver button on the DVR.

Wiring things up that way would mean all power comes directly from the battery terminals. That *should* cut out any funkiness with the accessory fuse panel, which I don't think exists anyway, but who knows. We're grasping at straws here.
you wouldn't want it as a permanent setup but as a test having both wires to the B+ would rule out any funky behavior coming from the relay switched ACC power feed being the cause

true, it wouldn't be a big deal to manually power-off the K2 each time I park to make sure it doesn't run down the battery. Or even uncouple the power plug.

That's for later though. Today, I have the DVR again behind (but not under) the seat, hooked up to USB power (courtesy of a 12V USB charger).

It was good to confirm that the DVR can run in full sunlight, on a non-heatsink surface, no problem. That means I should be just fine with it behind the seat, either uncovered, or with the plastic sun shade I made.

Putting the DVR under the seat is really inconvenient, and I'd only do it as a last resort. Not much point in having status LEDs that I can never see, and it's a PITA to have to take the seat off to get the SD card.

Back