Memory card for Viofo A129

It's silly to expect issues in days or several weeks from purchase day. Even talking about "no issues" in less than a year is ridiculous. Product should work with no issues several years.

Is great, but still a month is not relevant enough.
You are right about warranty, it dosen't matter when you talking about losing data.
I found this:

"Endurance: slow and reliable, can handle more write cycles. Use it for data that frequently fills the card and gets overwritten, such as in dashcams or security cams. Evo: fast, handles fewer write cycles. Use it for storing images and data that isn't replaced often. "

On EVO official page is this: Product Limited 10 year warranty. * Warranty not valid when used in dashcam, CCTV, surveillance camera and other write-intensive devices.
I've been using the 128GB version of this card for 8 months without issues. The camera is constantly on between normal/parking mode on average 14 hrs daily, camera is off when car is at home in the garage. I have the camera set to alert me to format every 60 days.

I've also been using the 256GB version of this card in my other car for a month without issue, also using an A129 cam.

At around $20 US for 128Gb and $40+ for 256Gb, you can't beat the price of these vs significantly more expensive endurance cards.

Last edited:
It's silly to expect issues in days or several weeks from purchase day. Even talking about "no issues" in less than a year is ridiculous. Product should work with no issues several years.
The dash cam is constantly writing data to the sd card so I would not expect it to last 7 years (nand has a limited lifespan even if it's MLC based) maybe 3 years (I had one sd card last me a very long time over 2 years and that was just some random brand was still working until I retired that Dashcam)

I am looking at getting the Kingston 128gb endurance card with the a129 Dashcam as they are quite cheap at the moment but it's Kingston so really unsure if its worth it

I assume anything endurance rated should be MLC based as seems to be missing from a lot of sites fail to mentioned what the say samsung pro Endurance and other type of Endurance based sd cards are

There are also industrial sd cards as well but I find them to be a bit flaky if they work or not

Last edited:
With the beta software for buffered parking mode available now, I'm wondering what will be the effect on memory card's life expectancy?

Since the A129 wasn't built with buffering in mind and it was added later, Viofo is likely to buffer to the memory card (not enough built-in RAM to keep it internal) and overwrite the buffer continually on the card unless there's an event. That buffer need to be somewhere!

With the buffered parking, the card is now being used 100% of the time, no matter if the car is driven or parked.
Before the buffered parking mode, the card was written to only when there was a trigger of the car was driven.

With the beta software for buffered parking mode available now, I'm wondering what will be the effect on memory card's life expectancy?

Since the A129 wasn't built with buffering in mind and it was added later, Viofo is likely to buffer to the memory card (not enough built-in RAM to keep it internal) and overwrite the buffer continually on the card unless there's an event. That buffer need to be somewhere!

With the buffered parking, the card is now being used 100% of the time, no matter if the car is driven or parked.
Before the buffered parking mode, the card was written to only when there was a trigger of the car was driven.
It is buffered to internal RAM memory, no need to worry, and the A129 was actually built with enough memory for future upgrades in mind.

I assume anything endurance rated should be MLC based as seems to be missing from a lot of sites fail to mentioned what the say samsung pro Endurance and other type of Endurance based sd cards are
At least with the Samsung, they do tell us how many write cycles it will endure, so we can work out what size card we need to obtain the required life time - double the card size and you double the lifetime, the bigger endurance cards do give several years of 24/7/365 at standard bitrates.

It is buffered to internal RAM memory, no need to worry, and the A129 was actually built with enough memory for future upgrades in mind.
One more reason to "force" me into buying one of these... Thanks Nigel! :)

VIofo has low bitrate recording which utilizes the memory card when parked. So no real difference, with the only thing behind, that it's now recording before and after the event if event detection is enabled vs. Low Bitrate Recording.

Why is Sandisk considered nowadays as bad memory card? Is it about reliability and/or endurance?

Entry level SanDisk Ultra cards should be avoided, their other models are no problem
Is SanDisk Ultra SDXC UHS-I A1 entry class or is it good?

Warranties provided herein do not extend to any use of the product for or with continuous recording instruments or any other write-intensive devices, including without limitation security cameras, surveillance systems, dashboard cameras, black box cameras, internet protocol/network cameras, continuous recording set top box devices, continuous data logging devices like servers, dedicated devices for benchmarking tests, or the primary drive for certain devices, and any other excessive use(s).

on samsung website says that:
Limited 10 year warranty. * Warranty not valid when used in dashcam, CCTV, surveillance camera and other write-intensive devices. * Warranty for SD adapter is limited to 1 year.
View attachment 48263Link: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...rd-w--adapter-64gb--2017-model--mb-mc64ga-am/
That is because it is also limited by number of writes, and if you use a dashcam then you can reach the write limit before the 10 year limit. They are still good cards and used by a lot of people for dashcams.

I just purchased a Sandisk (A1) 200gb sd card for the a129 duo, upgrading from Sandisk (A1) 128gb which has been faultless but just wanted a tad more recording space, will this 200gb Sandisk sd card be supported/working ok like the 128gb? I presume so!

Some brands produced "endurance" series card in terms of being resistant to any accidents or emergencies in vehicle cameras.
For example,
Kingston Endurance
Sandisk High Endurance
Samsung Pro Endurance

Up to 256GB Micro SD Card Class 10 support written in viofo a129 specifications

Back