lens experiments ( 12 mm ) long range dashcam

That go's for any lens actually, although I don't know what dichroic filters are....tweezers, wow! One set of instructions I read, said NOT to use the quick contact glue's and only to use the white type glue. That could lead people to use the wrong glue's but I never asked a major company what kind of cement was best for the purpose.

Dichroic filters have specialized coatings applied in vacuum chambers that will pass or block specific wavelengths of light. IR-cut filters are dichroic. You can read all about dichroic filters on Wikipedia.

In the factory, filters (and lens elements) are attached with specialized optical cement which is cured with UV light. You can purchase various types of optical cement and the proper tools and applicators from places like Edmund Scientific.
Optical cement is not practical or affordable in many cases if all you want to do is safely install a single IR cut filter. I've been experimenting with hot glue carefully applied in tiny amounts to four places around a glass filter with a toothpick. I'm not quite ready to recommend this method but am putting it out here for anyone who might like to experiment. One of the appealing things about hot glue is the concept of easy removal and the fact that it is fairly inert.

One can only wonder why Danish postal are days from going bankrupt, all other postal services have managed to keep up with the changing times :rolleyes:

I know parcels from China are not possible to make money on due to China's postal status, but a 160 DKkr handling fee should mean they can make money, but off course when they only look over parcels at random and let a lot of those slide thru then off course you loose money.
Danish postal will soon get a 2 billion tax money infusion, by the look of their past 2 years bleeding money that mean they will be in business for 2-3 years more.

When i was a kid the post was delivered nationwide at least 2 times every day, by postmen walking or bicycling mostly, today some areas get post once every 5 days and i an sure they wish this to be the norm.
But off course today postmen drive E-bikes or mopeds and Vans, so offcourse they can only manage to deliver post every 5 days, only "A" mail are delivered daily.
And the price for a letter was just raised again from 8 Dkkr to 9 Dkkr ( thats a letter with a single paper in it or a post card ) local shipping on online shopping are normally 30 - 40 Dkkr for a parcel not too heavy off course.
How much is 1 DKKR in US funds? Here the US postal service uses jeep like vehicles up to vans and trucks. All the major business want everyone to go Internet to paying bills, a big mistake to public. If their is a dispute over something they have your money and most people won't go through the trouble for a few dollars, the businesses are loving it!! I pay every thing I can by check and they are constantly after me to switch, never going to happen!

I have to pay 6.33 Dkkr to get me one USD.

I always use cash, even when i was traveling and working abroad, i had my money belt with 1000 USD in it.
I do have a visa card, and i do use it a lot, but only for online shopping, its been 10 years since the last rare occasion where i used the card in a danish store ( buying gasoline )
And i cant use the visa card IRL now as i have no ides what the PIN are for it, but i prefer cash and it are often faster at the super market than the people paying with their plastic.

The mobius 1 are prefect for this as it have a little set screw holding the lens in place.

you can remove lens module, but it may not be needed, this depend some on how the lens will fit in regard to the housing, in the video below he change sensor bord and all, if you just change lens you may have to move the lens module forward as he do in the video.
But going to "longer" lenses and not wider FOV lenses it should not be a problem.

@Dashmellow I understand completely on the Mobius but if I want to keep the lens and module all together instead of inserting just a new lens I will have to get a new module and ribbon sensor cable. Do I have to get a new ribbon sensor cable and lens module from Mobius or can I buy a new module (aftermarket from M2Lenses.com) and put a sensor cable on it, will the sensor module have a place to connect the new ribbon cable?
Also the video never mentions the screw spacing distance for the lens module used on a Mobius 1, I need to know that to order one? The spacing is usually 18mm, 20mm, or 22mm but I can't find out the Mobius 1 spacing.

At those prices I can see why you are so upset with the customs in Denmark, you guys are getting robbed by Government!

That could be one of your promises when you run for a government position, I still think you should consider it!

Last edited:
@Dashmellow I understand completely on the Mobius but if I want to keep the lens and module all together instead of inserting just a new lens I will have to get a new module and ribbon sensor cable. Do I have to get a new ribbon sensor cable and lens module from Mobius or can I buy a new module (aftermarket from M2Lenses.com) and put a sensor cable on it, will the sensor module have a place to connect the new ribbon cable?
Also the video never mentions the screw spacing distance for the lens module used on a Mobius 1, I need to know that to order one? The spacing is usually 18mm, 20mm, or 22mm but I can't find out the Mobius 1 spacing.

The lens module is a proprietary Mobius product that comes with the chosen lens installed and includes the ribbon cable. You can buy them from eletoponline365 on eBay or from other listed Mobius vendors. The screw spacing on the Mobius (1) lens module barrel mount is 18mm.

I have to pay 6.33 Dkkr to get me one USD.

I always use cash, even when i was traveling and working abroad, i had my money belt with 1000 USD in it.
I do have a visa card, and i do use it a lot, but only for online shopping, its been 10 years since the last rare occasion where i used the card in a danish store ( buying gasoline )
And i cant use the visa card IRL now as i have no ides what the PIN are for it, but i prefer cash and it are often faster at the super market than the people paying with their plastic.

I use it (Visa) exactly the same way, only exceptions are Amazon, Internet shopping, nothing that is allowing any one to take out any amount every month like telephone, trash pick up, etc,. I had trouble three times of companies taking out money they had no right to, I won before going to court. Since then I switched as told above. No more problems!

The lens module is a proprietary Mobius product that comes with the chosen lens installed and includes the ribbon cable. You can buy them from eletoponline365 on eBay or from other listed Mobius vendors. The screw spacing on the Mobius (1) lens module barrel mount is 18mm.
Thanks, I had a feeling it was like you say because of the ribbon cable but just didn't know. Is there any problems installing a different FL like 12mm in the Mobius1 that you know of? Is Their any difference in the wide lens sensor ribbon cable and the 87 degree narrow sensor ribbon cable? Like same number of pins, whatever.

