K2S received

I don't think their new offering has been offered as yet, was mentioned recently as coming soon

:( Was looking high and low for a good quality cams to use for the sides..guess have to wait a while longer... Nevertheless, thanks all for your feedback!

Ahhh!

AHHH! Great! Do you have the link to Viofo's new offering? Thanks a lot!
Only link to info that I have is:

Which only tells you that it is coming soonish.

Only link to info that I have is:

Which only tells you that it is coming soonish.

Thanks for the information.. Appreciated.. i was contemplating the vsystos m2f to act as my side mirror cams too..but fear it may be too bulky..

Thanks for the information.. Appreciated.. i was contemplating the vsystos m2f to act as my side mirror cams too..but fear it may be too bulky..
I would find it hard to mount that big LCD screen in a sensible place, one of the issues I also have with the K2S, although it can be mounted somewhere hidden since you don't really need to see the screen. Uses decent sensors.

I would find it hard to mount that big LCD screen in a sensible place, one of the issues I also have with the K2S, although it can be mounted somewhere hidden since you don't really need to see the screen. Uses decent sensors.

If i got the m2f, I'd mount the screen on my dashboard. But the wiring would get ugly exposed on my dashboard.. The videos from the m2f looks bright and sharp . Which cam are you referring to when you said uses decent sensors?

If i got the m2f, I'd mount the screen on my dashboard. But the wiring would get ugly exposed on my dashboard.. The videos from the m2f looks bright and sharp . Which cam are you referring to when you said uses decent sensors?
I tried the K2S on my car dashboard, and that seems a smaller screen, all the cables made it impossible to get it looking OK, and the cables are not very flexible so hard to hide. All these cameras seem to have the same problem, too many cables.

Sensors - Just checked, m2f is using IMX323, which is an older sensor, not Starvis. When I first looked it up I thought it said IMX327, maybe I read the wrong thing. For the side view, a fast sensor is important since traffic going the opposite direction can have huge motion blur at the sides, a Starvis sensor would seem sensible. Specifications for the Viofo are not available yet so can't say what sensor it uses ;)

I tried the K2S on my car dashboard, and that seems a smaller screen, all the cables made it impossible to get it looking OK, and the cables are not very flexible so hard to hide. All these cameras seem to have the same problem, too many cables.

Sensors - Just checked, m2f is using IMX323, which is an older sensor, not Starvis. When I first looked it up I thought it said IMX327, maybe I read the wrong thing. For the side view, a fast sensor is important since traffic going the opposite direction can have huge motion blur at the sides, a Starvis sensor would seem sensible. Specifications for the Viofo are not available yet so can't say what sensor it uses ;)

Thanks again for your reply.. yes, the cables are numerous and thick?, So that makes hiding them difficult..yes, the sensor would be very important for clear pictures.. im pointing the side cams back towards the rear of my car, to catch sideswipes on my left and right rear sides (not pointing directly to the left and right of the car..). So in this case, i would mount the cams under the side mirrors and pointing rear-wards

Thanks again for your reply.. yes, the cables are numerous and thick?, So that makes hiding them difficult..yes, the sensor would be very important for clear pictures.. im pointing the side cams back towards the rear of my car, to catch sideswipes on my left and right rear sides (not pointing directly to the left and right of the car..). So in this case, i would mount the cams under the side mirrors and pointing rear-wards
I think you will find that given the field of view of these lenses, you will actually point them outwards, maybe at 45 degrees backwards and get a good side view of things as they pass, the number plates will then have huge motion blur as they reach the front edge of the image, not so much towards the rear edge. An IMX323 can do this job, but a faster sensor would be preferable.

The cables may not be particularly thick, but when you have several of them going similar directions it is hard to make them look neat and they certainly wont make a right angle turn and go through a hole in the dash to make them invisible without first rising up above the dash looking untidy.

The multiple thick cables are one of the few issues I have, but there doesn't seem to be anything to do for that with this type of cam. The whole idea here is to mount the 'head' somewhere out of the way- if you want a screen in the driver's view there are other cams which do that so really it's not a big issue and perhaps even a feature. This is a "one size fits all" kind of thing where fitment will be imperfect for almost everyone but do-able nonetheless.

