Keeping a DVR207 Cool in the Sun

RSole

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My dash cam is beside my rear view mirror and will be in direct sunlight this summer. It's also the same solar heat absorptive color as the dash top (black!) and will probably get just as hot, possibly destroying it.
My fertile imagination (the ONLY fertile part of my body) is imagining how to keep it cool.

1- Reflective aluminum foil glued to the top of the cam? (cam would look permanently ugly)

2- Male Velcro glued to the top of the cam, and then fashion a sheet of heat resistant material (a piece of polished aluminum or foil covered plastic) with female Velcro glued on the bottom to intimately mate with it's other half? This would be a detachable, non-permanent sun cap.

3- Attach a small computer fan to idea number 2 and co-wire it into the cam's power wire?

I can imagine that heat will shorten the life of any cam, but am I worried for nothing? Sure, I've read of Australians and Floridians (a cult that uses Fluoride?) that had cameras that survived their climates, but still...I'm scared!

we had some 47c (117f) days here this summer and my car was parked outside during it, cam still works fine

That's reassuring. What model is yours and how long have you had it? I'm just thinking that capacitors (and most other electronic components) live much longer when kept cooler.

47 Celsius outside, so 80C inside the vehicle (parked, with A/C off), added to the heat generated by the cam itself, and you got yourself a little bbq-cam going on. It's amazing that they survive. I hope the lithium battery in them is not made by the same company as the ones on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

GPS units are similarly exposed so they would be a good indicator of survival rates in the heat...like the one that was in the car below, a Garmin unit with a lithium battery that should have stayed out of the kitchen if it couldn't take the heat:

Attachments

• gpsfire3.gif
    gpsfire3.gif
    127.7 KB · Views: 204
RSole said:
That's reassuring. What model is yours and how long have you had it? I'm just thinking that capacitors (and most other electronic components) live much longer when kept cooler.

it's a GS1000 styled model, have been using for more than 1 year

Back