License plate concern: 1080p@30fps vs 1080p@60fps

SG use the best components, dont skip corners to make a few dollars more on each camera, and they have the best customer care and support of any brand i know off.
Some will use a lens thats 3 dollars cheaper to make those 3 dollars more in profit, some will use the good expensive lens, but then put it in a plastic socket that will make the focus go out when it get hot.
There is a lot of hoops they jump thru to make money, from little tricks to outright lying about what the camera is made of and can do.

Just ask a question in here in the Street Guardian subforums and lots of sellers and users of the cameras and Rick that own the company will be all over it helping you to get the best out of your camera and feel good about it

Yes on some cameras you can get a narrow FOV by using just the middle of the sensor, but i think it would be better to do it with the optics in the lens and then use the whole sensor to capture the image.

Yes it is sad the technology is not quite where it should be, there are other larger and much more light sensitive sensors on the market, but then dashcams would be like 4- 5 X larger and the prize 10 - 15 X larger too.
So those that make dashcams have to strike a balance between what is best for the footage and what price they can sell the product for.

While hit and run is on the up here in Denmark, and traffic have not reached the levels as seen in Vietnam, and i have fait in my cameras and my insurance company.
And night or day the current dashcams document 100% good all the time is that what i do with my car is not illegal, so if anything happen that my cameras dont capture well then at least i can document that i was driving like a should be, and not like the other guy lie about me being all over the road or running a red light, or what ever people will lie about to make them self look better.

So we can prove we are good drivers and done do wrong, and the stupid the other drivers do if we capture it its okay to put them in jail or take their licence avay from them.
Or if its just regular stupid traffic put it on youtube so the world can laugh at them.

This summer i captured this guy, and from what i know of Danish traffic law he should not be driving for some years and will have to take driving test again before he is allowed to drive.

Driving on bicycle path and sidewalk and passing cars on the right side.

This is BTW filmed on the camera with the 8 mm lens

Honestly, it's usually about proving the other parties are in the wrong instead of proving me is right, since my insurance company will just cover any light damage to the car without question. I've seen cases where some cars hit some smaller bikes and just ran off, leaving the victims lying on the road. I myself once while riding my motorbike (I didn't have Mobius at that time), was hit by a hit-and-run car, which had hit a pedestrian and later hit me while on the run. Most of those times, things happen too fast for me to react and call out their license plates. I'm no hero, but I just really want those f**kers punished in court.

Yeah those idiots need to be taken out, but there is only so much we can do with out cameras, and i even had to bring in TV before the police bothered to contact me, and this was like +1 month after i reported the guy to the police.
Sadly here in Denmark there is not enough police as they now is used to do what customs use to de, and now they also have to stand armed guard at Synagogue as Muslims dont like Jews.
So a lot of new cops are being rushed thru the system, and there is even talks about educating "mini cops" thats not fully cops but still good enough to stand in front of a Synagogue with a sub machine gun.

The user @thancam is from your country, i even think he sell dashcams too, but not sure what brands he have, but he should know a little about what will be working in Vietnam.

Yeah those idiots need to be taken out, but there is only so much we can do with out cameras, and i even had to bring in TV before the police bothered to contact me, and this was like +1 month after i reported the guy to the police.
Sadly here in Denmark there is not enough police as they now is used to do what customs use to de, and now they also have to stand armed guard at Synagogue as Muslims dont like Jews.
So a lot of new cops are being rushed thru the system, and there is even talks about educating "mini cops" thats not fully cops but still good enough to stand in front of a Synagogue with a sub machine gun.

The user @thancam is from your country, i even think he sell dashcams too, but not sure what brands he have, but he should know a little about what will be working in Vietnam.

Oh yes he's a dashcam retailer here. After my very first comment here in DCT, he inboxed me and turns out he's a distributor of SG. I just want to know some diversified views of the members here before deciding anything. I had in mind
SG9665GC as a front and SGZC12RC as a rear, but now with your info of the new IMX 291 coming out soon, I now need to consider between waiting or just go ahead and buy now :))

Well if you always have to wait for the next big thing you can wait forever and never buy anything.

You could also just make do with 1 camera now for the front window, that will make it a bit cheaper if you update to something new in the next 6 months.

