Memory Cards for B40/A118/AE-CC30

So if we can't trust a big store like Amazon, do we turn to the vendor who makes the mem. card?
I often by through Ebay, but you really need to be cautious.
I have used Sandisk with good results in my Canon elph 300HS. BUT!
I would just buy the memory card from Amazon in its regular packaging. I've had no problems with that and I always will verify that the card has the memory advertised when I receive it. They wouldn't go through the trouble of repackaging it in a new clamshell package, I'd imagine it just gets sent back to the manufacture or written off (Amazon that is)

well, having bought 3 different brand memory cards from amazon with hassle free packaging, i have no qualms. i avoid the noname junk, and don't shop just by price. i stick with brands that have been around a while, like transcend, adata, kingston, crucial, etc. once i pick a capacity, i buy the name brand that's cheapest. haven't had a bad card yet, including the 64gb microsd card i bought last month for $30 with free shipping, for use in my phone.

Got a ---- 32 Gig Samsung off Amazon for $17 - why cheap out :) - so far so good - two weeks ......... and counting.

Samsung Electronics 32GB EVO Micro SDHC with Adapter Up to 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP32DA/AM)

Ok I see some chap got the 64Gb version, nice may try that one on the next one I get.

Ok I see some chap got the 64Gb version, nice may try that one on the next one I get.
i said i boughta 64gb card, but i was talking about the frustration free packaging - i haven't tried the 64gb card in my camera, as 32gb is plenty for me. all i was saying was that this particular one was an Adata card, and it came in Adata packaging, not a generic white paperboard envelope like my last SD card. however, unlike a lot of the sandwich style packaging, this Adata had a nice easy tear strip at the top and the plastic case with the SD card and adapter fell right into my hand. so not all "frustration free" stuff is returns. some manufacturers are just making easier to open packaging.

Last edited:
Hello my friends,

This is my first post here!

Having read your valuable reviews and comments, I ordered a new A118 dashcam. It will arrive in a couple of weeks, so I am now looking for the right MicroSD Card.
Did you have any compatibility issues with this Kingston: SDCA10/32GBSP Micro SDHC Class 10 UHS-I ?

Regards

Hi Pitt

Class10 is overrated (more like Class6), but it works fine in my A118 (and also one in my Cellphone and the 16GB-Variant in my Tablet; not the fastest, but reliable...)

Hi mike-k

Thank you for your fast response.
Something tells me that you are talking about this one, not the one I posted above. Perhaps I am wrong...

Regards

Hi mike-k

Thank you for your fast response.
Something tells me that you are talking about this one, not the one I posted above. Perhaps I am wrong...

Regards
No, he's saying that his card has a class 10 label but it performs like a class 6. That Kingston is lying about the speed ratings.

Actually, he's right; I've been talking about the SDC (those I mentioned on page1), while he asked for SDCA...

So they are - most probably - different card-types...

Sorry, overread the "A" when I answered...

Yes, exactly! I’m talking about the one that supports the UHS-I bus interface.
I do not know if the A118 supports the Ultra High Speed-1 protocol (it seems that it works fine even with slower cards), but those cards are supposed to work in any SDHC compatible device at lower speeds.

I’ve read that this card is quite fast both in writing and reading, but some have encountered disconnection problems when used with Android 4.4.
It works fine with other versions of Android. That’s why I asked for your opinion.

Have a nice day!

That's bizarre as I used the Sandisk 64GB SDXC in mine at the weekend and it seemed fine - recorded six hours of footage without a blip.

*sigh* How has the 64GB card worked? I was afraid that a 64GB card wouldn't work.

I have a Sandisk SDSDQU-064G 64GB card here, but I ordered a 32GB for my B40/A118 which is on the way, thus the *sigh*.

You'll have to format 64Gb card to FAT32 using one of the free card formatting tools from the Internet. The card should work with the dashcam. I use Samsung 64 Gb card though.

Yes, exactly! I’m talking about the one that supports the UHS-I bus interface.
I do not know if the A118 supports the Ultra High Speed-1 protocol (it seems that it works fine even with slower cards), but those cards are supposed to work in any SDHC compatible device at lower speeds.

I’ve read that this card is quite fast both in writing and reading, but some have encountered disconnection problems when used with Android 4.4.
It works fine with other versions of Android. That’s why I asked for your opinion.

Have a nice day!
kinda OT but android 4.4 is when google started really changing things about how android and apps are allowed to use the SD card. real pain in the ass for power users like us, but probably simplifies things for users who aren't very technical. also probably "helps" those simple users keep more stuff in the cloud, where google et al can charge for cloud storage and carriers can charge for bandwidth.

so don't let reviews talking about problems with android change what you think about a given sd card in a dashcam or other device.

back on topic - 6 hours on a 64gb card - that's not even 40gb worth of video - i get just shy of 5 hours on my 32gb card. seems you'd need 10 hours (including cycling) to really test a 64gb card. but maybe the newer 64gb sandisk cards don't present the issues that older, smaller sandisk cards do. who knows?

The A118 just arrived.

I formatted my 64GB card to FAT32...three times (Mac, Windows 7 DOS, Mini utility) I keep seeing Mass Storage on the A118 display, even though the storage shows up on the computer as a USB drive.
And man, that is small text.

Are only some models of MicroSD cards compatible?

I guess I'll hack with the 32GB when it gets here.

It will show mass storage if you are connected to your PC
Oh! Doh! Thanks!

I was hoping I could use USB power to try it out. I'll use a power hub with no computer connection.

I use Samsung 64GB EVO Micro SDXC card I bought fro here - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00IVPU7AO , formatted it on Windows 7 using "SmartDisk FAT32 format utility" and it works fine for the past few months with my dashcam.

And of course you'll need to disconnect camera from computer to test it as a dashcam : )

Back