Mounting rear Camera on mid-engine cars- looking for help!

Triggerfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a customer that wants a rear dash camera or some type of video recording device that covers the rear of the vehicle. He has a Corvette convertible and when I looked at it, placing a camera on the rear view glass is not really a good option since A) the view is highly obstructed (but better than nothing) and the most important problem B) the window goes up and down and when down, is useless.

I have suggested some type of high quality suction mount (AKA, "Go-Pro" mount) but obviously that is not a good long term solution for daily driving (although works for spirited driving and again, better than nothing).

I'm sure I'm not the only one to face this issue- would love to see what you guys have done!

You could try something like a Viofo T130, which has both front and rear facing cameras in the windscreen mounted unit, makes installation easy and gives a neat install. Not sure if there is a good mounting place in that car where it can see out the back window when it is up, without blocking the driver's view out the front, you would need to check.

Another option, and a bit more up to date would be a Viofo A229 Plus or Pro, with the rear camera mounted maybe on the bottom of the rear view mirror. The A229 has an advantage over most dashcams in that the rear camera is 2K resolution, so has reasonable resolution out the back even when mounted at the front, and the rear camera is small enough to mount on the rear view mirror where it must have a reasonable view out the rear. You would have a problem with the excess rear view camera cable, can't hide it in the headliner on that car, but I think Viofo would supply a short cable for you if you contacted support, and I believe a standard USB-C cable would probably work OK on that camera if it was a high spec cable with all pins connected, not just a charging cable or cheap data cable.

Having the front and rear at the front, under the permanent glass, also helps solve the rain problem, since almost no dashcams are rain proof.

I have suggested some type of high quality suction mount (AKA, "Go-Pro" mount)
I assume the roof goes down at the touch of a button, needing to remove the camera before pressing the button would be terrible!
A GoPro is no good as a dashcam, you need a proper dashcam.

Back