Looking for Dashcam that's portable easy to install/uninstall between cars

Maybe to protect myself from these kinda thing?http://dealspin.com/updates-teds-car-accident-government-employees-lied-police-report/ On a serious note, Iam having hard time choosing one, G1W-CB, Mobius or Mini 0805? I am leaning more towards towards the Mini.
They are all made in China? I looked at seller sites and they all say shipped from China, just want to make sure I don't receive a fake or used ones .

all the models you've mentioned are made in China, most cameras are made in China, even some of the ones that claim to be made elsewhere

@OP dashcam requirement: adjustable in different directions ( up / down / left / right ). There for 0805 does not suit !

?

Last edited:
The GW1C or the Mini 0805 will stop recording just 2 secs after car engine is turned off? My Camry won't charge my phone if I turn it off. May not be a good option in the event of a bad wreck?

I think one of these will work out well for you.

Really portable, to move it from one vehicle to the next, you just make a trail of breadcrumbs it can follow.

Car-Camera-Yellow-Duck-Car-DVR-Motion-Dectection-Car-BlackBox-Night-Vision-Dash-Cam-G-sensor.jpg

If the border you are crossing is into Canada, just tell them you are giving a tired Canada goose a lift home, they'll just wave you through.

If the cops hassle you, just warn them you have an attack duck, and they'll back off.

(Once they stopped laughing, cuffed you, and beat you up, and thrown you in the back of the cop car, you'll probably be out of view of any dashcam you may mount, anyway)

:)

I suggest you buy one of the cheaper, easy to use dashcams, and just start using one. You'll have a better idea of what they can, and can't do, and what you need, then.
The suction cup mount type, using a standard 'tripod' thread is the way to go. You can find many cheap suction cup, and other mounts that use this thread on Amazon, and other places.

(I feel totally stupid admitting this, but I want one of those duckcams, saw them on Amazon months ago....) :)

The number of times members keep recommending or mentioning that stupid duck cam is getting a bit old already. It wasn't really all that funny the first time. ;) I have no doubt that the people asking for help and advice buying a dash cam probably don't find it too funny either. :(

Sorry, this is just my honest reaction to seeing this yet again.

Last edited:
I think one of these will work out well for you.

Really portable, to move it from one vehicle to the next, you just make a trail of breadcrumbs it can follow.

Car-Camera-Yellow-Duck-Car-DVR-Motion-Dectection-Car-BlackBox-Night-Vision-Dash-Cam-G-sensor.jpg

If the border you are crossing is into Canada, just tell them you are giving a tired Canada goose a lift home, they'll just wave you through.

If the cops hassle you, just warn them you have an attack duck, and they'll back off.

(Once they stopped laughing, cuffed you, and beat you up, and thrown you in the back of the cop car, you'll probably be out of view of any dashcam you may mount, anyway)

I suggest you buy one of the cheaper, easy to use dashcams, and just start using one. You'll have a better idea of what they can, and can't do, and what you need, then.
The suction cup mount type, using a standard 'tripod' thread is the way to go. You can find many cheap suction cup, and other mounts that use this thread on Amazon, and other places.

(I feel totally stupid admitting this, but I want one of those duckcams, saw them on Amazon months ago....) :)

Here are more photos I took of that silly product when I was in China a few weeks ago.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-the-sg9665gc-listed.9473/page-54#post-140639

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess the duckcam pics were taken somewhere in the Guangdong province, so I can't call them PEEKing ducks?
The number of times members keep recommending or mentioning that stupid duck cam is getting a bit old already. It wasn't really all that funny the first time. ;) I have no doubt that the people asking for help and advice buying a dash cam probably don't find it too funny either. :(

Sorry, this is just my honest reaction to seeing this yet again.

He more or less announced he wanted a dashcam to use in illegal activity, or admitted he is fairly clueless about the legal uses of dashcam. Better he is sidetracked by a stupid duck joke, than to show up on youtube with a collection of cop baiting videos. That's my honest reaction.

He more or less announced he wanted a dashcam to use in illegal activity, or admitted he is fairly clueless about the legal uses of dashcam. Better he is sidetracked by a stupid duck joke, than to show up on youtube with a collection of cop baiting videos. That's my honest reaction.

Hey man, if you say so.

