Looking for camera which allows me to Download Video files over Wifi

Norsak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for cameras that allow me to download video files via Wifi at the end of the day when the car is parked in range of my home Wifi signal. Does such a feature exist? If so is there a term to look for in product descriptions?

I have owned a few gadgets that have "Wifi" (SD card, GoPro)
I was always disappointed: To me Wifi means "Can connect to your existing Wifi network", i.e works as a Wifi client. Instead these gadgets often tend to act as Wifi Access points.
So you are expected to disconnect your wifi client (laptop / smartphone) from your home Wifi network, and then connect to the gadget's Wifi network. This makes sense when using a smart phone app as act as an extended GUI in the field, but is little help when trying to transfer Video files to your PC.

I suspect that I will run into similar issues with Dashcams.
So does anyone know if there are dash-cams which allow you to download your video files over Wifi?
Preferably from my Desktop PC while the car is parked and off.

The wifi in dashcams are usioally the pretty slow kind, so i would not bother with that myself when i can get 90 MB/s from the SD card in my reader.

I think there is a couple that can do it, but i will be damned if i can remember witch, proberly not ones with good IQ anyway.

Allso i assume the farraday like cage a car is will put quite a damper on wifi signals.

I certainly see the appeal in this type of functionality but it's not altogether practical, file sizes, transfer speed, how long it takes and the need for the camera to be powered for however long that needs all work against it as a practical solution based on current technology, things change so perhaps it some stage it will be more feasible

Ok,
So just to clarify, the current state of the tech is: If you want your clips on your PC. either take the camera or the SD card inside with you

Ok,
So just to clarify, the current state of the tech is: If you want your clips on your PC. either take the camera or the SD card inside with you

taking the card inside is going to be the fastest method, cameras make for poor card readers, wifi transfer speeds are even worse

I get around 12 MB/s off some of my cameras, taking the card out and putting it in my card reader give me 90 MB/s transfer speeds. ( for the cameras with class 10 U3 cards, but even class 10 U1 will still give around 50 MB/s and thats still a lot more than 12 MB/s

In day to day use where you only grab a single 3 minute ( or whatever size you use ) file, than its not really a big issue.
But if you bulk move files off the camera / SD card then a 64 Gb or maybe even 128 Gb transfer a lot faster with 90 instead of 12 MB/s

I have a fjew,,,, okay 4 small cameras in my car where i grab the whole camera if i need somthing on it ( instead of messing with micro SD card in the car )
And its far from every time i eject the card from the camera and put it in my reader, for the most i just connect via the same mini USB that power the camera in the car, and grabbing a 3 minute file that way is slow but for just one file i can wait the extra seconds.

But thats just a single 400 MB file, if i have to grab more or all of the files on a full card then it go strait into my card reader.

Back