Looking for my first dash cam?

Number41

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll try to answer any questions before they are asked but I'm sure I might miss some.

Looking for a front/rear dash cam for a jeep wrangler.
I imagine I would want 2k or 4k for the front rather than 1080p. I imagine most of the rear cameras are 1080p so that's OK.
I want an easy to use app so if a clip needs to be viewed or sent to someone (text or email?) out on the side of a road, it's not impossible.
Parking mode. This one might be confusing. I wouldn't mind having it but my Jeep sits in my garage for 2/3/4 days so I wouldn't need it during those periods. But I guess it would be OK to have when I do venture out and park. So, I don't really need it 90% of the time. But I'm guessing it's an all or nothing type feature.
Hoping to spend $300 or less U.S.
The rear mounting is a bit of an issue because I do remove the top occasionally. BUt I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker if I had to remove the camera when the top comes off.
Any specific suggestions?

Thanks.

Have a look at our Blueskysea B4K dash camera? 4k front and 1080p rear cam.

Have a look at our Blueskysea B4K dash camera? 4k front and 1080p rear cam.
Hi, I just bought one from Amazon. I thought you said it uses super capacitors, but why does my unit say there are batteries? And it came with the lithium ion shipping warning on the shipping box?

Hi, I just bought one from Amazon. I thought you said it uses super capacitors, but why does my unit say there are batteries? And it came with the lithium ion shipping warning on the shipping box?
There is just a tiny clock/GPS backup battery in the B4K, nothing to worry about!

Thanks Nigel. Are you affiliated with Blueskysea? I've been having some problems with my camera. The video is a bit blurry. It doesn't look anything like everyone else's videos. You cannot read any of the road signs because it's so blurry. It's set to record on 4k. In fact my rear camera seems to be recording a better image at 1080p than my front.

Thanks Nigel. Are you affiliated with Blueskysea? I've been having some problems with my camera. The video is a bit blurry. It doesn't look anything like everyone else's videos. You cannot read any of the road signs because it's so blurry. It's set to record on 4k. In fact my rear camera seems to be recording a better image at 1080p than my front.
Have you removed the lens protection film?

Blueskysea lenses are normally very good. Can you post an image or a video clip on YouTube or Google drive so that we can see the problem?

No, not really affiliated with them, but I have done some testing of pre-release dashcams for them, including the B4K. It definitely doesn’t have a lipo battery to worry about. I’m not sure why the shipping information is worded as it is, possibly because of the clock backup battery, but all supercapacitor dashcams have those, supercapacitors are not good for clock backup.

Yeah, I removed the protective film, tried adjusting the camera angle, put in a different sd card, and wiped the lense down with a soft microfiber and it's still kinda blurry.

I'm at work right now so I'll upload and link a clip later tonight.

Have you removed the lens protection film?

Blueskysea lenses are normally very good. Can you post an image or a video clip on YouTube or Google drive so that we can see the problem?

No, not really affiliated with them, but I have done some testing of pre-release dashcams for them, including the B4K. It definitely doesn’t have a lipo battery to worry about. I’m not sure why the shipping information is worded as it is, possibly because of the clock backup battery, but all supercapacitor dashcams have those, supercapacitors are not good for clock backup.
Ok, I uploaded the video to Youtube:

If you look at the road signs, you will see that you can barely read them. My images aren't nearly as crisp as some other uploaded videos. I am running a rear cam and I thought it records in 4k but at 24 fps, but when I look on the screen, I think it's recording in 2k? I tried to see if I can switch to 4k but it doesn't have a 4k option in the resolution menu. But even then, I had an older 2k camera and it's videos were still pretty clear and you can read the road signs.

The B4K 2-channel configuration can record in 4K front or 2K front depending on the selected resolution in the firmware settings. My B4K is recording 4K 24 fps front and 1080p 24 fps rear.

I did have one B4K front unit with a fuzzy focus on one side of the view range. The second unit I have has decent clarity across the entire view range.

For Youtube video, that is pretty good!

A lot of it does have a problem with the amount of contrast, but that is due to the position of the sun and lack of any cloud.

There is a problem reading the plate on the Tesla in front, but I think that is because it doesn't have a license plate!

If you are comparing this video to videos from Europe, the writing on their plates is twice the size, and UK plates have writing 3x the size, much easier to read.

Road signs and plates seem to be reasonably sharp when they are properly visible with reasonable lighting, at the start of the video I think the contrast is beyond what the image sensor can cope with, it is one of the cheaper 4K sensors and while very good, it does have limits.

