Looking for Dashcam that's portable easy to install/uninstall between cars

Looks like all the G1Ws need lot of work, settings before it actually works? Why I am reading so many complaints about not recording,, loop recording not working, blah blah? I think I should go for a better one. I wish the Mini 0805 uses suction mount. I would have bought that already.

Read the few 1 star reviews and they are responded by BLACKBOX. Black box is the original maker?
1Piece of junk! FAKE CAMERA!
ByAlisheron January 10, 2015
Verified Purchase
I bought this camera few days ago, when it was arrived I plugged to my car windshield, and I was disappointed, the quality is not good, too much noise. Looks like fake camera! And after 5 min it stop working at all. I'll return for refund. Be careful guys! DO NOT BUY IT!

Black Box4 months ago

Sorry you had an issue or problem, I would be glad to resolve it or replace the camera for you.
I read many reviews on different sites and bought from legit sellers. There are so many complaints about G1W dashcams. A cheap model and hard to function well?

It's a bit of a crap shoot unfortunately with that model it seems.
Anything like the Mini 0805, with that price range, bit newer model & something that uses suction cup and uses
Capacitor
? thanks

Mobius + Capacitor kit seems to be popular for your budget.
(no screen, but is reliable)
Thought about that but no screen is a problem! even a small one would be ok

Thought about that but no screen is a problem! even a small one would be ok
Android app makes it easy to change settings, live view or access the files. You could also use a wireless card reader, honestly I have cameras with screens and never look at them after the initial setup and install. The Mobius as a whole is great, the whole user experience, support and quality. Having quite a few, it's still my favorite because it just works well with little effort, @Isoprop GUI makes setup a breeze and even Therau2000's Android app on the go.

Overall G1W-series are good value for money, but now it has been nearly 2 years after 1st release and unfortunately some factories started saving on hardware, - there for you read some negative feedback. It is sad that in many cases resellers dont know from which exact factory they are getting their stock. Only trusted, reliable resellers can guarantee you a piece of mind. Buy locally with local warranty, the you safe.

If you are Android user, then get Mobius. As @GJHS mentioned, you can easily watch, download, play around with setting. Mobius has one of the most advanced Android GUI Apps.

Another popular discrete capacitor based dashcam with screen is B40 / A118 as @Pier28 suggested. I know your requirements were to swap between cars, but you may buy extra windshield mount bases, - this way you can start swapping between cars. B40 / A118 is good mid-class dashcam.

If you can stretch your budget a little bit, then you may take a look towards higher-class SG9665GC which will outperform most other dashcams in this price range.

What ever dashcam you decide - buy locally from reputable reseller even if they charge you a little bit more.

Overall there is a good rule: you get what you pay, but unfortunately in many cases you get even less than you pay.

As someone recently wrote here on forum: "Buy once - cry once" !

I also like the saying: "Buy Cheap, Buy Often"
Time is money too, I spent countless hours of frustration on my first dashcam the Mini 0801 back in 2013.
Is 8-80 hours of post sales troubleshooting/research/RMA/frustration worth saving $50-$90 in the long run? (example)

Overall G1W-series are good value for money, but now it has been nearly 2 years after 1st release and unfortunately some factories started saving on hardware, - there for you read some negative feedback. It is sad that in many cases resellers dont know from which exact factory they are getting their stock. Only trusted, reliable resellers can guarantee you a piece of mind. Buy locally with local warranty, the you safe.

If you are Android user, then get Mobius. As @GJHS mentioned, you can easily watch, download, play around with setting. Mobius has one of the most advanced Android GUI Apps.

Another popular discrete capacitor based dashcam with screen is B40 / A118 as @Pier28 suggested. I know your requirements were to swap between cars, but you may buy extra windshield mount bases, - this way you can start swapping between cars. B40 / A118 is good mid-class dashcam.

If you can stretch your budget a little bit, then you may take a look towards higher-class SG9665GC which will outperform most other dashcams in this price range.

What ever dashcam you decide - buy locally from reputable reseller even if they charge you a little bit more.

Overall there is a good rule: you get what you pay, but unfortunately in many cases you get even less than you pay.

As someone recently wrote here on forum: "Buy once - cry once" !
SG9665GC is discreet? Has capacitor version? Looks bulky though it says small and doesn't use suction cup mount? Maybe not easy to install and remove?

