Looking for a small form factor

DonnyD

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Chevy Bolt that does not have much windshield real estate, so need a small cam. I saw a form factor that looks fairly small: the DDPA mini pro. I think that shape could work well, but not sure how to find a similar dash cam with that shape. I would like a 4k model, but afraid I won't find one in a small form factor. I would also consider a 2 channel as long as the front camera was small enough.
Any suggestions?

Wedge shape dash cam such as Viofo A229 Pro / Plus for dual channel; or Viofo A119 Mini 2 for single channel are great choices. If you want something small and only single channel, consider the Garmin Mini 2 or Viofo WM1.

I have a Chevy Bolt that does not have much windshield real estate, so need a small cam. I saw a form factor that looks fairly small: the DDPA mini pro. I think that shape could work well, but not sure how to find a similar dash cam with that shape. I would like a 4k model, but afraid I won't find one in a small form factor. I would also consider a 2 channel as long as the front camera was small enough.
Any suggestions?
100% what @runtohell121 said. If you can't make the budget stretch then maybe the Viofo A139 Pro is also an option , providing you find one on sale at a good price

My vote would be for the Viofo Mini 2. It is a lot of camera in a small package.

If that is still too big for you then perhaps an even smaller option might be more suitable such as the Garmin Mini 2 or the Viofo WM1.

Neither of those offer the performance of the Viofo Mini 2 however but they are decent cameras that are small and more discreet. The WM1 is a 2K cam whereas the Garmin is 1080p.

garminmini2.jpg

wm1.jpg

Welcome to the forum DonnyD.

In sales material / listings many dashcams appear to be huge some times, this have often confused some people.
Generally most are adequate small, but some times a given form factor might be suited to the mounting options on a windscreen.
If it is a camera with a screen, that screens diagonal size are often listed, which can help determining the actual size of the system if that is not listed.

The Chevy bolt do look to have a smaller sensor array in front of the mirror, so you will have to mount the camera a little offset to a side to compensate for that, not a big deal though as most dashcams have a wide angle lens.
In the case of a sensor array and its housing on a windscreen, some mave managed to mount a camera on the housing itself, this do however mean that the screen and buttons will often be very downwards facing, which should not be a huge problem CUZ once set up you should not really need screen, and modern cameras you can do settings changes with the associated APP VIA wifi. ( just food for thought )

If you go for a 2 channel system, which you should consider if you are in a 1 plate in the back state, CUZ then the rear camera is all that will give you a chance of a identifying shot when a oncoming car pass by you.

Also rear cameras can be the cause for some DAB / SAT radio problems, so installing the system it is a good idea to first loosely run the wire along your planned route to see if 1 route are better than another in regard to radio signal disruption, before you go all the way and install it for real.

Personally i prefer the wedge shaped cameras as when installed it often come off as just yet another sensor on the windscreen. at least if its mounted up high and towards the middle as a dashcam should be.

For mounting you can browse this picture heavy post to get ideas that might work in your particular scenario, probably not a exact match in regard to camera model and car model, but you can get a feel from pictures.

Last edited:
DDPA mini pro
Welcome to the club Donny.
DDPAI is junk, worse than Vantrue.
Shop specifications first, form factor second.
2023 Minimum Requirements;
1.) STARVIS 2 Image Sensor
2.) HDR
Anything less, and you’ll get Linus Tech Tip image quality from 5 years ago.
Of course these are my opinions, and we all know what they’re worth, and where I can stick ‘em. Lol
-Chuck

2.) HDR
Of course these are my opinions, and we all know what they’re worth, and where I can stick ‘em. Lol
-Chuck
Never a wiser word really. Lots of people conned by the Amazon fake reviews and all that bull****.

I would second the Garmin Dashcam 2 recommendation with one caveat - be prepared to fuss and fuss with bluetooth connectivity to your phone. It's a known issue and there hasn't been any progress from Garmin (ignore the defective cameras that were replaced - that was a different issue).

2.) HDR
-Chuck
In regards to the YT video

"Small percentage of computers..."

Um... ok, so the last ~ 9yrs of computer hardware is a "small percentage"...
{facts}
Back as far as Intel 4th gen cpus have native software decode of h.265, and 6th gen hardware decode/encode.
Current gen is 13th gen, with 14th gen right around the corner.
Intel Quick Sync Video is standard in nearly all but certain sku models of Intel CPUs
-

2.png

And, having a old Dell Latitude laptop, with a 4th gen 2 core cpu, Intel HD Graphics, that is left over unit, from my local city Public Works upgrade, who donated their old computers to the repair shop i worked at, it IS playing 4K video, smooth as butter. This is the kinda old hardware that many courtrooms use today still. (using VLC of cource) Even current Windows10/11 does not support native playback of h.265 in default Windows Media Player unless u download and install/pay for the hevc plugins via the Windows store. Point is, the computer hardware supports h.265 playback fine, since many many years ago.,
----------
[Opinion]
It should be the standard used codec for anything 1440p or higher. Should be mandatory for 4K.
----

As far as this thread goes, @DonnyD looking for small form factor, nothing beats the VIOFO A119 Mini2.
It may be a tad thick, with its wedge shape, but its much smaller than their higher end models.

Last edited:
In regards to the YT video

"Small percentage of computers..."

Um... ok, so the last ~ 9yrs of computer hardware is a "small percentage"...
{facts}
Back as far as Intel 4th gen cpus have native software decode of h.265, and 6th gen hardware decode/encode.
Current gen is 13th gen, with 14th gen right around the corner.
Intel Quick Sync Video is standard in nearly all but certain sku models of Intel CPUs
-

View attachment 68343
----------
[Opinion]
It should be the standard used codec for anything 1440p or higher. Should be mandatory for 4K.
----

As far as this thread goes, @DonnyD looking for small form factor, nothing beats the VIOFO A119 Mini2.
It may be a tad thick, with its wedge shape, but its much smaller than their higher end models.
Haha I remember those days of rendering 4k video on a 6th gen Intel m3-6y30 and having to get Intel quick sync going to improve render times .

It worked with Premiere Pro but I ended up cracking the screen in my laptop because of the massive amount of heat generated rendering those 4k videos. It's my own fault LOL

Back