I do think the camera is working correctly.

There does seem to be a general blurriness to the background, which I suspect is from not enough bitrate, partly due to Youtube compression, but the B4K doesn't have particularly high bitrate to start with, it is a decent bitrate for 2K, but on the low side for very detailed 4K. It is a dashcam at the cheaper end of the range for 4K resolution and very good for the price, but it does have a lot less bitrate and a cheaper sensor than a Viofo A129 Pro. If you want to make movies then get the Viofo, if you just want a decent dashcam then the B4K does a reasonable job when you give it reasonable conditions, it will struggle in difficult conditions.

Finally, I do wonder if you have some sort of film on the glass, I noticed that the view of your face mask is rather sharper than the outside view, even though we can't see it directly, although that may be due to insufficient bitrate on the Youtube video, the mask isn't moving so would get a clearer image.

If you look at the road signs, you will see that you can barely read them. My images aren't nearly as crisp as some other uploaded videos. I am running a rear cam and I thought it records in 4k but at 24 fps, but when I look on the screen, I think it's recording in 2k? I tried to see if I can switch to 4k but it doesn't have a 4k option in the resolution menu. But even then, I had an older 2k camera and it's videos were still pretty clear and you can read the road signs.
I am here, and please tag me for help if any questions to use it!
Best to clean your windshield and to get an extra CPL for the front camera. It will help to reduce reflection from the windshield!

For me it looks like there is a focus issue with the camera. The reflections on the windshield are quite sharp and distinct as is the edge of the hood (bonnet) near the windshield. The more distant objects are definitely out of focus.

Last edited:
My case in point is right around the 1:19 mark, there is a street sign above my car. At the distance you pause it at 1:19, you should be able to read the sign, but you can't really make out the lettering.

I had an old dash cam. I think it was called yi dashcam. And I don't think it recorded in 4k, but things like that road sign are very clearly visible. I don't have any video editing software or I'd make a side by side comparison video. Maybe I could take a screenshot and show you what I mean?

Can you upload raw footage to google drive and share me the download link?

My case in point is right around the 1:19 mark, there is a street sign above my car. At the distance you pause it at 1:19, you should be able to read the sign, but you can't really make out the lettering.
It says "Valencia".

At 2:00 there are signs on the right and on the far top left, both of which have smaller writing that is perfectly clear. What is the difference between these two situations?

I suspect that is that there is some grease or wax polish on the glass or lens in some parts of the image, although that is not the whole explanation. Use detergent to clean the glass, then do not use a polish, only water/vinegar based glass cleaner.

Your camera is rather out of focus. I would recommend exchanging it.

Hi all, sorry I've been very busy lately. I'm waiting for my videos to finish uploading to google drive. In the meantime, I've taken a screenshot of my old camera (the Yi dashcam) and my current one (the B4k) and I think it's pretty apparent in the lack of clarity in the B4k. I also paused the video at a point where you can clearly make out the same signage. These two videos were shot on two different days so the cars are different. I'm going to put my old camera back up next to the B4k tomorrow and shoot a true side by side.

In the screenshot, you can see that I have to be much closer to the sign to be able to read it than I would've needed to be with the Yi dashcam.

Attachments

• B4k and Yi side by side.jpg
    B4k and Yi side by side.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 10
Ok, it took longer to upload into Google Drive than I had anticipated but here's the raw files:

Front Camera
Rear Camera

I put the rear camera view up here too so you can compare them together. The rear view at 1080p looks better than the front at 4k.

Hi all, sorry I've been very busy lately. I'm waiting for my videos to finish uploading to google drive. In the meantime, I've taken a screenshot of my old camera (the Yi dashcam) and my current one (the B4k) and I think it's pretty apparent in the lack of clarity in the B4k. I also paused the video at a point where you can clearly make out the same signage. These two videos were shot on two different days so the cars are different. I'm going to put my old camera back up next to the B4k tomorrow and shoot a true side by side.

In the screenshot, you can see that I have to be much closer to the sign to be able to read it than I would've needed to be with the Yi dashcam.

The camera is definitely out of focus. This is a manufacturer defect. No need to keep fussing with it, get a refund or exchange before the return period is up.

The camera is definitely out of focus. This is a manufacturer defect. No need to keep fussing with it, get a refund or exchange before the return period is up.
Thanks, yeah. After I uploaded the files, estore009 has agreed to replace my camera for me.

Back