Memory card for Viofo A129

dude2017

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Viofo A 129 Duo
Hello together which memory card up to 256GB can one use for the Viofo A129 Duo? Samsung or other brands?

From what the Street Guardian guys say, the Sandisk A1 and Samsung Evo Select U3 should be good. I don't think the other recommended cards come in 256 GB.

I purchased this Sandisk Ultra A1 256gb card for my A129 and although it has only been days, I’ve experienced no issue thus far.

StreetGuardian USA has been testing this same card in their cams a while now and recommend it. It’s important to make sure it’s the new A1 Ultra branded cards from Sandisk.

I'm currently using a Samsung 128gb Evo+ for about 2-3 weeks so far and haven't had any issues yet.

Samsung EVO Plus microSDXC 256GB - somebody tested this memory with A129 Duo?
Somebody tested any other memory (256G) than Sandisk Ultra A1?

256gb cards are out of my budget ;)

anyone know the difference between the Samsung EVO SELECT and Samsung EVO PLUS?

anyone know the difference between the Samsung EVO SELECT and Samsung EVO PLUS?
The colour, the Select cards are green, the Plus cards are orange, although the shade changes with every minor new version.

The Select cards are an Amazon special, so generally not faked because they shouldn't be available except from Amazon. The Plus cards are often faked.

Sometimes you get a newer/older version so there may be some other differences, but basically it is the colour.

Just note, the warranty is limited in the event of surveillance use. Unfortunately I can't find any statement of how it's limited ie whether it's shorter or void.

However, generally most cards are not warranted for dashcam use unless of the Endurance type, which are the best in any event, as they tend to use a more expensive type of memory that can take many more writes. Ordinary SD memory is not so suited to repeated constant writes / re-writes and wears out a lot more quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Just note, the warranty is limited in the event of surveillance use. Unfortunately I can't find any statement of how it's limited ie whether it's shorter or void.

However, generally most cards are warranted for dashcam use unless of the Endurance type, which are the best in any event, as they tend to use a more expensive type of memory that can take many more writes. Ordinary SD memory is not so suited to repeated constant writes / re-writes and wears out a lot more quickly.
Although it may not be documented, they will limit it based on write cycles, exactly the same as for the endurance cards. If it fails after maybe 80% of the expected write cycle lifetime then they wont replace it. The expected lifetime is actually about the same as most endurance cards, with the exception of Samsung's new endurance version.

I'd be very surprised if it could take the same number of writes (not saying it can't as I haven't seen Samsung's specs beyond the very basic ones I found) but usually cheaper cards use MLC or TLC nand, whereas endurance cards use SLC nand which is more reliable and higher endurance to constant writing (think I have that the right way around).

I'd be very surprised if it could take the same number of writes (not saying it can't as I haven't seen Samsung's specs beyond the very basic ones I found) but usually cheaper cards use MLC or TLC nand, whereas endurance cards use SLC nand which is more reliable and higher endurance to constant writing (think I have that the right way around).

SanDisk and Transcend High Endurance cards use MLC flash

Doesn't transcend use Super MLC for High Endurance and normal MLC for oridnary spec cards?

Yes. I'm pretty sure Transcend developed something they call Super MLC that mimics the properties of SLC but is much cheaper to produce.

Edit: I've done a bit of googling, and found this on the Transcend Website:

https://us.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Essay-7

The table there appears to show, Super MLC in High endurance has 10 times the write cycle lifespan of standard MLC. I'm presuming that's what's in their endurance range of cards although you'd have to check that out for yourself.

Pretty sure Transcend Endurance is what is in mine.

Samsung EVO Plus microSDXC 256GB - somebody tested this memory with A129 Duo?
Somebody tested any other memory (256G) than Sandisk Ultra A1?
We do testing with this Samsung 256GB card, works fine until now.

Back