Locality really prefers nothing on the windshield - what to buy

Paullras

Reaction score
Country
United States
My local law enforcement officials are very motivated, so I want to avoid anything that gathers their attention.
Therefore I will need to mount my dash cam on the dashboard itself, centered between driver and passenger.
What mounts are available, and what are the best suited dashcams for this purpose.
I prefer two channel, but one is OK.

If I knew I would not be hassled, I would be purchasing the Viofo A229 +. But I do not see how this could be mounted in such a fashion.

Depending on your car you can consider mounting on the sensor housing which complies with the 'nothing on the windshield' mandates provided it doesn't interfere with driver vision. My former neighbor was a LEO (Sgt., Lt., Capt., and Chief) and saw nothing wrong with this approach.

If I knew I would not be hassled, I would be purchasing the Viofo A229 +. But I do not see how this could be mounted in such a fashion.
It will work fine on the dash, it is a dashcam!

The problem is only in finding a suitable mount, or making one, but you will find the same problem with most dashcams.

You could mount the a229 Plus on the rear window, with the rear camera on the front. They are both 2K cameras, both have HDR, the main camera has a better lens, but given your problem that is not too much of an issue. Of course the buttons and screen are then at the back, but you can get a remote lock button.

The A229 rear cameras have 360° adjustment, so the mount will happily stick to your dash and the lens can face forwards. You will probably want to mount it a bit higher than the main part of the dash, so maybe on top of a block, or maybe on top of the instrument binnacle if your car has a suitable one, my car does and I have had a dashcam mounted there, works fine. I have also used the Viofo T130 at the bottom centre of the windscreen, IIRC, the mount on that is a bit limited in its rotation, so it needs an angled mounting block or bracket, but a simple L bracket will work and the front lens is off to the side of the mount, so there is no issue with visibility unlike the A229.

Then there is the A139, which will mount flat on the dash with the buttons on top, and the lens will rotate to point forward, but again it will probably be a bit too low, so will want a mounting block to raise it up a bit. Not certain the front camera on that has a rotate option, which you would want since it would be mounted upside down, think it does, we can check if you want. You may want the Pro version of that for Starvis 2, but the standard version is still quite good.

My choice would be the A139 Pro, dashcam of the year, and it would be a neat install laying flat on the dash, if you add some sort of cable cover/trunking.

Last edited:
Some have more specific restrictions, like, if on the windshield...not in the swept area of the wipers.

Back