K2 shuts down for no reason/at random

Promising early results.

Rode to and from work today with DVR behind (but not under) seat, sun shade Velcro'd to DVR, GPS antenna connected, power via USB.

DVR did not shut down on morning ride. That, I expected.

On the way home, I rode around town for an hour or so to see what happened. It was at or a little over 100°F/38°C the entire time, only brief stops in a little shade. No highway travel until the last few minutes of the trip.

DVR not only stayed on, it recorded the whole time. The only video clips that were corrupted were the last pair, being recorded when I shut down the bike at home. That, I did not expect!

Seems we've narrowed the problem to something about the power cube.

Next effort: use power cube, except connect yellow wire ("ACC" sense wire) to battery + terminal so DVR always gets power.

No, I mean I didn't expect the DVR to stay on and record for over an hour in very hot weather. It's never done that before.

No, I mean I didn't expect the DVR to stay on and record for over an hour in very hot weather. It's never done that before.
ok, well that's a good sign I guess, might point to the problems just being power related rather than heat with the actual DVR, that's a good thing

BTW, there is no automatic shutdown when the DVR is powered by USB, but you can manually turn it off "nicely" by holding down the big silver button.

I tested it this morning. Video clips being recorded at shutdown were properly closed and so playable & complete w/metadata.

I'll be doing this the next several rides, provided I remember to do so.

Another ride in very high temperatures (over 100°F). K2 again did not shut down. Remembered to do a manual shutdown when I got home.

K2 recorded the whole time, but some clips are randomly missing GPS points. So I appear to teleport at times/there are dropouts in the moving map, though the video is continuous. WTF.

Last edited:
We rode for about an hour last night. K2 stayed on the whole time, which I expected since it was below 90°F, and USB power seems reliable.

Here's a really weird thing though: All clips except one are missing GPS data. The one that has it, has us going 87 mph for the entire duration of the clip. Even when stopped. We didn't go that fast at any time, as we stayed off the highway.

The GPS thing, you might want to do a reset hardware ( if the camera have that option ) and might as well do a reset camera too, and then do your few setting changes.
That fixed a similar issue i was having with a new test camera i have.

If that dont do it, i am tempted to say experiment with GPS antenna placement, though you only get sporadic dropouts,,,,,, it could also be a location thing.
Now that you have "pinpointed" a location, maybe drive by another day to see if it is the same in that location, which could mean something are polluting the airwaves GPS use.
You can also get GPS jammers, could also be one of those in use, though a sane person will have problems thinking why

Last edited:
More results!

I did a "soft" reset (menu option in app), but maybe I need to do a "hard" reset, using the recessed switch on the DVR.

Because here's what happened.

Two things basically:

1) DVR was shut off non-gracefully about 45 minutes into a 1 hr 15 min (approx.) ride. So, no video after that point.

2) None of the clips had any GPS data until ~15 minutes into the ride.

Temperatures were 95°F or more. It seems clear that the power cube cannot handle heat.

At the same time, it isn't anything as simple as the power cube shutting down due to heat. Blue LED was still on when I stopped some time after I noticed the WiFi signal had gone away (DVR shutdown). Blue LED was also still on when I got home & removed seat.

No idea what's up with the GPS. It didn't start logging until after 15 clips (well, 30 if you count front and back cams), but at least it did get logged until the DVR was suddenly turned off.

One problem at a time.

Since USB power has been reliable, I've gone back to power-by-USB configuration. Power cube was returned to previous connection setup (ACC wire on accessory fuse panel rather than battery + terminal), so that it won't unnecessarily drain battery.

How is the recessed Reset thingy on the DVR supposed to work?

I tried poking mine with a paperclip. No indication it did anything. No tactile feedback. Is mine broken?

Normally there are a tiny hole with a switch some mm behind it, and you can usually feel then the switch "toggle"

Usually, but not happening with mine. Either the switch is missing or broken.

I was just looking at the manual online, there is no mentioning of a reset switch, but there is a 12 "Rest" ,,,,,,, which i assume could be misspelling of reset.
cant you feel anything in there ? i would try something non conductive and probe around a little, some times the switch can be more than a few mm inside the hole, but they are usually always directly in line with the hole.

I tried that, there's no "click" or other feedback.

When I've used these on other products, very little force was required because you were only pressing a springy piece of metal mounted on the circuit board.

Guess mine is broken. I'll have to assume the "soft" reset from inside the app accomplishes the same thing.

Flashing firmware also does a complete reset - and I need to try one anyway. I may have uncovered a major flaw (GPS logging doesn't work properly) in the K2 v0.70 firmware, so I'll be testing with firmware v0.57 (the last one I had no problems with) later this week.

Yeah, the firmware route will also be a option. (y)

One thing I need to look at: is GPS data actually missing, vs. some problem with Dashcam Viewer, caused by malformed video clips I get when the DVR is suddenly shut off.

Dashcam Viewer can sometimes get confused when there are corrupted video clips in the folder I'm viewing. I've had it show the wrong time or out-of-sync moving map position.

Yes a dashcam player can also turn up issues, personally i only use a regular player to see the video, i dont get much out on about on new roads so i know where i am for sure.

It is possible to get lost in little old Danmark, you can even still run out of tarmac on a road.
But you have to work a little to get that lost.

If the GPS cannot be made reliable I will be disappointed, but can live with it. There are not many situations where I would need the GPS coordinates to verify location. It's more of a nice-to-have.

I am thrilled to finally have my K2 simply staying on when it should. That's a very big deal!

Yeah you had to work hard to get this far, and IMO also harder than any paying man should be asked to do.
And yes i favor having GPS too, even if in dashcams it is not the least smart to account for daylight savings ASO, and if i speed a little now and then its okay if that get displayed too, it is far less and much more infrequent it happen VS when i was really bad in the 90ties.
It is a substantial miracle i have never gotten a single speeding ticket, but perhaps thats also why i never win anything when i play the lotto, must have emptied my luck account back then.

Back