Mini 0801 installation.

Mr Black

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello all. I joined recently to work out which dashcam to buy (1st time dashcam), and have finally settled on the mini 0801 for three reasons 1) not expensive, 2) small - I don't even want to see my dashcam, 3) the video quality seems pretty good (sample videos on Techmoan).

Am a little wary of the quality, but can't really see another solution.

The car is already fitted with an in-built camera (for lane-keeping and speed sign recognition), and I would have loved to find a way of tapping into the video signal. But after much searching, just couldn't find a cheap recorder with decent video format.

Anyway, working on the motto "If at first . . . give up", I bit the bullet and ordered one from Joovuu. Don't know when I'll receive it, but will do a little write-up if that would help anyone.

Best regards.

Mr. B

Anyway, working on the motto "If at first . . . give up", I bit the bullet and ordered one from @JooVuu Don't know when I'll receive it, but will do a little write-up if that would help anyone.

Best regards.

Mr. B

it's always helpful to share your experience, others in the same situation can benefit from it I'm sure

Welcome over here. You managed to find someone who'll ship it to France in the end, then...?

Hello all. I joined recently to work out which dashcam to buy (1st time dashcam), and have finally settled on the mini 0801 for three reasons 1) not expensive, 2) small - I don't even want to see my dashcam, 3) the video quality seems pretty good (sample videos on Techmoan).

Am a little wary of the quality, but can't really see another solution.

The car is already fitted with an in-built camera (for lane-keeping and speed sign recognition), and I would have loved to find a way of tapping into the video signal. But after much searching, just couldn't find a cheap recorder with decent video format.

Anyway, working on the motto "If at first . . . give up", I bit the bullet and ordered one from Joovuu. Don't know when I'll receive it, but will do a little write-up if that would help anyone.

Best regards.

Mr. B

Hi Mr Black,
We shipped your order today and it should be with you shortly. Your countries postal service is currently experiencing a bit of a back log from Christmas (according to your shipping address) but it should be with you shortly. I phoned them this morning to get an update from all our major carriers. If you have any problems you can just contact us on here.

Kind regards,

Dan

Welcome over here. You managed to find someone who'll ship it to France in the end, then...?

Hi Troon, yes I found a lot of Chinese, quite a few Americans and . . . Joovuu . I settled for Joovuu (even though he put his price up the day before I ordered ;) ).

Best regards.

Hi Mr Black,
We shipped your order today and it should be with you shortly. Your countries postal service is currently experiencing a bit of a back log from Christmas (according to your shipping address) but it should be with you shortly. I phoned them this morning to get an update from all our major carriers. If you have any problems you can just contact us on here.
Kind regards,
Dan

Thanks - I got the email saying my order was sent. :)

I didn't think of asking you, but do you know what colour the 3M tape is on the mounts ? Grey ? Black ?

Thanks - I got the email saying my order was sent. :)

I didn't think of asking you, but do you know what colour the 3M tape is on the mounts ? Grey ? Black ?

Dear Mr Black,
As @jokiin, said it is most often grey. I believe this Mini 0801 is also grey.

Kind regards,

Here's mine;

This is it prior to being installed. I had to make the black plastic wedge to help the camera sit at the correct left/right angle as it only has adjustment on it is for up/down. Thankfully mine came with a spare sticky pad so I have one either side of the plastic wedge I made.

I ran the wire behind the head lining, down behind the A pillar and behind the glove box towards the centre console. I then wired it in to the back of the cigarette lighter socket so its all hidden and I still have access to the cigarette lighter when required.

Excuse the poor photos;

And here's the camera's view, slightly obscured by the windscreen tinting but in my opinion its a small price to pay to have the camera nicely hidden.

Last edited:
A very neat installation, especially to get behind the 12V socket. well done.

However, it does seem high up ... do your wipers clear the screen there?

A very neat installation, especially to get behind the 12V socket. well done.

However, it does seem high up ... do your wipers clear the screen there?
Yes I did check that, the wipers are quite large on my car and they almost touch the top of the screen.

I thought you must have checked, but, my, that is some clearance.

