Mini 0801 with and without GPS

Rob Wild

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm a newbie, I've just received a mini 0801 from E-prance. The eBay listing was for one with the GPS logger, but they sent a cam without it. I thought that they could just send the GPS bracket and disc, and that would resolve the problem. However, in their broken English they are now saying that I need to return it as the mini 0801 without GPS won't work with the GPS bracket. Does anyone know if this is true or is it hogwash? Merry Xmas!

hard to say without knowing what you bought but there are sellers that list the GPS bracket as an accessory and there are versions that certainly work with or without, firmware may vary though, if they've sent you the incorrect one they're the ones that should be sorting it out

The bracket for the with or without gps is almost same, the main difference is there is gps unit in the bracket of the gps version, and firmware is also different.

Read the ebay listing description again and check their return policy. If they are at fault, they should at least handle the return shipping costs.

My daughter bough me a none GPS Mini 801 foe Christmas, she bought it from Amazon, after placing the order she got an e-mail from Amazon stating that if she bought the GPS mount the camera would be essentiall upgraded to the GPS version.

As my birthday was 10th Jan my son said he would get me the GPS Mount, as described on Amazon.

Well evem though I have upgraded the Firmware to the lates version for none internal card with GPS, I do not have the GPS symbol on the display???

So I guess that there is actually a difference in the circuitry within the camera, maybe from the pins within the mounting area as it obviously only needs the 2 pins for power.

Anyone have any ideas???

Do you have this setting:
no13i0yscgwtr.jpg

set to this:
no2h695sqbwrj.jpg

Yes but no GPS symbol on display (ignore black lines they are on the screen protector)
upload_2014-1-11_15-45-24.jpeg

Unless you have it connected to the GPS mount and external power applied, there will be no GPS logo.

Yes tried that, it's in the mount and powered through it in the photo

I am now thinking the GPS mount may be faulty, will try with a guy at work who has one and I know his works

Yes tried that, it's in the mount and powered through it in the photo

I am now thinking the GPS mount may be faulty, will try with a guy at work who has one and I know his works

Fortunate to be in the position to be able to do that, it's a good test, as long as his one is a similar age as yours, early versions used a different GPS module and they're not backward compatible

OK Checked with another user who has GPS working, and my camera still not showing GPS, given the type of product I do not see the manufacturer designing 2 different circuits just for GPS / nonGPS.

I am now thinking it may be a wiring thing, maybe for the non GPS model they market there are just minor wiring changes / omissions etc.

But heyho I can live with it, I am sending the GPS base back.

You should try another GPS enabled firmware just to be sure..

maybe a stupid question...Is your GPS set to open or close?

Hi. Perhaps this helps.

I ordered the mini 0801 No GPS, No internal memory version, E-PRANCE, Amazon UK this Christmas (FW 20131230) by mistake (Not realising there were so many versions, I wanted GPS) but still ordered the additional GPS bracket as well.

Flashed with:
20131202 MPH only + GPS + External card
from Tobi@s link: http://p-mc.eu/dc/?page=mini0801.firmware

Had a little trouble renaming .bin file wouldn’t accept it so made multiple copies with recommended naming under the FAQ page ‘Firmware Update Instructions’ and copied all to the card, turn on, left it alone and hey presto..! (Don’t forget to delete the files before turning on again)

Confirmed working OK, now have GPS and options. (Hope it lasts!)

Great forum, saved me allot of ball-ache with E-PRANCE and Amazon UK…

Hi. Perhaps this helps.

I ordered the mini 0801 No GPS, No internal memory version, E-PRANCE, Amazon UK this Christmas (FW 20131230) by mistake (Not realising there were so many versions, I wanted GPS) but still ordered the additional GPS bracket as well.

Flashed with:
20131202 MPH only + GPS + External card
from Tobi@s link: http://p-mc.eu/dc/?page=mini0801.firmware

Had a little trouble renaming .bin file wouldn’t accept it so made multiple copies with recommended naming under the FAQ page ‘Firmware Update Instructions’ and copied all to the card, turn on, left it alone and hey presto..! (Don’t forget to delete the files before turning on again)

Confirmed working OK, now have GPS and options. (Hope it lasts!)

Great forum, saved me allot of ball-ache with E-PRANCE and Amazon UK…

Tried that too still no joy, guess its hit and miss if none GPS will work with GPS base as a GPS camera, maybe it is a wiring issue where some are wired and others not. May take a look inside see if GPS data pins are wired in the camera.

Last edited:
As my replacement 0801 from e-prance doesn't seem to detect the GPS mount, I thought I'd have a look to see if any of the wires to the connector are damaged.

gpsmountconnector.jpg

I see that they all look OK, but there are only three pins connected. Is that normal? If so, what is the fourth pin for?

Thats the problem I guess. Heres mine:
abce4nab0uy19.jpg

Thanks. Very interesting indeed. How old is your 0801? There is talk of them having changed, but losing a connector seems surprising.

Back