The IMX323 sensors are OK overall; they seem to have taken the niche that the AR0330 had a few years ago by being found in many mid-level and lower cams even if better sensors do exist. There seems to be some delay in development or production happening- perhaps better sensors are coming? I don't know. I do know I like this cam quite a lot and I think it will be a success especially when the waterproof sensors are offered, as darn few cams are this versatile.

Phil

Yes even if it is just a few more cables, it do feel a bit overwhelming even for a old dashcam addict, i could see newbies being a bit overwhelmed by all this, not least if they for some silly reason want the main unit in view.

TBH i would feel better if the main unit was a bit larger, seem so monumental to have so many wired terminating in such a small box. And i cant see a larger main unit should be a problem, at least not if you want to hide it.

I think what is needed for this type of camera is a wireless monitor, then you can hide the box away in a place that makes routing the cables easy.
If you are using an Android monitor then you should be able to run multiple apps on it, use it for your satnav as well as dashcam monitor and have it look neat.

wifi and an app, how often do you look at the screen on any camera, convenient for setup and checking for errors so I wouldn't go without a screen at all, but no need to have it on display

wifi and an app, how often do you look at the screen on any camera, convenient for setup and checking for errors so I wouldn't go without a screen at all, but no need to have it on display
It depends on what you are using the cameras for. I typically only view footage after getting home, but it is nice to be able to stop on the road and view it on the big tablet screen. I've been happily using the B1W which has no screen, only wifi, for over a year so a screen on the device itself is definitely not required.

Some people might install a camera like the K2S to help backing a large trailer, in which case they do want to be able to see the image on a decent screen while driving, a screen much bigger and brighter than any built in one is going to be.

Given the wiring to the DVR box and the installation options that gives, having the screen on the box just doesn't seem sensible, it can only be used for initial setup, if you install it under the seat of your motorbike then you can't use it while driving and aren't likely to look at it any other time.

Some people might install a camera like the K2S to help backing a large trailer, in which case they do want to be able to see the image on a decent screen while driving, a screen much bigger and brighter than any built in one is going to be.
dashcams make for poor reverse cameras, wrong tool for the job

I only look at screens for signs of normal operation, and then more so on test cameras + when updating firmware.
If / when firmware will be able to retain old settings when flashing, then i will not look much at dashcam LCD screens.

I would have liked the whole back of the main unit was one large heat sink, i have also contemplated if it was better to plug wires into the back Vs the end like on the K2S, but i would rather have a large heat sink and higher bitrates.

It would also be nice with a wifi on / off button, as if the camera use lower bitrate when wifi is on than you cant have that on all the time if that lower bitrate.
Maybe long press event button or DBL click event button to turn on / off wifi as i would hate to reach for some on main unit wifi button.

Just notices today, some kind of ghosting in the images of cars passing by, at first i was thinking well its due to the low light and slow exposures, but out on the highway and with enough light to still read a plate on the car going the other way the ghosts still drag behind vehicles, and it dont look like a drawn out motion blur, more like some kind of HDR hickup or something.

1blå.jpg
1grå.jpg
1rød.jpg

Just notices today, some kind of ghosting in the images of cars passing by, at first i was thinking well its due to the low light and slow exposures, but out on the highway and with enough light to still read a plate on the car going the other way the ghosts still drag behind vehicles, and it dont look like a drawn out motion blur, more like some kind of HDR hickup or something.

View attachment 47998
View attachment 47999
View attachment 48000
That would be a very long HDR time!

My guess is that they left the temporal noise reduction turned on and you are seeing a ghost from the previous frame traveling through time. (3D noise reduction)

I have tried to swap the memory card to a Samsung one, but the camera still dont record some drives ( use OBD for power and parking mode G sensor / motion detect )
I can set off fine, stop by the gas station ( camera go into parking mode ) Drive on from there to my mothers place ( where the camera then shut down instead of going into parking mode when i stop the car ) and then after a hour or so get back to my car and drive home and not have that drive home recorded.
This also happen even if the memory card are not full.
Still have not tried regular power, my leg are still not well enough for me to climb around in the car, but i hope to be able to do that next weekend or one of the following days.

Back