I once had a C-Class Mercedes with a very large, central, single, articulated wiper arm that as it swept it shortened as it approached the centre point and then lengthened again on the other side. An elegant and clever solution that worked well, clearing a large expanse with only a single blade but clearly an expensive one. Sometime later Daimler Benz resorted to the standard two-arm wipers on the C-Class that has nowhere near the same clearance area (and definitely not as large as yours) - almost certainly on cost grounds.

yes I know they type you talk of, they are quite impressive to watch in action.

I have seen the cameras mounted lower and may well produce better video because of it but my preference was to hide the camera as much as possible as the last thing i need is some little scrote smashing my window to pinch the thing.

Here's mine;

This is it prior to being installed. I had to make the black plastic wedge to help the camera sit at the correct left/right angle as it only has adjustment on it is for up/down. Thankfully mine came with a spare sticky pad so I have one either side of the plastic wedge I made.
I ran the wire behind the head lining, down behind the A pillar and behind the glove box towards the centre console. I then wired it in to the back of the cigarette lighter socket so its all hidden and I still have access to the cigarette lighter when required.

Excuse the poor photos;

A nice tidy installation - but it seems a shame to crop the left of the video. Wouldn't 2 or 3 cm to the right have given you the full image ?

The mount is right on the edge of the black shading of the windscreen and had I moved it any further to the right, it would have been visible from the outside and I really didn't want that

Do you guys think it's okay for me to mount the velcro to the black tint here, and it won't fall off?

photo (4).JPG

Velcro or Sticky pad? My sticky pad worked on the part similar to yours(although mine was totally blacked out) but just to be sure I added two little blobs of black silicone sealant on two sides just in case the summer sun heated up the adhesive and weakened it.

I would imagine Velcro would cause you issues with shake on the camera.

Here's mine;

I have some further thoughts about your installation.

Here in Switzerland this would be judged illegal - the screen is visible to the driver.

I know that by the time you are moving the video has shut off but by potentially being on permanently by menu choice (point 13 in the user's manual) it would not be allowed here and I wouldn't like to run into the occasional police controls we have.

I queried this point with the auto electrician who installed my glove compartment 12V socket and he confirmed I was legal by being completely obscured to the driver behind the rear-view mirror.

The law is a trifle inconsistent as my 2-DIN satnav screen can display a moving map, which is far more distracting, but if the system is directed at any video file it comes up with a blank screen with a comment about no video while vehicle is in motion.

Even ignoring the legality, I'm not sure I would like the blinking lights being always visible although I accept they confirm the charge and record status. However, when mine shut down involuntarily recently I was warned by the audible chime.

Incidentally, if you ever drive through Austria, be aware dash cams are not permitted at all. Not quite sure why.

Your concerns about theft and trying to make the cam less visible: looking from the front I think that being above the mirror outline makes it more visible and more like a camera. Just my impression.

Last edited:
I've set my screen to go off after 1 min plus I've got some black electrical tape over the led with a pinhole in as it was a bit bright for my liking. Ideally I'd prefer the screen to be off all the time and I may cover it with something at a later date.

I'm unaware of the law in the uk about cameras and their placement but I cant see how anyone could argue that a 1" camera can be any worse than a 6" sat nav screen sat much lower which has to restrict the drivers view.

I tried in the camera in a few positions, one where it was stuck onto the clear part of the glass, in my opinion it looked more obvious having something stuck directly against the glass.

Last edited:
I'm unaware of the law in the uk about cameras and their placement but I cant see how anyone could argue that a 1" camera can be any worse than a 6" sat nav screen sat much lower which has to restrict the drivers view.
Neither can I but I plan defensively to accommodate blanket laws that may be invoked for some random control or minor traffic infringement. Not to mention some difficult traffic cop who has had a bad day and just itching to throw the book at someone.

My satnav is not at windscreen height and so intruding on any vision ahead. Instead it is embedded in the consul where the radio usually is on most cars. In fact, that is more dangerous in my opinion as it needs taking the eyes off the road to see it. It is rarely ever used and when it is I rely on the voice commands.

Back