Maybe to protect myself from these kinda thing?http://dealspin.com/updates-teds-car-accident-government-employees-lied-police-report/ On a serious note, Iam having hard time choosing one, G1W-CB, Mobius or Mini 0805? I am leaning more towards towards the Mini.
They are all made in China? I looked at seller sites and they all say shipped from China, just want to make sure I don't receive a fake or used ones .

If you fancying Mini 0805, overall its OK dashcam. Of course it has its own pros / cons and I am not sure in which part of US you will be using it, - what is the weather like there (hot, cold ? ). If its hot, then you need to look for capacitor based dascham, or removing dashcam every time you leave car. Battery based dashcams have higher risk of battery get swelled when left in car.

If you fancying Mini 0805, overall its OK dashcam. Of course it has its own pros / cons and I am not sure in which part of US you will be using it, - what is the weather like there (hot, cold ? ). If its hot, then you need to look for capacitor based dascham, or removing dashcam every time you leave car. Battery based dashcams have higher risk of battery get swelled when left in car.
Thanks for your advice. I think I will just go for the GW1-CB than. Everything has pros and cons and I just need to select anyone that has bit more pros

Thanks for your advice. I think I will just go for the GW1-CB than. Everything has pros and cons and I just need to select anyone that has bit more pros

You mean G1W-CB ? ;)
It's a good value for money 1st buy / start-up dashcamera. Just make sure you buy from trusted, reliable seller. There are many fakes out there.

Last edited:
I searched and found only one seller by the name of S MART Gizmos on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00P8F3LD0.
They also have Mini 0805, but it doesn't have suction mount and therefore is not easy to swap between cars. But it is newer model and I also think it is bit better than the G1Ws. Another reviewer said it is designed for European cars that are driven on right side. Don't know what that means

I searched and found only one seller by the name of S MART Gizmos on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00P8F3LD0. Is this the latest ?https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SX88JIQ I think this one uses battery though. Don't see it in the seller lists on Dashcamtalk.com
For peace of mind you can buy direct from SpyTec () who is a reputable stateside seller and member of this site. They don't appear to have G1W-CB but do have the G1W-C. A little judicious application of black tape/paint/etc. could easily take care of the shiny parts.

Wonder if G1W-CB is not officially released? It is only available on Amazon and from one seller only. I also found G1W-X , it says it is the NEWEST of all the G1W series but it is not all black , maybe better quality and more features?

The GW1C or the Mini 0805 will stop recording just 2 secs after car engine is turned off?

Yes, that's how the capacitor based cams operate but only when they are powered by a circuit which goes dead with the ignition off. Most cigarette lighter sockets remain on even with the car off and that's where most folks power their dash cams from. You may want to unplug when not driving to save files, that's how I do things right now and I can leave the cam running when parked if I want to. High heat can be an issue for battery models so the capacitor versions are popular in hot climates. This is one of the many different considerations I spoke of and you can choose what's best for you.

For peace of mind you can buy direct from SpyTec () who is a reputable stateside seller and member of this site. They don't appear to have G1W-CB but do have the G1W-C. A little judicious application of black tape/paint/etc. could easily take care of the shiny parts.

As per my conversation with SpyTec about a week ago, it will be half a week or a little more before they expect another shipment of the G1Wc but the battery versions are in stock. They don't have the G1Wc/B (black bezel) yet. Just cover the chrome and white LED with a sharpie pen if you need to- many people do that. All the G1W's come with a suction-cup mount.

Phil

Good advice. I'd pick a reliable known good vender/seller and settle for the C, over risking an unknown to get the CB

Looks like all the G1Ws need lot of work, settings before it actually works? Why I am reading so many complaints about not recording,, loop recording not working, blah blah? I think I should go for a better one. I wish the Mini 0805 uses suction mount. I would have bought that already.

Read the few 1 star reviews and they are responded by BLACKBOX. Black box is the original maker?
1Piece of junk! FAKE CAMERA!
ByAlisheron January 10, 2015
Verified Purchase
I bought this camera few days ago, when it was arrived I plugged to my car windshield, and I was disappointed, the quality is not good, too much noise. Looks like fake camera! And after 5 min it stop working at all. I'll return for refund. Be careful guys! DO NOT BUY IT!

Black Box4 months ago

Sorry you had an issue or problem, I would be glad to resolve it or replace the camera for you.

All the more reason to buy local from a good seller that will give you RMA support / warranty service if needed.

Back