K2S received

Personally id rather the LCD display removed altogether, just because we have a separate box doesn't mean we want to fill that box with things we will not need when hidden out of sight. I get the idea but, if the idea is discreteness then having a bloomin great screen on display isnt going to be much good :) still, its closer than what we had :)

Okay i have just experienced a new problem on the K2S.

So this morning i set off to the shop, and then after that to the gas station, and all of this was recorded just fine bot the driving and parking mode while shopping.
But then upon leaving the gas station the K2S entered a boot loop, and inspecting its memory card when i got home it is also clear the camera shut down or at least dident enter parking mode when i reached the gas station.
The last file of me arriving at the gas station also have me leaving the car, buy my stuff, and returning to the car, and that file are not a full 3 minute file it is only 2.5 minute and start just before i stop beside the gas pump.

K2S card files.jpg

I am starting to think maybe the OBD devise provided are not strong enough to power the K2S, the random failure to start recording some times, thinking back it are much like when i had a mobius as rear camera on a too long and poor quality USB wire.
I think i will have to go the the underground garage one of these days, and switch over to regular means of powering and relocate the K2S main unit away from the B pillar and the seat airbag there.

it is strongly suggested to lock the cables with cable holder. I have seen your cables are damaged for some reason. maybe safety belt locker impact.
We know USB-C is much stronger than other connectors but it is also not designed for heavy duty use.

do you have the format.txt file in root folder? there are some reboot records there which may help to find what happened.

20191202185205.jpg

I am starting to think maybe the OBD devise provided are not strong enough to power the K2S, the random failure to start recording some times, thinking back it are much like when i had a mobius as rear camera on a too long and poor quality USB wire.
I think i will have to go the the underground garage one of these days, and switch over to regular means of powering and relocate the K2S main unit away from the B pillar and the seat airbag there.

the OBD power system output 5V 2A power so we believe it is not the reason.
what is the battery drain protecting level setting on your OBD?

I have it set to 12.2 V, but today my car battery was actually 11.4 according the the readout on my rhundo splitter.
61sKBiGJlbL._SX425_.jpg

Still the cameras and car started up fine after a night of -2 3 degrees, and the incident at the gas station was after i had been driving for a while.

I have not been using parking guard as for the past 2 nights i have had the memory card of the K2S on my computer table so the camera was off.

No format txt file on the memory card just the 2 camera folders - the GPS one, and then the link to support page, i was looking for that to add for you.

Yes have forgotten to lock cables with the adapter, it is in the car just keep forgetting to put it on. :rolleyes:

K2Snoformattext.jpg

Last edited:
we are working on re-act the problem here on my car, but it have not apprear until now.
we will keep watching for this

No format txt file on the memory card just the 2 camera folders - the GPS one, and then the link to support page, i was looking for that to add for you.

which firmware are you using?

The latest one 20190827

I cant recall is there a way to turn the debug file on or is it in the FW alone, i want to help all i can.

Yes but as you can see in the pic above i don't have the novatek folder on the memory card with the latest firmware.

Ah yes, I see kamkar. I am running 20190822v1 so I still have the Novatek folder.

Apart from the folder, do you know if there are any other differences between 20190822 and 20190827 ?

No. Sadly there are no text DOKU along with the FW explaining what have been resolved.

in the past days monitoring, we found the file lost problem happens when power not stable or power cut off or when engine starting.
If it is on engine starting, I believe that is because the battery voltage was drain by starting motor so the power supply failed to provide power to K2S.

If it is confirmed, we will be fortunate because we have changed converter IC in the dual USB car charger and OBD. the next step is update hardwire kit.
the new converter IC accept lower input voltage to make sure there will be no power down issue when starting motor working.

in the past days monitoring, we found the file lost problem happens when power not stable or power cut off or when engine starting.
If it is on engine starting, I believe that is because the battery voltage was drain by starting motor so the power supply failed to provide power to K2S.

If it is confirmed, we will be fortunate because we have changed converter IC in the dual USB car charger and OBD. the next step is update hardwire kit.
the new converter IC accept lower input voltage to make sure there will be no power down issue when starting motor working.

I am thinking to buy the K2s but I don't want these issues, when will new OBD be available? How will I know if I get new one? Can we upgrade the ones that are already available?

I know that if you use the optional battery pack for the K2S, you will be able to prevent file loss during voltage drop.

I am currently considering connecting a USB-UPS to an external adapter.
(When the alternator is generating power, two 18650s are charged quickly.
After arriving at work, it will be powered by 18650 when parking for about 8 hours. )

Drop the voltage from 14.4V to 5V of USB, charge 18650 with USB-UPS, boost 18650 to 5V again, and keep accurate voltage with K2S regulator.

I think the power conversion efficiency will decrease, but i believe that it is possible to maintain the parking mode for a long time without worrying about the car battery.

I have not yet verified this time.

New Year, let's spend with everyone smile.
A little early, but everyone should have a good new year.

I know that if you use the optional battery pack for the K2S, you will be able to prevent file loss during voltage drop.

I am currently considering connecting a USB-UPS to an external adapter.
(When the alternator is generating power, two 18650s are charged quickly.
After arriving at work, it will be powered by 18650 when parking for about 8 hours. )

Drop the voltage from 14.4V to 5V of USB, charge 18650 with USB-UPS, boost 18650 to 5V again, and keep accurate voltage with K2S regulator.

I think the power conversion efficiency will decrease, but i believe that it is possible to maintain the parking mode for a long time without worrying about the car battery.

I have not yet verified this time.

New Year, let's spend with everyone smile.
A little early, but everyone should have a good new year.

Hope those 18650’s are LiFePO4...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope those 18650’s are LiFePO4...

Today's LiIon cells are quite safe in an automotive environment as long as you use only quality cells and the proper charging technique. LiFePo4 is safer but not an absolute necessity. Much of what you find online about LiIon usage is rather out-of-date and applies mainly to the older cells which had a far higher Cobalt content. Regardless of the particular chemistry, you should not use any form of DIY Li battery technology unless you know what you're doing because mistakes can have catastrophic consequenses.

Phil

Today's LiIon cells are quite safe in an automotive environment as long as you use only quality cells and the proper charging technique. LiFePo4 is safer but not an absolute necessity. Much of what you find online about LiIon usage is rather out-of-date and applies mainly to the older cells which had a far higher Cobalt content. Regardless of the particular chemistry, you should not use any form of DIY Li battery technology unless you know what you're doing because mistakes can have catastrophic consequenses.

Phil

I’m in Southern California, where the summers get pretty hot. Plus, I can’t help but own black cars, so it gets REALLY hot.

LiFePO4 is much better with full charge to discharge, repeatedly, and I don’t have to worry about coming back to a car in flames [emoji1787].

Temps also affect voltage of batteries, so there’s plenty of times where cars can’t start even with “cutoff voltage” set.

I’d rather be on the safer side; just my 2cents [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back