SG9665GC is discreet? Has capacitor version? Looks bulky though it says small and doesn't use suction cup mount? Maybe not easy to install and remove?

it's very discreet, probably doesn't meet a bunch of your other requirements though

If suction mount is your priority along with other requirements, then g1w-c is what I can think of. Unless you have an android phone, then may consider a Mobius with App to view / download videos.

Looks like all the G1Ws need lot of work, settings before it actually works? Why I am reading so many complaints about not recording,, loop recording not working, blah blah? I think I should go for a better one. I wish the Mini 0805 uses suction mount. I would have bought that already.

Read the few 1 star reviews and they are responded by BLACKBOX. Black box is the original maker?
1Piece of junk! FAKE CAMERA!
ByAlisheron January 10, 2015
Verified Purchase
I bought this camera few days ago, when it was arrived I plugged to my car windshield, and I was disappointed, the quality is not good, too much noise. Looks like fake camera! And after 5 min it stop working at all. I'll return for refund. Be careful guys! DO NOT BUY IT!

Black Box4 months ago

Sorry you had an issue or problem, I would be glad to resolve it or replace the camera for you.
My first 2 dash cams were "Black Box" brand sold by Black Box and fulfilled by Amazon. The only problem I've had was the one installed in my wife's car would fail to record on hot, sunny days (85F+) when parked outdoors all day facing south directly into the sun - I consider this to be an extremely harsh environment. It was obviously a heat related issue as the camera functioned normally once it cooled down.

I've noticed that "Black Box" as a company no longer sells directly or through Amazon, just their 'brand' is available through other sellers. I don't know why that is.

I've also noticed that a lot of the negative reviews on Amazon were not for the specific camera they are posted on - meaning that the reviewer just picked a camera that looked like the one they had or was the same camera made by a different manufacturer and possible 'fake'. My point is be a bit objective and analytical when reading reviews and don't always take them at face value.

I've also noticed that a lot of the negative reviews on Amazon were not for the specific camera they are posted on - meaning that the reviewer just picked a camera that looked like the one they had or was the same camera made by a different manufacturer and possible 'fake'. My point is be a bit objective and analytical when reading reviews and don't always take them at face value.

Amazon seems to put unrelated reviews together and display them with product that might not actually be the same, I've seen evidence of this more than a few times on Amazon, I strongly suspect their primary objective is just to get you to make a purchase, whatever that takes, you really need to pay attention when processing purchases there as it's very easy to buy something which may not be your preferred version, or from the vendor you want

Is the Mini 0805 better than any of the G1W cams in terms of reliability, quality of the videos and easy to operate, records in wide angle?? I heared you guys saying it is not easy to swap between cars like those with suction cup mount.

Is the Mini 0805 better than any of the G1W cams in terms of reliability, quality of the videos and easy to operate, records in wide angle?? I heared you guys saying it is not easy to swap between cars like those with suction cup mount.
If you buy two mounts ( one fir each car ) then its easy to swap. Or you can attach mini 0805 mount by using a 3M dual lock.

Do some checking and you will see that all the Minis have issues and taking it out of the mount loosens the mount. I have the 0806 that has been running 3 months and it's OK, not great in all aspects. Unfortunately they havent made a perfect Mini yet and I'm hoping they do because there is a lot to like about that camera..

Do some checking and you will see that all the Minis have issues and taking it out of the mount loosens the mount. I have the 0806 that has been running 3 months and it's OK, not great in all aspects. Unfortunately they havent made a perfect Mini yet and I'm hoping they do because there is a lot to like about that camera..
I will keep looking for small, bit discreet, bit newer, easy to install and good and reliable dashcam. I would have preferred battery version because in the aftermath of an accident and car power failure, it could continue to record but I heared battery versions are not good during hot season and therefore I should buy a capacitor dash cam?

I use a battery cam, I just remove it when parked for long periods in the hot sun.

I will keep looking for small, bit discreet, easy to install and good and reliable capi dashcam
I use a battery cam, I just remove it when parked for long periods in the hot sun.
Won't the battery ones cause problem if you are driving out in the hot sun?
Therefore capacitor ones are much better?

Last edited:
Back