Magnet mounts: Harmful to Electronics?

JimSar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DDpai 2P, Blueskysea B1W, Coxpal A9D, Viofo A129 Pro Duo
I've seen DIY mounts held by magnets. Just curious, will a magnet harm the cam electronics and/or storage card in the long run? Especially very, very strong neodymium magnets?

Just curious...

It shouldn't really be a problem. For example, if you are familar with the iPad or Apple's laptop offerings, both have magnets. The iPad has neodymium magnets on two sides to accomodate their "smart cover" with automatic sleep/wake and the laptops have neodymium "Magsafe" power cord connectors. The magnets don't seem to affect any of the computer electronics or components including nearby hard drives. People here on DCT have been using DIY magnetic mounts on their cameras with no reports of any problems that I am aware of.

Last edited:
I've seen DIY mounts held by magnets. Just curious, will a magnet harm the cam electronics and/or storage card in the long run? Especially very, very strong neodymium magnets?

Just curious...
No, not for a fixed (non moving) magnet, unless there are moving steel parts which may be attracted to the magnet, dashcams don't tend to have moving parts.

Not even magnetic hard drives are affected by any normal "very strong neodymium magnet"!

I have a neodymium magnet that came with a plastic "belt" around it. A good thing too! If I ever let it attach to something on its flat section, it's not coming off without the help of a chisel.

I have a neodymium magnet that came with a plastic "belt" around it. A good thing too! If I ever let it attach to something on its flat section, it's not coming off without the help of a chisel.
A chisel is no help! I have a magnet that will lift 64Kg, if you let it grab a chisel then you wont get the chisel back without a serious fight!

Wow 800 pounds - you've got me wondering now if that would have lifted the ex-mrs - it could be a close call!

How come that coin is just sitting there? All the shiny pennies are magnetic these days!

Even most of the 5p coins are magnetic these days.

How come that coin is just sitting there? All the shiny pennies are magnetic these days!

Even most of the 5p coins are magnetic these days.

The answer is quite simple. The company sells a wide range of magnets in different sizes and shapes, most of them much smaller than the one I've posted here. Virtually all of their magnet photos include a US penny for scale, even this one with a human hand in the image. US Pennies are not magnetically attractive.

Last edited:
Pennies are not magnetically attractive.
Ours are, but it seems that you make them out of zinc instead of steel like us, that must make yours expensive even though they are worth less than ours!

I wonder if they ever get delivered or if there's heaps of these things stuck to the floors of delivery vans all over the country
And how often does the delivery van driver unexpectedly get his feet clamped to the floor under the box - that would make a good video!

Ours are, but it seems that you make them out of zinc instead of steel like us, that must make yours expensive even though they are worth less than ours!

You're quite right; the pennies are expensive. Our government wants to stop making them because they cost more than a penny to make and with inflation it's hardly worth it but there is just too much sentimental attachment to the penny so they can't stop producing them. They are from heaven, after all. They were made out of steel here for a few years during WWII.

Last edited:
I wonder if they ever get delivered or if there's heaps of these things stuck to the floors of delivery vans all over the country

Hah! I wonder how this company gets half the stuff they sell delivered at all! I'll bet some of you guys may find this company's web site to be an interesting browse. Click the photo. ;)

nerd.gif

Wow 800 pounds - you've got me wondering now if that would have lifted the ex-mrs - it could be a close call!

OK, Reverend, I understand maybe she was big, but was she magnetic?

Edit: Okay, Okay, now that I think about it, she must have had a magnetic personality. Why else would you have married her?

Magnetic putty! They have magnetic putty! Oh my inner child is happy

The magnet that I'm using for rear facing A118 mount injured a finger a few years back. I held it too close to a steel tool cabinet and squeezed skin in between causing hematoma. This is strong $hit.

The magnet that I'm using for rear facing A118 mount injured a finger a few years back. I held it too close to a steel tool cabinet and squeezed skin in between causing hematoma. This is strong $hit.

No kidding! As you may have read on the United Nuclear website I linked it says, "Our magnets can easily bruise fingers and the larger ones can break finger bones and even crush hands as they attempt to connect together."

Back