Memory Cards for B40/A118/AE-CC30

Ok. i received a new Kingston card from Costco.
Put in this morning. Camera seemed to take it with no problem once but then i connected cam to my car...and i had to hit "reset" button again, just once this time (shouldnt hit that button at all).

What i noticed is this: usually this problem happens when my car is parked overnight only.
In the morning i have to 'reset' cam until it starts working, get to work, turn car off, work for 9 hours, come back to car, turn on and cam works instantly.
I wonder what the issue may be?

Switched to a Kingston SDC10/32GB (same type as I mentioned before, but 32GB instead of 16GB) - also no Problems
(... but the Cards are overrated with Class10 ;)

@kate
try to (re)initialize the SD-Card in the Camera (re-format the Card); if this is not working I would suggest a new thread, as I don't believe the reset-problem has to do with the SD-Card, if Sandisk AND Kingston are causing the same Problem...

Kate, since you tested a different SD card and have the same problem, another possibility is the power adapter is bad. Most of the time a faulty power adapter won't even turn on a unit, but sometimes a unit will still run but be unstable. Try another power adapter and test if you still have issue. Virtually any USB charger and mini-USB cable should be able to power on the camera. If you still have issue even with a different power supply your camera may be defective.

Switched to a Kingston SDC10/32GB (same type as I mentioned before, but 32GB instead of 16GB) - also no Problems
(... but the Cards are overrated with Class10 ;)

@kate
try to (re)initialize the SD-Card in the Camera (re-format the Card); if this is not working I would suggest a new thread, as I don't believe the reset-problem has to do with the SD-Card, if Sandisk AND Kingston are causing the same Problem...

Hey,

I tried this just now - formatted card in the camera.
didn't work!

At this point, all I want to do is to return the cam.

Kate, since you tested a different SD card and have the same problem, another possibility is the power adapter is bad. Most of the time a faulty power adapter won't even turn on a unit, but sometimes a unit will still run but be unstable. Try another power adapter and test if you still have issue. Virtually any USB charger and mini-USB cable should be able to power on the camera. If you still have issue even with a different power supply your camera may be defective.

I don't think the power adapter is the problem.
I took the cam with me to the office and formatted the card right in it as per Mike-K suggestion.
Gave it a 10-15 min and turned the cam back ON.

Still the goddamn "welcome" screen.
I now think I got a lemon..
I contacted Jokiin to see where he sells his cameras since there seems to be no issues with his .....

I don't think the power adapter is the problem.
I took the cam with me to the office and formatted the card right in it as per Mike-K suggestion.
Gave it a 10-15 min and turned the cam back ON.

Still the goddamn "welcome" screen.
I now think I got a lemon..
I contacted Jokiin to see where he sells his cameras since there seems to be no issues with his .....
I have had no issues with our A118 from FoxOffer. As a very last try you could install latest A118 FW from FoxOffer....
Just received the following link from @billknow (FoxOffer) - to the latest A118 FW:-
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/firmware/A118/A118_20140821_FW.zip

Thanks Bill!:D

I don't know what the changes are, but I will be updating my A118 when 'she who must be obeyed' returns with the car....

Last edited:
I have had no issues with our A118 from FoxOffer. As a very last try you could install latest A118 FW from FoxOffer....

Thank you very much for your effort to look into this!

EBay seller is willing to take this cam back but I didn't tell them whether the cam was updated with firmware yet. (I cant recall what firmware it arrived with).
I am waiting for the seller to send me a link and/or answer from manufacturer whether there is an update for this cam.

Thank you very much for your effort to look into this!

EBay seller is willing to take this cam back but I didn't tell them whether the cam was updated with firmware yet. (I cant recall what firmware it arrived with).
I am waiting for the seller to send me a link and/or answer from manufacturer whether there is an update for this cam.
i don't think the firmware update is relevant to the return. don't bring it up.

@kate

sorry it didn't work... At least you tried it all, so there's no doubt that the cam has some ...issues...

Bit late posting but I use a Kingston 32GB MicroSDHC Class 10 in my A118. Haven't experienced any issues when using this card in any of my dash cams.

i had to laugh when i first heard of "amazon certified frustration-free packaging". i selected it on a whim when i bought the sd card for my phone last year, not knowing what to expect. it cost the same as the non-frustration-free item, so why not? turned out it was a thick paper envelope with a simple perforated tear-off strip, and inside was the instructions and the standard plastic click open/closed sd card case. no tools required, no sharp plastic packaging to slice me between my fingers, and easily recyclable. and since it was from amazon, if i had to return it, i could have just taped the envelope closed and sent it back if i had to.
I thought it was great when I first heard of it too...but regarding memory cards, I've heard horror stories of receiving bad cards from Amazon...due to people purchasing them, swapping for a bad card (example: buy a 32gb card, swap for a 2gb card labeled as 32gb), then returning it. It makes me wary to use the frustration-free packaging since some of those cards are probably returned cards that had the clamshell packaging cut :(

We use Kingston 32GB Class 10 cards in ours

jokiin, do you see a difference between SDHC vs SDHX on a Kingston 32GB?
Is 64GB overkill, such as in recording time? Seems to me that in loop mode 2-3 hours should suffice. Like a "black box" on an airplane.

I thought it was great when I first heard of it too...but regarding memory cards, I've heard horror stories of receiving bad cards from Amazon...due to people purchasing them, swapping for a bad card (example: buy a 32gb card, swap for a 2gb card labeled as 32gb), then returning it. It makes me wary to use the frustration-free packaging since some of those cards are probably returned cards that had the clamshell packaging cut :(

jokiin, do you see a difference between SDHC vs SDHX on a Kingston 32GB?
Is 64GB overkill, such as in recording time? Seems to me that in loop mode 2-3 hours should suffice. Like a "black box" on an airplane.
my math says i get about 5 hours before it overwrites the oldest file on my 32gb card. that's plenty for me.

So if we can't trust a big store like Amazon, do we turn to the vendor who makes the mem. card?
I often by through Ebay, but you really need to be cautious.
I have used Sandisk with good results in my Canon elph 300HS. BUT!

Back