Last edited:
Thanks, I had a feeling it was like you say because of the ribbon cable but just didn't know. Is there any problems installing a different FL like 12mm in the Mobius1 that you know of? Is Their any difference in the wide lens sensor ribbon cable and the 87 degree narrow sensor ribbon cable? Like same number of pins, whatever.

Well no, there would be no reason you couldn't install a different focal length lens like a 12mm in the Mobius 1. Think for a moment about the 2.8 - 12mm varifocal lens I installed in one of my Mobius cams and ask yourself that same question again. :)
There is no difference in the ribbon cable between the two different focal length lenses. The ribbon cable is how the sensor module connects to the DSP but has nothing to do with the magnification of the glass lens optic installed in the module.

Well no, there would be no reason you couldn't install a different focal length lens like a 12mm in the Mobius 1. Think for a moment about the 2.8 - 12mm varifocal lens I installed in one of my Mobius cams and ask yourself that same question again. :)
There is no difference in the ribbon cable between the two different focal length lenses. The ribbon cable is how the sensor module connects to the DSP but has nothing to do with the magnification of the glass lens optic installed in the module.
Does the physical aperture in the mobius case restrict the lens choice? I notice my A lens sits inside the case slightly, with its barrel being wider than the case opening.

Here are another 50/50 video i just whipped up as i was lucky to get a 5 minute break in the rain while driving tonight.

I dont know it its me wanting to see stuff, but with the long lens its like some times i have a marshmallows chance in hell reading a plate, where as with the GC i have a snowballs chance in hell doing the same.

Does the physical aperture in the mobius case restrict the lens choice? I notice my A lens sits inside the case slightly, with its barrel being wider than the case opening.

I guess it might but as long as the lens you intend to install has a barrel with enough length and suitable back focal distance it should work. It happens that I replaced the lens barrel on my Mobius sensor base with a different one because of a damaged thread problem so it could be that the original would have been problematic but I never checked. When I get some time I'll take a look. It really depends on the particular lens I guess but longer focal length lenses probably would fit either way.

Last edited:
My lens experience is zero, but I know a bit about glues. The closest thing I've found to 'hot melt' is "Lexel" brand clear caulking. "DAP" also makes a similar product now. More 'blob' than a gel, once it sets it exhibits all the qualities of hot-melt but is somewhat more flexabile. Only slightly thinner is "Shoe Goo", also clear, and more fexabile still. The vapors from both are medium-strong, so there must be some type of solvent involved which might damage something but in non-lens use I have not seen that happen. Bonding strength may be stronger than hot-melt.

Just mentioning possibilities- you're on your own if you try either one ;) More ideal would be a water-based glue but all of those I know of set hard and would crack or de-bond under heat expansion.

Phil

My lens experience is zero, but I know a bit about glues. The closest thing I've found to 'hot melt' is "Lexel" brand clear caulking. "DAP" also makes a similar product now. More 'blob' than a gel, once it sets it exhibits all the qualities of hot-melt but is somewhat more flexabile. Only slightly thinner is "Shoe Goo", also clear, and more fexabile still. The vapors from both are medium-strong, so there must be some type of solvent involved which might damage something but in non-lens use I have not seen that happen. Bonding strength may be stronger than hot-melt.

Just mentioning possibilities- you're on your own if you try either one ;) More ideal would be a water-based glue but all of those I know of set hard and would crack or de-bond under heat expansion.

Phil

Lexel is a great product but I would think it might not be the kind of thing that you'd want to put anywhere near a dichroic filter. Vapor deposited dichroic coatings such as you find on an IR cut filter are extremely fragile and sensitive so anything that produces solvent fumes should best be avoided. Silicone caulking puts out acetic acid fumes which can be especially harmful for example. I don't know what's in Lexel but I'd be skeptical. My thinking with hot glue is that you have a brief period of working time for positioning and then you're all done without waiting for it to set or dry. And like I said, I believe hot glue to be fairly inert but I plan to do some tests first before I try it anywhere near a dichroic filter or lens surface.

Looking forward to your results ;)

Phil

I'm having too much fun with my IR lens at the moment to think about installing an IR cut filter but I have some old cheap lenses and parts around I think will do for some tests, so I'll report back. :)

Interesting looking bunch.
I think you might find the 6 mm lens to be almost usable alone, and i am looking forward to see the result of that 16 mm sucker.

Do they have IR cut filter or do you have to put those on yourself ?
OK, turns out these particular lenses do not come with IR cut filter. I ordered these (also from m12lenses.com)
PT-IRCF-002 IR Cut Filter

I had a pleasant chat today with a friendly and knowledgeable guy at SeeSense here in the UK. He's going to locate some 8mm and 12mm lenses for me :)

I got a good recording thru a car in front of me, should be a good example of how not to install your NAV unit.

But it will have to wait, i am dizzy have headache and havent been sleeping for 30 hours so i an heading for my bed.

Be careful with some of those instruction videos you see on YouTube for installing IR cut filters. One clueless guy just said to make sure to wash your hands, which is idiotic. It is best to handle dichroic filters with a special plastic tweezers and wear lint free cotton gloves when you handle them as they are nearly impossible to clean easily without damaging them. NEVER touch them with bare fingers.

This brings up a question, what should a good IR lens cost for the M12 type lens and where do you get good ones? Like I said before, the ones at M12lenses.com are under $3.00. I just have a hard time thinking $3.00 get's one a good IR filter.

Back