Also i must say if you get a current top of the line camera, then its not like the new IMX 291 cameras will be a whole lot better than that camera, they will be better but its not like they will be the end solution to the low light problem.

Also depend on your own situation, maybe you can give a camera you might get soon to some one in your family or a friend.
Also what kind of money you are willing to spend on the project.
Myself i cant spend much money as i have just become retired early at the age of 50, and Danish pension and living costs here mean i cant afford many things i was able to before working hard every day.

So for me its fortunate some brands will use me as a tester, that way i only have to pay tax on the shipping prize of cameras shipped to me, and then off course the custom fee thats on all parcels.
So its not free for me to accept cameras, but still a lot cheaper if i was to buy them myself.
Good thing is now i have plenty of time to test on cameras, and only minus being i cant afford to drive my car as much as i would like to.

SG will also have new single cameras coming, but first in line of the new cameras is a dual channel camera, but there is more to come and even another dual camera with both cameras on a wire like the SGZC12RC model have its one camera.

Indeed exiting times coming :) but most time is like that if you are a positive person and have your eyes open.

The vifo A119S with IMX 291 will release soon, but unsure how well suited those will be to the heat of Vietnam, but it will be one of the first IMX291 cameras on the market.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/a119s.210/

Well if you always have to wait for the next big thing you can wait forever and never buy anything.

You could also just make do with 1 camera now for the front window, that will make it a bit cheaper if you update to something new in the next 6 months.

Also i must say if you get a current top of the line camera, then its not like the new IMX 291 cameras will be a whole lot better than that camera, they will be better but its not like they will be the end solution to the low light problem.

Also depend on your own situation, maybe you can give a camera you might get soon to some one in your family or a friend.
Also what kind of money you are willing to spend on the project.
Myself i cant spend much money as i have just become retired early at the age of 50, and Danish pension and living costs here mean i cant afford many things i was able to before working hard every day.

So for me its fortunate some brands will use me as a tester, that way i only have to pay tax on the shipping prize of cameras shipped to me, and then off course the custom fee thats on all parcels.
So its not free for me to accept cameras, but still a lot cheaper if i was to buy them myself.
Good thing is now i have plenty of time to test on cameras, and only minus being i cant afford to drive my car as much as i would like to.

SG will also have new single cameras coming, but first in line of the new cameras is a dual channel camera, but there is more to come and even another dual camera with both cameras on a wire like the SGZC12RC model have its one camera.

Indeed exiting times coming :) but most time is like that if you are a positive person and have your eyes open.

The vifo A119S with IMX 291 will release soon, but unsure how well suited those will be to the heat of Vietnam, but it will be one of the first IMX291 cameras on the market.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/a119s.210/
thanks a lot for all the info :D

You might consider getting one good cam now, then when the IMX291 models come to market, getting one of those and putting the first cam in back. And in that heat I'd say avoid battery models unless you like spending lots of time and money replacing batteries in dashcams.

Maybe it's just me but I've watched a lot of night-time vid clips and to me 30FPS captures plates noticeably better at night than 60FPS. In the daytime it seems to go the other way round but with less difference seen between the two settings. My Mobius seems to do both equally at night but with 60FPS being better in the daytime so I use 60FPS with it. Haven't checked the G1W-HC in back though so I need to do that- there might be room for improvement with it

Phil

You might consider getting one good cam now, then when the IMX291 models come to market, getting one of those and putting the first cam in back. And in that heat I'd say avoid battery models unless you like spending lots of time and money replacing batteries in dashcams.

Maybe it's just me but I've watched a lot of night-time vid clips and to me 30FPS captures plates noticeably better at night than 60FPS. In the daytime it seems to go the other way round but with less difference seen between the two settings. My Mobius seems to do both equally at night but with 60FPS being better in the daytime so I use 60FPS with it. Haven't checked the G1W-HC in back though so I need to do that- there might be room for improvement with it

Phil

I'd like a remote dashcam as the rear, i.e. I can put its screen in the front to be able to check things on the spot. The best choice I know right now is SGZC12RC I guess. So yeah maybe I will get this one now to use as a front and later as a rear. Thanks for your advice :D

Back