safedrivesolutions

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro+A139 pro, Vueroid D21 4K, Thinkware U3000,
I have recieved a Mangoal dash camera for my VW ID4
It claims to be a 4K dash camera but uses an IMX335 image sensor. Which means it is a 2K dash camera.

This is a dash camera that is suppose to be easy to install yourself and replace the housing behind your rear view mirror.

IMG_1869 Large.jpeg
IMG_1870 Large.jpeg
IMG_1871 Large.jpeg

IMG_1872 Large.jpeg
IMG_1873 Large.jpegIMG_1874 Large.jpeg

IMG_1875 Large.jpeg

IMG_1876 Large.jpegIMG_1877 Large.jpegIMG_1878 Large.jpeg

So we attempted to install it in my VW ID4. Guess what it did not fit. But it had some tabs on it. So i trimmed those tabs off which you will see in the video. SO now it fits in place but the tabs will not click into place.

This is suppose to be a do it yourself dash camera that so far is not making out to be a good do it yourself solution. I think the housing is for a different market and not north america. But I am waiting to hear back from Mangoal on why it does not fit.
Here is a video showing you

This is suppose to be a do it yourself dash camera that so far is not making out to be a good do it yourself solution.
Some DIY people have a hacksaw, but not a heat-gun suitable for adjusting those tabs! Most people don't even have the hacksaw.

Maybe better to stick with the 3M Sticky pads!

This is suppose to be a do it yourself dash camera that so far is not making out to be a good do it yourself solution.

Sounds like this company didn't think this through.

Skilled DIYers are a select bunch, and even they (we) can run into some challenges, while the average person can't even figure out how to assemble a bookcase from IKEA. :p

Heck, I once had a car mechanic who could strip the threads on a Jack Daniels bottle. :smuggrin:

Sounds like this company didn't think this through.

Skilled DIYers are a select bunch, and even they can run into some challenges, while the average person can't even figure out how to assemble a bookcase from IKEA. :p

Heck, I once had a car mechanic who could strip the threads on a Jack Daniels bottle. :smuggrin:
I can modify it and make it work. :D . It just I know when you sell a customer an OBD2 cable for installation its because they want to plug it in, and for it to work. Hence a Do It Yourself solution. So far I have modified it with basic tools. But now more modifications are needed. If you ever installed an aftermarket radio before this is kind of like that with cutting off tabs and modifying here and there. The difference is when isntalling an aftermarket car radio there is intructions of what tabs to cut and where to modify.

A product like this not only needs to come with adequate instructions but it needs to be idiot proof.

I think they are likely to invite a lots of product returned in frustration and poor sales in the long run.

A product like this not only needs to come with adequate instructions but it needs to be idiot proof.

I think they are likely to invite a lots of product returned in frustration and poor sales in the long run.
I actually just think this is for another country and not for north american market. I think there housing needs some modifications for this market.

Not exactly a good marketing strategy. (or design approach)
i emailed them 3 days ago and again today with no response. Which is weird because they responded quite quickly before. Maybe my contact is on vacation. I get tired of being asked to compare fitcamx and this type of cameras to viofo, and etc. So I was looking forward to this. But so far epic FAIL.

I actually just think this is for another country and not for north american market. I think there housing needs some modifications for this market.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on Mangoal, do they sell a lot of these OEM Style dashcams in China?
Or is this a new venture for them?
Wouldn't be surprising if the Chinese version of the car was different to yours.

I notice on their web site that virtually all the vehicles they feature are American brands, such as Ford, Cadillac, Dodge Ram, Buick, etc., so the problem with DIY installation appears to lie elsewhere.

I notice on their web site that virtually all the vehicles they feature are American brands, such as Ford, Cadillac, Dodge Ram, Buick, etc., so the problem with DIY installation appears to lie elsewhere.
Its weird because the ID4 in north america does not have USB pop out. This one does which is why I say it seems it is not made for this market

I am really not happy about this noone is responding to me from Mangoal. and then the same person who I have been trying to get answer from emails me this today.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 9.00.56 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 9.00.56 AM.png
    223 KB · Views: 16
I am really not happy about this noone is responding to me from Mangoal. and then the same person who I have been trying to get answer from emails me this today.

Also seems peculiar that Vincent is writing to you from a Gmail address rather than from a dedicated domain from Mangoal.

Also seems peculiar that Vincent is writing to you from a Gmail address rather than from a dedicated domain from Mangoal.
I have had 2 different people email me in last week asking me to test their product. I just thought it would be great to test the product but now its just taking up space.

I have had 2 different people email me in last week asking me to test their product. I just thought it would be great to test the product but now its just taking up space.

As a retailer, I would assume that you mostly review cameras that might be candidates for you to eventually sell and if this is the way these guys operate it seems best to avoid them. While you seem to primarily make your money actually selling and installing stuff other "reviewers/influencers" make their money entirely from YouTube views, affiliate links and collecting thousands of dollars worth of free merchandise they get paid, "in kind" by manufacturers and retailers. I have no doubt that Mangoal will eventually find someone like that to form the kind of "partnership" they are looking for. Very likely you are not the only one on their list these emails from Mangoal are going out to and it seems as if they forget that they've already contacted you.

As a retailer, I would assume that you mostly review cameras that might be candidates for you to eventually sell and if this is the way these guys operate it seems best to avoid them. While you seem to primarily make your money actually selling and installing stuff other "reviewers/influencers" make their money entirely from YouTube views, affiliate links and collecting thousands of dollars worth of free merchandise they get paid, "in kind" by manufacturers and retailers. I have no doubt that Mangoal will eventually find someone like that to form the kind of "partnership" they are looking for. Very likely you are not the only one on their list these emails from Mangoal are going out to and it seems as if they forget that they've already contacted you.
Yes part of that is researching competitors products. The other part is showing people how competitors products work compared to the ones we offer. Sometimes the product works well and it interests us.

Back