K2S received

So far i have only tried a Samsung card and a Toshiba one, both worked fine.

So far i have only tried a Samsung card and a Toshiba one, both worked fine.
What sizes and types? I have never gone over 128GB, but for Parking mode in K2S maybe I would need that.

It is the 128 Gb Samsung EVO plus, and the Toshiba are the exceria U3 model ( M302 ) that for a while was the cheapest U3 card here.
I don't have larger cards than 128 Gb myself, which i find fine for a dual channel, at least not using parking guard, but i did not notice any "too little" problems with 128 GB in the camera.
As i recall they have tested with larger cards in the factory, but i am not aware what memory cards in particular they used, but i think it is fairly open what to use.

I've been using the Samsung EVO Select 64GB card with zero problems. I'm going to try the 128GB version tomorrow.

Though the selection of really good cards for video recording is smaller than it once was, the prices are currently very low so anyone thinking of buying cards would do well to do that soon ;)

Phil

Today was the day where i turned the k2S dashcam to a side dashcam,,,, for which it is well suited thanks to the small camera units, and the remote head unit.

But i did run into some problems:
1 : The power cable for use with the OBD adapter are very short, though i have OBD port above throttle pedal and camera on lower part of B pillar in the same side, the cable can not reach :cry:
So for now i will have to use conventional power and miss out on the OBD stuff. ( not sure if i can lengthen the wire, at the USB A end it do look to be a regular USB plug, so will try that tomorrow )
2: The wire clamp don't work for me ATM, but is is due to me using a standard USB A to USB C wire to power the camera, it is only "physical" due to the larger plastic just behind the USB C plug, which i can trim if i want to.
But if i can get the original OBD power cable to work the issue also go away.
3: In my seat there is a airbag i think, so where i have the main unit placed now are not good, will have to move it, maybe to the center console.

First some footage from the new setup, after that a little video where i explain the install.

Last edited:
Is there any way to know what UART options/standards we have as I would like to make few info available for OBD overlay but supplied by UART.

UART baud rate in K2S:
OBD output 38400
GPS output 9600
system I/O 115200
all in 8 data bit

First some footage from the new setup, after that a little video where i explain the install.

after minutes watching on the side view videos, i feel everything going round and round in my head.......

In my car, I stick the K2S here, it is much more convenient to check status and review.

1 : The power cable for use with the OBD adapter are very short, though i have OBD port above throttle pedal and camera on lower part of B pillar in the same side, the cable can not reach :cry:
So for now i will have to use conventional power and miss out on the OBD stuff. ( not sure if i can lengthen the wire, at the USB A end it do look to be a regular USB plug, so will try that tomorrow )

the current power&data cable is 1.5meter long, do you think 2m will be enough? If too long, you have to find somewhere to hide the excrescent part.

for you current situation, I have a thought:
1, we have 4 extending cables in the packaging
2, you may only used 3 of them: left cam + right cam + GPS, so there is 1 extending cable left
3, plug the power&data cable into OBD driver, and extend the power&data cable with the spare extending cable.
4, the wires in extending cable is thick enough so the voltage drop from OBD can be ignored, no impact to function.
5, enjoy :)

Yes i have the very longest cable not in use.
I was not aware i could use the other cables, at least not on the OBD, somehow i told myself they was for the cameras only.

I have been thinking about the place you also use for the K2S.

K2S as 50 % of a full coverage system, need to adjust the 2 side cameras to same angle, and then it seem like i can not use the time stamp from 2 GPS cameras to sync, so will have to do that by sound another time.

K2S handling people going the other way at our 70 Vs 80 km/h highway speeds, do quite well with this amount of daylight, at night it is of course a whole other matter.

Issue:
The K2S powered with the OBD dongle show a RPM of 700 something RPM when in parking mode ( G sensor motion detect )

The footage are pinched in hight to make room for 2 cameras.

Issue:
Today while parked some one parked beside me ( G sensor motion detect )
And even with constant motion in front of camera the K2S still split it up in 20 seconds ( visibel seconds long gap ) 20 seconds ( visible seconds long gap )
And then the rest, the clip also stop while the 2 are still in frame and moving.
And note the rest footage of the 2 + dogs walking away are more than 20 seconds, so the camera can make larger than 20 sec files, but somehow it can miss a person right in front of the lens move as indicated by the 2 gaps at 20 and 40 seconds.
So your ques are 20 - 40 seconds and the very end where i think it maybe should have recorded for a little longer.
So maybe there need to be some adjustments here too ? i would have expected the camera to keep recording one long file as long as there are motion ??

Last edited:
I downloaded it but it have 2 files in the ZIP file, do they both have to be on the memory card ?
should only need the firmware file, the other is the boot loader, if the firmware doesn't load run the loader file first then the firmware

Will have to mark wires tomorrow and then bring main unit to computer table, just the bin did not work for me today.
And all those wires ( 4 ) are all looking the same, so a bit of painters tape and a pen and i will know what is what when i plug wires back in.

Back