Mini 0801 with and without GPS

I'm certain that the older models has a four-connection GPS base and more recent ones have a three-connection GPS base. I assume the changeover was around the end of 2013. As long as you have matching camera and base it doesn't matter which they are.

It appears that I was originally supplied wth a four-connection setup and then the replacement camera was a three-connection one.

If e-prance would supply a replacement GPS base all would be OK, but they refuse to do that unless I pay them for it.

Guess who I'd never buy anything from in future!

I emailed eprance asking them if I can use my existing gps with the newly ordered camera without gps and this is what they're saying. I'm not sure exactly what they meant but I'm guessing that if I update the firmware it'll work???

Their response:
Thank you for your orders=)
Really sorry to tell you that it couldn't use the GPS if you use the GPS mount holder. since they are not the same version. Hope your kindly understanding.While I would like help you to update the firmware. but I should statement I couldn't bear for you if you update with any problems since it is out of our company rules. if you trust us and have the experience to update firmware please inform me, I will help you after you got the device.
Your understanding and your help will be highly appreciated.
Sincerely, Nancy^_^

Upgrading the firmware will NOT make a new camera work with an old GPS mount. Well, it will hold the camera and will power the camera, but the GPS won't work.

So if your old camera was a four-wire one the new three-wire camera won't work with the old GPS mount.

"Company Rules" is the reason they refused to replace the GPS mount after they had replaced an old (faulty from new) camera with a new camera which won't work with the old mount they supplied me.

As a result my "Personal Rules" say that e-prance are not a company to trust and you should not buy from them.

Hi,

GPS base was bought about a month ago. The mini0801 should not be "old" as it is *just* bought...it is being shipped to me right now.

I beg to differ. It is a very important feature to have in case you are the victim of a hit-and-runner. You have only video footage as proof and as a way to ID the culprit. Much like with the parking mode really.

+1, 9 times out of 10 you might not needing number plate recognition, but if you're going to be spending some good money on a DVR then for those few extra $$$ for that one in ten,times you will need plate recognition, its going to be good value for money to have,

also it stands to reason if its good enough to capture the number plate, its going to be able to capture good footage, day or (hopefully) night too

I emailed eprance asking them if I can use my existing gps with the newly ordered camera without gps and this is what they're saying. I'm not sure exactly what they meant but I'm guessing that if I update the firmware it'll work???

Their response:
Thank you for your orders=)
Really sorry to tell you that it couldn't use the GPS if you use the GPS mount holder. since they are not the same version. Hope your kindly understanding.While I would like help you to update the firmware. but I should statement I couldn't bear for you if you update with any problems since it is out of our company rules. if you trust us and have the experience to update firmware please inform me, I will help you after you got the device.
Your understanding and your help will be highly appreciated.
Sincerely, Nancy^_^
If they send you a firmware update please let me know about it.

You're missing the point: the one with the sharper images is not a few extra dollars, it is many dollars CHEAPER.

even better, my point was, if it did cost more, (for me) it would be well worth it, but if it's even cheaper, then I can't see any reason why not to get it

Well I got my Mini 0801 today from ePrance. Checked the firmware and it's 20140116 as we already have it here already. Go into setting and the GPS is set to "open". I plugged it in my existing GPS base and the yellow GPS satellite appears on the screen. This means it is working with my GPS right? If so I guess I don't have to mess with the firmware update..thanks.

Back