Looking for options on 360 (full coverage) parking mode.

Nervosa

Reaction score
Country
United States
I been useing a mini 0801 for some years now and looking for something newer.

Id like to have a parking mode and beable to get side coverage (had someone drive a shopping cart in to the side and got som scratches) .
I was thinking of getting a dual cam (a129 duo) and mounting the back camera beside the front (so its facing the back window rather then being on it).

I saw theres a IR version marketed for rideshare people. To anyone that has this:
Are the IR lights this has visable?
Does the IR auto switch (depending on light or time)?
With it on can se see outside if its dark around you or is it only helpfull for inside the auto?

Is there any other options or ideas to get a 360 video. Doesnt have to be a dash cam could also be something I just sit on my dash when away.

There are no ready to go 4 channel systems, so us that have 360 coverage have used 2 systems, my personal side system is the K2S as it have really small camera units that are remote, they are placed on the fixed glass on my rear doors. only downside to that system for side use is that the lenses could have been winder angle and that would have been better.

Half way thru this upload i am rambling / showing off the install of the K2S side system i use as side cameras.

With front rear, and possible side cameras, you will probably get a good ID shot on the approach, like these cops pulleng me over sone years ago,,,,, no doubt who that was if there had been a issue, which there wasent aside for the child baseball bat in my car, which is not replaced with a burly viking man sized piece of firewood which i am allowed to have in my car.

The uber cameras with a cabin camera, the ones i have tested have all used 940 nm IR light for the cabin illumination, and you cant see that VS the 850 Nm you can see a faint red glow on.
Auto switching can be automatic or manual, i have always used automatic.
Some cameras dont go all the way, meaning they do not have a active IR cut filter, so daytime footage can be a little off in colors,,,, i dont feel this is a huge problem, but of course a proper ir filter would be preferred.
Last cameras tested viofo A139 and T130,,,, i prefer the A139 as its cabin camera are on a wire VS model that have the cabin camera as part of the main unit with the front camera too.

I would not bet on being able to capture anything outside with the cabin camera, but some times it surprise, like when i tested the B2W and it did a plate capture on the car behind me at night.
There are no reach of the IR outside, if the camera light was that strong it would be very bad for your eyes sitting so close to it, on the other hand if the camera are right next to glass, then the ir light would probably just reflect off it and so blind itself.
In the daytime there is a good chance the view thru the windows are overexposed.
B2W footage, just fine camera, i personally do not favor its 2 in 1 format, it make stealthy install harder.
Accident filmed om B2W front camera.
A 139 footage + a bleep from the cabin camera where off colors can be seen, the jacket i am waring are dark brown

As a American, probably living in a 1 plate state, you want a rear camera, as thats your only chance of a plate capture on a oncoming car.
Mind you, the US plates are a challenge VS the large EU plates, yours are smaller with smaller lettering + other stupid graphics are legal on the plates hampering plate capture even more.

Last edited:
Using two systems didnt cross my mind, thats a grate idea.
This K2S you use, does it go by a different name or could you link me a review? Cant seem to find anything under the comparison tool or articles here.

It is actually made by the same company that do the mini cameras, it is also sold under a few other names i think camdii and Conkim is some of them as i recall, there is a PRO version where both sensors are the IMX 291, thats what i would go for.
Just search ( what ever search engine ) with K2S + dashcam, that should bring up some results.

My thread on the K2S,,,,, some people have problems with it, and sure on mine there also is a noise on the audio, but audio dont bother me much.

The whole of the K2S sub forum. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/k2s.287/

The user named Raynam Chan are from the company making the K2S system https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/members/rayman-chan.3266/ been a while though since i have seen him around.

There are also a few other systems with 2 remote cameras like the K2S, but these then have larger camera units, about 2 X of the K2S cameras.
In my case i cam do whatever, rarely anyone on my rear seat, and sure as hell no children that might have problems keeping their little fingers off things.

There are no maker that have made a dedicated side system, so people wanting that have tb be creative, like in my chat about the install you hear / see i have had 2 single cameras in use before, one mounted off headliner and the other off the backside of the B pillar plastic trim.
So you have to get a little creative here, not least if your car dont have any fixed glass as you of course can not install it on glass that can move.

IMO the best for a maker to pull off a true side camera system will probably mean mounting off the door trim on the top, but thats also a problem as here the trim are often curved, so hard to stick anything to.

There is a Korean brand that make or have made a side camera system like tesla where the camera are on the outside in front of the door gap on the front fender and then filming out back down the side of the car, but this system are only 720p so cant be recommended as things should be 1080p at least.
Also the brand you will probably have a hard time getting any support or service from.

The downside of using 2 different systems like in my 360 video where the front & rear are from my Street Guardian SG9663DC camera, is that their boot time are not the same so the 2 systems are not in sync, but really that matter little, and you can just put a bit more effort into the post production then the 2 systems can be synced up just fine.

