Lane Splitting

DaveLC2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DOD LS360W
it makes me cringe every time I see a motorcycle split lanes. I always keep my window cracked open so I can be aware of them coming. The Harley Davidson was splitting at a resonable pace but the crotch rocket was border line.

My understanding was lane slitting in California was only legal at stop lights, not while in motion. I didn't do extensive research, just read that it was to cut down on the long lane of traffic, which makes sense if a motorcycle is out front, it's not taking up a spot for a car.

Definitely good to have a dash cam there.

I think they were ok because we were traveling at around or maybe a little under 30mph.

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/assets/docs/CHP-lane-splitting-guidelines-California.pdf

But I think the speed difference was more than 10mph.

Lane splitting is fine as long as you don't treat the gap as a complete lane magiced out of thin air. And I think those guys were viewing it as 'their' lane. That's when it gets dangerous.

P.S. I think the CHP removed that document from their site as it might encourage dangerous riding. No surprise it that has been kept on another site with their own agenda.

PPS I'm confused by them saying this: "Riders should not weave back and forth between lanes or ride on top of the line. "
Are they seriously saying you should filter by staying in the same lane as one of the vehicles you are passing? That is crazy!

Last edited:
Who says you need a motorcycle to split lanes in California? o_O

I didn't notice the blinker (or 2 blinks) from the SUV at first. Perhaps their SUV will only change lanes while the blinker is on, so when it was turned off they were just stuck. :)

Who says you need a motorcycle to split lanes in California? o_O[/MEDIA]
Well (poor driving here aside) the law doesn't. It's just as legal for a car or even a truck to lane split as a motorcycle. As in there simply isn't a law against it. (At least here in Europe.)
This is the problem with people bleating "it's legal" to justify the practice.
When it's dangerous, it's dangerous, whether or not there's an explicit law forbidding it.

Well (poor driving here aside) the law doesn't. It's just as legal for a car or even a truck to lane split as a motorcycle. As in there simply isn't a law against it. (At least here in Europe.)
When it's dangerous, it's dangerous, whether or not there's an explicit law forbidding it.
+1

We have the same situation in CA. There is no law specifying when it is legal or illegal to lane split, only guidelines from the CA Highway Patrol.

Here is the proposed change to the vehicle code. It was passed by the CA assembly this year but has not made it into law. It addresses all your concerns (as well as mine). Even so, you actually have to tell people that it is unsafe to pass between two other vehicles unless you have both wheels on the ground?? o_O

(a) A motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground may be driven between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways, if both of the following conditions are present:
(1) The motorcycle is not driven at a speed of more than 50 miles per hour.
(2) The motorcycle is not driven more than 15 miles per hour faster than the speed of traffic moving in the same direction.​
(b) This section does not authorize a motorcycle to be driven in contravention of other laws relating to the safe operation of a vehicle.

During my time in California on 2 wheels, you were expected to 'lane split' at the lights; some folks seemed to get aggravated if you didn't (and were riding solo) because you were taking space from the cars. It can be done with relative safety, and it makes a lot of sense when done correctly. Out there it was also contributed to by car drivers staying centered in their lane to allow it; here where I am now people neither try to drive centered nor would they allow for lane splitting; instead they'd close the gap just to PO the bikers because they are PO'ed that they can't get ahead by lane-splittinbg in their pickup truck. People drive like total a-hats here.

You have to remember that on a bike, all 'safety' is relative and a rider in full compliance with the law can still easily die in what would be the most minor collision in a car. You set your own level of acceptable risk within the law and ride on. For me, lane splitting allows a rider to get away from the cars where it's safer when the light changes and the speeds are higher instead of being packed within them where you can get crushed. Just makes sense to me.

Phil

Back