Mini 0801 installation.

Neither can I but I plan defensively to accommodate blanket laws that may be invoked for some random control or minor traffic infringement. Not to mention some difficult traffic cop who has had a bad day and just itching to throw the book at someone.

My satnav is not at windscreen height and so intruding on any vision ahead. Instead it is embedded in the consul where the radio usually is on most cars. In fact, that is more dangerous in my opinion as it needs taking the eyes off the road to see it. It is rarely ever used and when it is I rely on the voice commands.

I believe that any 'video' appliance is illegal in the UK if the driver can see/watch it whilst the vehicle is in motion. An exception is made for equipment that is destined to aid the driver (e.g. navigation aids).

http://suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk/

I Personally think that these rules are Needed but also have to take into account common sense...

for instance my dash cam is in a position where the wiper wipes the glass, Just where the rear view mirror is, the only thing that it stops me seeing that might damage my car is a Plane, flying saucer, Helicopter, or Meteor/asteroid.
If they are going to hit my car then I don't think the dash camera would be the problem if any of those hit my car...

I also think that the traffic lights need changing in the land I live in the UK. they always place them on the Stop line on the road where you are not sitting. so if you stop on nose near the line you cant see the light change its in the blind spot behind the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Neither can I but I plan defensively to accommodate blanket laws that may be invoked for some random control or minor traffic infringement. Not to mention some difficult traffic cop who has had a bad day and just itching to throw the book at someone.

My satnav is not at windscreen height and so intruding on any vision ahead. Instead it is embedded in the consul where the radio usually is on most cars. In fact, that is more dangerous in my opinion as it needs taking the eyes off the road to see it. It is rarely ever used and when it is I rely on the voice commands.

Bit dramatic....

I'm more interested in protecting myself should some c@ck drive into me and then "forget" it was his fault.

I'm happy to take the risk that I may get pulled up my an irate police officer within 40seconds of my house who may take offense to a screen the size of a stamp above my mirror. The point I was making about sat navs on the windscreen was that over here people regularly have sat navs stuck on their screen low down, not only distracting them from driving but also blocking part of their view.

I have a customer, (I am a mechanic BTW) whos car has the Sat Nav in front of her like right in front, I have to take it off for the MOT, and every time I stick it back on at the side, she sticks it right in front of her. I don't get how she has not killed someone. You are talking not at the bottom of the screen in the Middle.. Like half way up eye height where you look forward. her phone is in front of her speedometer, the mount stuck to the glass/plastic covering the speed display.

Aha, the legendary British bobby, helpful and accommodating with a nod, a wink and a Nelsonian eye for the finer distinctions of the law.

Unlike you we have Teutonic precision and pedantry for all legal aspects coupled with eye-watering fines for any transgressions.

LOL In this country it depends on if you look right or not... I was pulled over for "doing the speed Limit" two times a day. I threw my keys at a traffic police car after being pulled five times in one day, I said I give up have the car and walked towards my house. He pulled up beside me and said what was that for. I explained the 600 odd Times that year I had been pulled over and that i had already been put on a warning at work for being late. due to the police stopping me every morning on the way in. And I was advised by the traffic Police Man that driving at the Speed limit looks suspicious, I should drive Just Over the limit around 3-5 MPH like all the other drivers. I didn't get pulled for Months in fact Since then I have Rarely Been pulled over.

Oh BTW I did look 12 I was actually 21 and it was a family Vauxhall Cavilier Mk2 Blue Hatchback. 1988 Model and this was in 1996/7 ish, it looked like I was driving my Mums car. But that's what I wanted.

I've set my screen to go off after 1 min plus I've got some black electrical tape over the led with a pinhole in as it was a bit bright for my liking. Ideally I'd prefer the screen to be off all the time and I may cover it with something at a later date.

I'm unaware of the law in the uk about cameras and their placement but I cant see how anyone could argue that a 1" camera can be any worse than a 6" sat nav screen sat much lower which has to restrict the drivers view.

I've done the tape thing, but without the pinhole. My cam is hidden behind my mirror, but the LED was illuminating the headlining!

The difference between the screens is that the 0801 screen is a video feed rather than an information display. Whether this distinction is made in law, I don't know.

Well, just just received the 0801 (pretty good delivery time, for France) and am just trying to work out if it functions. :rolleyes:

I'm a complete dashcam virgin, but I managed to get the supplied card in the right way, the little lights light up (which is good) and I had a play with the settings.

Sitting in the garage, it powers up and seems to record. :)

I then thought of reading the instructions - could find no mention of formatting the (new) card. Should I format it in the camera ?

I had understood that there was a viewing programme in the unit. Is that just me misunderstanding ?
It would be useful for showing the videos to a third party on their computer.

Since 20131202 the firmware includes a player which requires Quicktime to be installed. The player can be found on the SD Card.
Bit I would recommend this player: http://www.registratorviewer.com/

I feel I'm being slow on the uptake . . .

When connected to the computer, all I find is the videos (in .mov format) and the stills (in jpg). The "MISC" folder is empty.
Is this normal?
(Firmware = 20131026)

5iui.jpg

Last edited:
The 20131026 firmware didn't have the integral viewer, but you don't need it. Just use Registrator Viewer as suggested.

Thanks both :) . Was expecting it to ba a lot more complicated.

Will have to get out and do some driving now. !

Back