In all my years of dashcam use, most clowns in traffic get captured on the front camera, Americans should also have a rear camera due to the 1 plate issue, the side cameras it is only for B - roll footage i go for them, and that only happened a couple of times in the 7 years or so i have used some kind of side cameras.

If you do Uber or things like that, then a cabin camera are a must, and also it having IR aid for night time.
You could circumvent that problem by keeping the cabin light on manual, so you can have it on longer and so get a good capture of any guests in the car, that will have the + of being in glorious color too, which could be nice.

Last edited:
I have a Viofo A129 Pro Duo for the front and the rear. I'm going to try mounting a Viofo MT1 on my side mirrors:

I plan on facing them away from my car, but I may just point them down the side of my car depending on camera coverage. I did find a four-channel system on Amazon by a company called JOINLGO that looked pretty interesting.

child baseball bat in my car

If you had a regular sized baseball bat and mitt in your car would there have been an issue?

There are some 4 channel systems, mostly for commercial use, these can still be problematic as image quality might be low, i once ran a 4 channel system with 700 TVL cameras, the + in that was the front camera was a box style camera with 20 X optical zoom.
It was of course soon replaced by my first proper 1080p dashcam

The bat was a toy one though ALU, but you be hard pressed to send a fly off course with it, and the 2 cops also gave it back to me, it was probably 2 feet long MAX, and no mitt accompanied it,,,,, was a joke gift from my friend.
My new piece of firewood, that is stout though, but really i am in danger of ending up as a person bringing a knife to a gunfight, cuz the criminals here, they do pack guns, and use them once - twice a week frighting over the lucrative drug market here, CUZ Danes do love to get hiiiiigh, hence why we always rank so high on the happy nation charts. :LOL:
Baseball are pretty much not a thing at all here in Denmark, but we have fostered a famous football kicker, and also have a few guys playing in the NHL, i think this little POS country are still in the group A when it come to ice hockey,,,,,, which i find kind of a wonder, CUZ Denmark have no history in winter sports like the other Nordic countries like Sweden - Norway and Finland.

There are some 4 channel systems, mostly for commercial use, these can still be problematic as image quality might be low
The JOINLGo are 1080P. It’s not 4k, but I don’t think 4K is needed to catch door dingers in parking lots, which is my use case and seems like the use case @Nervosa had in mind. My only reluctance with it is no one having experience with it on the forums. I should probably just pony up the money and test it out some time, lol.

Due to my vehicle, I don't think I'd be able to run side cams without...
1. Have hanging wires and not being able to roll down the back door windows.
2. 3d printing some kind of bracket that would attach on the b puller and allow the cam to float in front of the back door windows.

So I thought about a 3 channel system and see how feel about the having the inside cam catch side action.

I focused on the azdome m550.
After some reading I found out the parking mode only uses the front camera.
Is this normal across most cameras or are there ones where parking mode records all cameras?

Can't speak about it's reliability, but the Canadian Representative @RickyC recently joined here. This is more of a commercial product but would fit your bill. Supports up to 5 Channels. Main Unit + up to 4 additional cameras.

Can't speak about it's reliability, but the Canadian Representative @RickyC recently joined here. This is more of a commercial product but would fit your bill. Supports up to 5 Channels. Main Unit + up to 4 additional cameras.
That does look intresting but it says the other channels are 720 and 480.

Thanks to @estore009 I ended up going with the Blueseasky B4K. Later on I'll probably get two B1W to use as side cameras.

That does look intresting but it says the other channels are 720 and 480.

Thanks to @estore009 I ended up going with the Blueseasky B4K. Later on I'll probably get two B1W to use as side cameras.

Honestly, their description is vague. Don't know what they mean by main stream and sub stream.

So whether its 1080p Front + 4 x 720p or 720p front + 4x 480p rear. That'd be a manufacturer question for sure.

• Main Stream
    CH1:1080P/720P
    CH2~CH5:720P
  • Sub-Stream
    CH1:720P/480P
    CH2~CH5:480P
  • Video Compression H.264/H.265
  • Frame Rate25FPS

Honestly, their description is vague. Don't know what they mean by main stream and sub stream.

So whether its 1080p Front + 4 x 720p or 720p front + 4x 480p rear. That'd be a manufacturer question for sure.

• Main Stream
    CH1:1080P/720P
    CH2~CH5:720P
  • Sub-Stream
    CH1:720P/480P
    CH2~CH5:480P
  • Video Compression H.264/H.265
  • Frame Rate25FPS
Sorry ,guys, just come back from holidays.

Main stream and sub stream are terms we use in security video industry.
Each IP camera or each channel of a DVR/NVR usually have multiple streaming for you to connect to for remote viewing.
Some latest models even support multiple main streams and multiple sub stream with different codecs, like 2 main streams and 6 sub streams with MJPEG, H264, H265 codec for different applications
if you connect to a G4 dashcam via a LTE connection, you can connect to either HD main streams for clear images, or low resolution sub stream to save bandwidth due to slow network speed.
All recordings will be at main stream resolutions- 1x1080P and 4x 720P.
Sub stream will be only used for remote viewing.

Ricky

Back